ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after the Kentucky losd

This program hasn’t made back to back tournaments in quite some time but people want to jump off the ledge because they’ll likely end up as a 7 seed a year after being a 2.
I think they just don’t believe we are getting in the tournament unless we finish 6-2 and get an sec tourney game win. Just forgive them, they were conditioned to think this way for a very long time

This is simply not true. He makes lazy, powder puff passes every game that cost us dearly. In addition, he constantly loses the ball dribbling.
Sure he makes a few of those as well, but he makes several really good ones. He did last night as well where nobody could make a shot off them

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
@Harper41 I’m concerned with the teams’ confidence.
Keon’s body language when he misses.

I also see some immaturity in the huddle from a few players. Appears they are not taking coaching very well. I think someone might have taken this last game off because of his mouth and attitude.

Shack was tired and quinerly was off.

Rojas probably needs to stick to screening and rebounding.

I was at the game, Bama got good looks all night but someone put a lid on the basket.

One thing that is bothering me about the team’s defense.

The opponents spread the floor and beat our defenders fairly easily off dribble penetration and then sucks in help defense, dribbler lobs to a BIG for a dunk. Or the offense gets an easy Putback on the weak side.

The bama defense seems to get hurt with this too much after playing their tails off.

Shouldn’t there be one extra defender rotating to help on the abandoned big? I don’t see that happening .

Reactions: BigET84
@Harper41 I’m concerned with the teams’ confidence.
Keon’s body language when he misses.

I also see some immaturity in the huddle from a few players. Appears they are not taking coaching very well. I think someone might have taken this last game off because of his mouth and attitude.

Shack was tired and quinerly was off.

Rojas probably needs to stick to screening and rebounding.

I was at the game, Bama got good looks all night but someone put a lid on the basket.

One thing that is bothering me about the team’s defense.

The opponents spread the floor and beat our defenders fairly easily off dribble penetration and then sucks in help defense, dribbler lobs to a BIG for a dunk. Or the offense gets an easy Putback on the weak side.

The bama defense seems to get hurt with this too much after playing their tails off.

Shouldn’t there be one extra defender rotating to help on the abandoned big? I don’t see that happening .
Miles has a major temper problem in practice. It got him suspended a game earlier this year as well when he quit in the middle of practice. This team in general misses the absolute hell out of herb Jones leadership. You are 100% correct on the body language and the not taking coaching well. That’s my biggest concern, will we be in the right place mentally?

I was told before the game that Shack was sick but wasn’t going to miss that game. You could see he was off. I don’t see Miles with the team next year.

Reactions: cola68
More than a few bad passes. Pay attention to how many times he makes a bad pass and the other team scores. Those careless turnovers add up - maybe 4 point swings each time.
Simply put, if he can play at a fast paced on instincts he is good. He is pretty awful at playing point guard right now. He makes some really good passes at times but you are right the turnovers are maddening

Where was Miles last night? I saw he was suspended or something but it wasn't exactly announced.

I thought the team was at about 110% effort for most of that game. They were active and all over the court. They matched a great rebounding team and kept their offense in check for most of the game before hitting a wall late. UK and AU are awful matchups for us but Bediako at least showed up ready to play and gave us some help inside.

Mid second half the cumulative effect of never hitting a shot really seemed to weigh on the team. We didn't get a legit timeout between like 11 minutes and 6 minutes left in the game. I thought Oats should have taken a timeout around 9:30 to go and again if he had to force the under 8 timeout. That long stretch wasn't the best lineup either. So we really struggled in the time we were still within 10 points. Just a couple 3s there and the whole game plays out differently.

Reactions: rsaxoniii
Where was Miles last night? I saw he was suspended or something but it wasn't exactly announced.

I thought the team was at about 110% effort for most of that game. They were active and all over the court. They matched a great rebounding team and kept their offense in check for most of the game before hitting a wall late. UK and AU are awful matchups for us but Bediako at least showed up ready to play and gave us some help inside.

Mid second half the cumulative effect of never hitting a shot really seemed to weigh on the team. We didn't get a legit timeout between like 11 minutes and 6 minutes left in the game. I thought Oats should have taken a timeout around 9:30 to go and again if he had to force the under 8 timeout. That long stretch wasn't the best lineup either. So we really struggled in the time we were still within 10 points. Just a couple 3s there and the whole game plays out differently.
You’re asking a lot asking for just a couple 3’s. It could have taken us 20 more attempts to get a couple.

• Haha
Reactions: Codie B

Agree with basically all of this. If oats only evolves in one area, I want it to be using timeouts. They are simply rarely a necessity in late game situation. Saving 1 or 2 timeouts is plenty to maybe talk strategy late or set up a last second play. The rest should be used to help the team along at times if the game that get stagnant or out of control. Cal is the king of that.

btw for some perspective….
25-64 fg(5% below season average) and 8-30 from 3(4% below season average) would have been worth 19 additional points.

historically bad shooting night. We could have had a below average night and won easily

So you’re saying they only win 2-3 more rest of the way? Got it.
Yes that’s exactly what I am saying. Good news is I can continue to bet against them and win big. It’s a win win for me. I believe there was a Don Knotts spoof western movie in the 60’s called “THE GANG WHO COULDNT SHOOT STRAIGHT “ I think we have some candidates for a sequel!

Agree with basically all of this. If oats only evolves in one area, I want it to be using timeouts. They are simply rarely a necessity in late game situation. Saving 1 or 2 timeouts is plenty to maybe talk strategy late or set up a last second play. The rest should be used to help the team along at times if the game that get stagnant or out of control. Cal is the king of that.

btw for some perspective….
25-64 fg(5% below season average) and 8-30 from 3(4% below season average) would have been worth 19 additional points.

historically bad shooting night. We could have had a below average night and won easily
Totally agree about the lack of Oats calling timely TOs. Does he think he's not getting paid during TOs?

Reactions: couppe
Totally agree about the lack of Oats calling timely TOs. Does he think he's not getting paid during TOs?

It blows my mind that it's not a natural thing for Oats. When I coached little kids a few years I would sometimes use all my timeouts at once to get my point across and we'd be winning by 20.. I'm kind of a no mercy style coach and can't stand when they would let up.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
Miles has a major temper problem in practice. It got him suspended a game earlier this year as well when he quit in the middle of practice. This team in general misses the absolute hell out of herb Jones leadership. You are 100% correct on the body language and the not taking coaching well. That’s my biggest concern, will we be in the right place mentally?
You nailed it. Bottom line is that all other issues (poor shooting, etc.) aside, the biggest issue this year is that nobody has remotely replaced the leadership and defensive intensity that Herb brought every game. We've lost 7 games where we scored 76 points or more, and in 2 of those we scored over 80 points. Bad shooting or not, you score that many points and lose that falls on your defense.

Harp - thanks for starting these threads after each game. Always enjoy your thoughts and reading everyone's input.

Big picture for me - still thrilled we have Coach Oats and the staff. Best recruiting class we've ever had coming in, won the SEC last year, 183M new arena coming, we've beaten three teams from last year's final four this season.

I am disappointed in the 14-9 record. Bothers me to lose to Iona, Mizzou, and UGA. I think all the other losses I can take, even though of course various things bothered me about each loss.

In the movie Hoosiers coach Norman Dale told the player Strap, "Don't shoot the ball unless you are under the goal by yourself". I think those words would be meaningful for Rojas, Bediako, and Gary as well.

Biggest thing this team is missing to me is on the court leadership. Herb Jones and that whole senior class are very much missed. We just don't have that guy this season, and it shows.

I can't remember a more head case team in a while. Hard for scholarshipped ball players to go 3 for 30. It's like a baseball team that can't get a hit for weeks at a time. Right now we just don't believe it's going to go in, and it is not.

I've seen enough to know that Shack, JQ, Keon, and Gurley are all good shooters, despite what the stats say. They just have to find their confidence, their mojo, once again. That's on coach to do that. I keep thinking if it were me, I'd have a film session where we showed some of the great shooting games each of these guys have had. Keon against Miami earlier this season. Shack vs Maryland in the tournament last year or against the Zags this year. You get the point. It's like they need to watch and remember what they are capable of.

I thought we outplayed UK significantly for parts of the game. I was worried when it was 9-1 and could have been about 21-1 (we'd already missed several wide open threes).

JD needs to find his confidence as well. We've seen what he can do when he's feeling good. He also has been almost unplayable at times with the horrible turnovers he's had (while also having some of the best assists).

We need to go to Oxford and get a win, and get rolling again. No reason given our schedule we can't get back in the big dance. We beat Baylor. AU played the game of their lives against us. We outplayed UK much of the game but couldn't throw it in the ocean. All top 5 teams.

Still a lot to play for - don't give up. Roll Tide

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT