ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama’s Gritty Win at Auburn

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Between watching my kids and getting a party together for my daughter’s first birthday, I was in and out of watching the game. What a game it was.

I just rewatched it and wow what a game. It was a physical game throughout where Auburn got the benefit of the calls in the first half, but Alabama did in the second half. If Alabama hit its free throws, it would’ve been a blowout. Give credit to Auburn hanging tough, but they just didn’t have the depth or talent to last 40 minutes against Bama.

Rylan Griffen came up huge, Mark Sears hit huge shots, and I thought Jaden Bradley played his best game in a few weeks. It was truly a team effort everywhere. Auburn was shooting well above their average for about 30 minutes of the game (you knew they would), but Alabama hung around and really attacked the rim. Alabama shot 6/21 from 3 and missed 10 FTs, but they shot 23/28 from inside the paint and that was the difference.

I was very impressed with Charles Bediako. For a moment there in the first half, he was Alabama’s best player. He was finding open guys, playing excellent defense on Broome, and playing aggressive. Alabama is at their best when he and Clowney are playing that way.

This team showed they’re built for March. They were down 15 at Houston, down 9 at Auburn, and has shown nothing fazes them. The more Alabama plays, the more games like OU, UConn, and Gonzaga are outlier games. Everything that could’ve went wrong, did. I don’t see but a couple teams that can match up with this team’s talent, athleticism, and depth for 40 minutes.

Alabama is now 12-0 in conference and travel to Knoxville for a showdown with Tennessee, who is coming off two buzzer beater losses to Vanderbilt and Missouri. After watching Tennessee the past few weeks, I don’t see how they can keep up offensively as their offense is horrible. They’re really good defensively, but a similar style in Vanderbilt and Missouri torched them recently. A win on Wednesday and the regular season SEC title is all but locked up.

gotta love Miller doing the "crane" after the game? Also like that we gave them the impression that they had a chance before we snatched that hope away.

Reactions: rsaxoniii
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT