ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the HUGE win over Houston last night

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
What a fun week of basketball beating #3 Gonzaga and now #14 Houston in back to back games! Both games were highly competitive and Alabama showed they are a Final Four contender with these wins.

In a game against Houston, I thought they were a tougher matchup than what Gonzaga was. Houston is elite defensively, has incredible length and athleticism, and can score with you as well. They showed all of that tonight. However, Alabama showed they can do all of those as well. Juwan Gary had a great game offensively tonight scoring 19 and Quinerly was the facilitator slicing to the rim and kicking out basically whenever he wanted. He’s tough to stay in front of. Oh, and it wasn’t a goaltend.

Houston got 17 offensive rebounds and that is really what kept them in the game at the end. Alabama would pull ahead by 7 and 8, but couldn’t get ahead by anymore due to second chance points. Now Houston has great length and athleticism and that is what gives them those opportunities, but Alabama has to clean those up.

Overall, tonight Alabama showed they can beat a final four caliber team in an exciting back and forth game in the final minutes. Another note, how ROCKING was Coleman Coliseum?? Like the Plaid Palace again! Roll Tide!

Last edited:
Last two games was some of best basketball I’ve seen in quite some time. Bama looked in elite fashion. This team has potential to be very elite.
I’m really enjoying this and stand corrected on my disappointment comments on the Iona loss.

Great win first of all, but our guys need to practice boxing out for rebounds. Instead of looking up for the ball during the shot, find a man and box out first, then look to rebound.
On a lighter note: JQ for Heisman! That man is slicker than snot!

That was a final four level of intensity from start to finish with neither team giving an inch the whole game. We haven't had a team since probably the Wimp Sanderson games that fights this hard. That Houston ballclub had the new age Dennis Rodman with unbelievable instincts grabbing every rebound, and their defensive intensity reminded me of the best Nolan Richardson teams from the 40-minutes of hell days in the mid-90s.
I've seen several national pundits say we have the best guards in America, and I agree. Quinerly and Shack are just killers now. and how big was JD Davison down the stretch?
I am beyond elation with what Coach Oats and this team are doing. Beating the Zags and Houston back to back is HUGE!!! Memphis, you're next.

It was a great crowd that was loud. I am still ticked it wasn’t completely packed. There is a hunger in our fanbase for a big time basketball program, and we still have too many people not selling or giving their tickets away if they can’t go.

It was a great crowd that was loud. I am still ticked it wasn’t completely packed. There is a hunger in our fanbase for a big time basketball program, and we still have too many people not selling or giving their tickets away if they can’t go.
I was surprised it looked like a legit 10 to 11k there.

In any other year after around '92 or so there isn't 5k there if that in spite of the opponent and stage.

9pm tipoff on a Sat, two weeks from Christmas after finals were done, and on the same night a Bama QB was expected to win the Heisman? The only way that many fans show for those circumstances is if it somehow was UK or Duke (so many FoGs that are UK or Duke bball fans) or the barn.

I mean, that might have been one of the best mid Dec crowds ever. Maybe the Georgetown or UCLA games were better?

What a fun week of basketball beating #3 Gonzaga and now #14 Houston in back to back games! Both games were highly competitive and Alabama showed they are a Final Four contender with these wins.

In a game against Houston, I thought they were a tougher matchup than what Gonzaga was. Houston is elite defensively, has incredible length and athleticism, and can score with you as well. They showed all of that tonight. However, Alabama showed they can do all of those as well. Juwan Gary had a great game offensively tonight scoring 19 and Quinerly was the facilitator slicing to the rim and kicking out basically whenever he wanted. He’s tough to stay in front of. Oh, and it wasn’t a goaltend.

Houston got 17 offensive rebounds and that is really what kept them in the game at the end. Alabama would pull ahead by 7 and 8, but couldn’t get ahead by anymore due to second chance points. Now Houston has great length and athleticism and that is what gives them those opportunities, but Alabama has to clean those up.

Overall, tonight Alabama showed they can beat a final four caliber team in an exciting back and forth game in the final minutes. Another note, how ROCKING was Coleman Coliseum?? Like the Plaid Palace again! Roll Tide!
What is your guess on why Alex T isnt getting any playing time? Is he still healing or did we over hype him coming in? I was tracking he was the closest thing to a kevin durant style player we have?

I was surprised it looked like a legit 10 to 11k there.

In any other year after around '92 or so there isn't 5k there if that in spite of the opponent and stage.

9pm tipoff on a Sat, two weeks from Christmas after finals were done, and on the same night a Bama QB was expected to win the Heisman? The only way that many fans show for those circumstances is if it somehow was UK or Duke (so many FoGs that are UK or Duke bball fans) or the barn.

I mean, that might have been one of the best mid Dec crowds ever. Maybe the Georgetown or UCLA games were better?
True. Being that late was a deterrent, but we just beat Gonzaga on the road. I thought it would be sold out. I know plenty of people that went and there were several I knew looking for tickets. Demand was there. Just a lot of good empty seats.

This was a great game start to finish! Both teams played hard the whole game. It’s too bad the end was a mess; at first look it could have been GT but after review it certainly was not. Man, still buzzing about these last two games…been awhile.

Do you want to sit on row 55, I know I won't. Great crowd and energy was there from start to finish. Glad to get by this team with a W.

Do you want to sit on row 55, I know I won't. Great crowd and energy was there from start to finish. Glad to get by this team with a W.
No. When I had my Covid seats, I was row 42 or something. It is an awful seat up there.

Reactions: winin11
Was a great night. Loudest I’ve heard Coleman in a while if not ever. Consistently loud as well. Was a great night of punch and counter punch that up until a couple years ago Bama would’ve got knocked out after a few times of them getting ahead by a few every few minutes during the last few min.

Crowd came through great on TV. Until reading this I thought there were probably 12-14 there.

Reactions: bet9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT