ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama's Comeback Win Over Arkansas

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Alabama scored 86 points in a game where they only made three 3's all game. Tough night for the "Alabama lives and dies by the 3" crowd. They used their elite rebounding, paint presence, and a top 5 pick to stage a 11 point second half comeback. What was also clutch was Mark Sears at the line late in the game. He finished 9-10 from the line, and as Arkansas kept scoring at will late, he kept them at bay and away from striking distance.

Alabama dominated the paint and rebounding, which was the main catalyst in the second half. They attacked Anthony Black, who ended up fouling out, and really scored at will early on. Arkansas is a very scary team now with Nick Smith Jr back healthy, and this win is very impressive because of that. Brandon Miller finished with 24 points, even only going 1-6 from 3, and really provided the spark in the comeback. Bediako and Clowney combined for 17 points and 17 rebounds manning the paint. Finally, it was a Jahvon Quinerly coming out party scoring 16 points on 7-14 shooting with 7 assists, and came up huge in the second half as well.

Alabama's guards have been struggling as of late. Jaden Bradley hardly touched the stat sheet, Sears only hit 2 shots, Griffen, Burnett, and Welch only combined for 3 made shots. If Alabama is going to go far in the tournament, they have to have their guards step up, especially the reserves.

Alabama stays at home to play Auburn, which if A&M loses today, they can clinch the SEC regular season title with a win against Auburn.

I think that qualified as slapping the taste for Mr. Musselman. He got beat by a lot of twos and a heavy dose of hard nose basketball in that second half today. Glad to stick it to that pos with arky playing some of their best basketball. This was a big win today.

After not giving up more than 69 points in the first what 14 SEC games, Bama has gave up over 70 points twice in a row.

• Sad
Reactions: xcop
It’s amazing how this team keeps Finding different ways to win. If they just figure out how to play the “big” men teams they may just be unstoppable.

Reactions: lainey2020
Longest final 2:48 I have ever watched. Up 75-63 and Hogs scored 20 points in that time frame and scored on 8 straight possessions. Drove me nuts.

Found a way to win. And clinched a tie for the SEC title.
Seriously, that final surge probably beats us if Sears doesn't convert all those free throws. And Q had a huge three when we had to have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bet9 and vegas man
Big day in Alabama we beat Arky and Aburn got the hell beat out of them we should win the next two games

Reactions: tydzbk
A hard game we won IMO because we mostly took care of business at the FT line. 25-30 compared to 20-29 for Ark.

We've been on the wrong end of these too many times over the last few decades where we play well enough to win a game but can't hit free throws.

We really need our guards to get it sorted. JQ still had some brain cramp moments but he was the only one of the bunch playing with much energy. Bradley has me wondering if this weeks events has really stunned him.

I would really love it if we don't see Ark again this season. They're one of like 4 or 5 teams that can make life really frustrating for us and if they actually hit some outside shots they beat us. But if the tournament were today they are an 8 seed and we play them on Friday. Not liking that. Going to hope they either climb up above that 8 spot or slide down to 10.

Pringle was active and productive for the time he was in. 7 points and 4 rebounds in 7 minutes, although also had 2 fouls, a turnover and was only 1 of 3 on free throws in those 7 minutes.

Reactions: rsaxoniii
It was a hard sellout with Hogs sprinkled in different places. It got really loud especially when we took the lead. Arkie is a different team with Smith Jr added in to their mix. Black and Council were playing their usual games and this team won again without the 3 pt weapons. Something has to change before we play the Boogs. I would like to attend a Bama Blowout with them, I'm getting to old for these nail biters.
Roll Tide

If I’m Pringle I am transferring next year. It’s ridiculous that he doesn’t get more minutes.

Agree 100 percent
Why would he transfer? He will have a big role next when Clowney and Miller leave. I love his energy, but let’s look at the holes he has. He is mainly a dunker and not a shooter. He doesn’t make free throws well. He is getting better on defense, but he isn’t Clowney or Bediako.

Really glad you aren't Nick Pringle. He will play a big role for us next year. thought he had some good minutes today.
By the way, who would you sit to make more room for Pringle?
You have got to carve out minutes for a guy like that. If Bediako and Clowney stay next year his minutes won’t get better. He’s a starter for most in the league and many many other P5 teams. I love the guy. Bediako has several games where he plays real soft. Those are the games he needs to play. Hes more effective that CB on the offensive end easily. I’m not too sure CB is better defensively either.

You have got to carve out minutes for a guy like that. If Bediako and Clowney stay next year his minutes won’t get better. He’s a starter for most in the league and many many other P5 teams. I love the guy. Bediako has several games where he plays real soft. Those are the games he needs to play. Hes more effective that CB on the offensive end easily. I’m not too sure CB is better defensively either.
Bediako is an elite big man defensively according to several analytics. He impacts the game a lot more than in the stat sheet.

Clowney is expected to be drafted to the NBA low first found to early second round.
Would be great to have him back but don’t assume he will be.

Bediako is an elite big man defensively according to several analytics. He impacts the game a lot more than in the stat sheet.
Ill give you that. However, if you match guys that he has played against this season that are, lets say, 6'10" or taller, he seems to get dominated physically. I have never seen a 7 footer get so many shots blocked. He does not have the mindset to dominate a game. Pringle walks in and wants to dunk on your face and make you like it. I just think you have to get the guy more minutes or you are going to lose him. I know a ton of people think Pringle should play more.. I just wish we could get him more minutes for sure. One more thought...Jordan analytics cannot measure energy. Pringle brings it more than any "Big" we have. ....... PS Jordan, thanks so much for what you bring to the basketball message boards. Its nice to see discussions without people attacking each other.

Reactions: bet9 and lainey2020
Ill give you that. However, if you match guys that he has played against this season that are, lets say, 6'10" or taller, he seems to get dominated physically. I have never seen a 7 footer get so many shots blocked. He does not have the mindset to dominate a game. Pringle walks in and wants to dunk on your face and make you like it. I just think you have to get the guy more minutes or you are going to lose him. I know a ton of people think Pringle should play more.. I just wish we could get him more minutes for sure. One more thought...Jordan analytics cannot measure energy. Pringle brings it more than any "Big" we have. ....... PS Jordan, thanks so much for what you bring to the basketball message boards. Its nice to see discussions without people attacking each other.
LOL, its a little scary to think of Bediako playing with the energy and aggression of Pringle.

He would either already be in the NBA and regularly having triple doubles or he wouldn't be playing anywhere out fear of him hurting people on the court.

I do agree though that Bediako can be frustrating when he has the ball under the goal. The only time he will dunk is if he's totally alone or catching a pass above the rim set up for him to dunk. I can't count how many times he's been in range of reaching up and one handing a dunk but he crouches and sits and fakes and tries to work around someone for a bank shot. Just rip the flippin' rim down if you can reach it!

It's a very old adage in basketball that whenever a tall player brings the ball down he opens himself up to have it stripped by someone that otherwise couldn't hope to defend him. Yet Bediako does it every time he can't just catch and dunk in one motion and it gets him in trouble sometimes.

That being said, in spite of Bediako's style, I don't think we are where we are today without him. We've won a few close games this year simply because he was on the court grabbing boards and forcing the other team to shoot around him. He's not only tall his arms make for a wingspan larger than most 7 footers. When word first broke of him having a hurt knee my immediate reaction was doom and gloom on the post season hopes. We aren't the same team without him on the court even when Miller and Co are lighting it up from outside.

Reactions: bet9 and lainey2020
LOL, its a little scary to think of Bediako playing with the energy and aggression of Pringle.

He would either already be in the NBA and regularly having triple doubles or he wouldn't be playing anywhere out fear of him hurting people on the court.

I do agree though that Bediako can be frustrating when he has the ball under the goal. The only time he will dunk is if he's totally alone or catching a pass above the rim set up for him to dunk. I can't count how many times he's been in range of reaching up and one handing a dunk but he crouches and sits and fakes and tries to work around someone for a bank shot. Just rip the flippin' rim down if you can reach it!

It's a very old adage in basketball that whenever a tall player brings the ball down he opens himself up to have it stripped by someone that otherwise couldn't hope to defend him. Yet Bediako does it every time he can't just catch and dunk in one motion and it gets him in trouble sometimes.

That being said, in spite of Bediako's style, I don't think we are where we are today without him. We've won a few close games this year simply because he was on the court grabbing boards and forcing the other team to shoot around him. He's not only tall his arms make for a wingspan larger than most 7 footers. When word first broke of him having a hurt knee my immediate reaction was doom and gloom on the post season hopes. We aren't the same team without him on the court even when Miller and Co are lighting it up from outside.
I wish Chuck would learn to set a proper screen better. He seems to get called once a game for an illegal screen.

I wish Chuck would learn to set a proper screen better. He seems to get called once a game for an illegal screen.
Yeah, the funny thing is we've played some teams (like OU) where their big was a moving bulldozer and basically never got called for a bad screen. Bediako slides one leg an inch as he turns to roll to the rim and he gets a foul call.

But the one foul Bediako got Sat where he stopped quick and stuck his butt out was just dumb. You get away with that if you are dribbling with the ball but not if you are picking off the defender trying to keep up with the guy that actually has the ball.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO

Great response. Thanks for sharing those thoughts! I sure love this team!

Reactions: lainey2020
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT