ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Avery...

BaselineLeaner

All Conference
Jan 10, 2019
Look, I am the first one to say I think Avery has done a fantastic job of coaching, recruiting and winning against tough opponents as home. He is a great leader and a tremendous character to have at Alabama. BUT with that said, I think Avery is too soft at times. I have yet to see him “chew ass” on a player. I think this could play a role in us not being able to finish games the way we want. I just don’t see this team having a nasty side to them of wanting to shut a team down. Maybe Coach Johnson’s passive approach rubs off on our players at times. This isn’t the NBA where you just sit back and make substitutions. These are still kids growing into men and sometimes they need to be called out. Avery needs to go into the locker room and ask who wants to be a leader on this team. Because right now, I don’t see one player on the court who sticks out as a vocal guy leading this team.

The only time we have played with a sense of wanting to bully another team was against Ole Miss and it was because we were barking before the game. But you know what? We won by over 20 and our players had fire that game. Petty was throwing his fist and screaming to the crowd. That is what we need to get this team over the hump. We need guys to be emotional and get upset and that includes Avery as the coach. We have the talent but eventually it all comes down to heart and the desire to want to come out and whoop ass every game. Someone needs to step up as a leader and give this team some swagger. Roll tide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News