ADVERTISEMENT

Tua Tagovailoa at ease as QB battle heats up

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Two quarterbacks and two completely different demeanors. While Jalen Hurts voiced his frustration to reporters on one side of Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tua Tagovailoa took a much more laid-back approach Saturday, discussing what has been a whirlwind summer.

Tagovailoa has been in the spotlight ever since he led Alabama to a comeback victory over Georgia in the national championship game. Replacing Hurts to start the second half, Tagovailoa rallied Alabama back from two scores down, completing 14 of 24 for 166 yards, and three touchdowns, including the 41-yard game-winner to Devonta Smith in overtime.

Since then, life hasn’t been quite the same.

“It's definitely changed a lot, and I think that goes for anyone who's in the spotlight or what not, who nobody really knows about, and performs in a big situation,” Tagovailoa said “It's changed. And I think that goes for anyone that does something at least decent on a big stage.”

Still, the Hawaii native seemed at ease talking to reporters during Alabama’s media day, even with the topic du jour being the delicate topic of his battle with Hurts for the starting quarterback role this summer. Like Hurts, Tagovailoa was the center of transfer speculation, particularly following comments he made back in May when he stated, “I told myself if I didn’t play in the last game, which was the National Championship Game, I would transfer out,” while speaking to a crowd in Honolulu.

“I think it was taken out of context. But at the same time, that was in May and what-not,” Tagovailoa said Saturday. “This is what we're trying to focus on now, is our football season ahead and today's practice for fall camp.”

However, for the most part, Hurts and Tagovailoa have had far different experiences this summer. While Hurts continues to hear his name swirl in transfer rumors, Tagovailoa has found himself on the positive side of speculation this summer. The sophomore is projected by many to usurp Hurts for the starting role and is even a favorite on several preseason Heisman Trophy lists.

“For me, I'm not really focused on winning the job,” Tagovailoa said. “I don't think that's ever been in my persona. I think what we have to do as a team is what's most important to me. We've got to focus on what we can do now to better ourselves, better each other. As the season goes on, we'll see and what-not. But we're just focused on trying to better ourselves as a team, preparing for the first game, and just looking at how we can identify ourselves this year.”

Hurts and Tagovailoa were supposed to compete for the starting role this spring. However, Tagovailoa broke a bone in his throwing hand severely limiting his reps for the majority of camp. More than three months later, the sophomore was not seen wearing any type of brace during practice.

“I’m getting better with it,” Tagovailoa said. “As far as last month, it’s been good.”

Now that both quarterbacks are able to split reps during practice, attention around the competition has reached its apex. Although, according to Tagovailoa, that hasn’t affected his relationship with Hurts.

“We don't talk about any quarterback controversies at practice. Me and Jalen don't even bring it up,” Tagovailoa said. “As far as this season, we're just looking at getting each other better. There's no negative contingencies. We don't go into games thinking I might not start or I'm going to go into this game and I'm going to throw a pick. No negative contingencies. We want to be positive because the team looks at that. The team looks at what we say (in) the media as well. I just don't want anything to ruin our relationship, and I don't think anything between me and Jalen is bad.”

Earlier Saturday, Alabama head coach Nick Saban hinted at the possibility of using both quarterbacks, questioning reporters on their fixation with labels such as “first-team and second-team.”

“If there are people on our team that can contribute why would we not utilize their abilities to be able to contribute on our team in some form or fashion,” Saban said. “Just like when we have a guy that's a great DPR (designated pass rusher) and we put him in on third down and he rushes the passer. He's not a starter. But I guess at quarterback that just doesn't matter in you all's mind.”

However, when pressed further about a two-quarterback situation, Saban contradicted himself stating, “We haven't done it at all.”

“We're evaluating every day. We're trying to get both players to play at a high level every day,” Saban said. “I want them to be focused on what do they have to do to win. Competitors and people do not create negative contingencies. I mean, when I played or when our team plays, I don't run out of the tunnel saying, 'We're going to lose today.' When I played quarterback, I didn't say, 'I'm going to throw an interception.' I said, 'I'm going to throw a touchdown.' That was how I was thinking. I didn't say when we called this play that we were going to get sacked, aight, or it was going to be a loss. I'm thinking what do I have to do to execute on that play. So we're trying to take the same positive attitude, aight, every day, and that's what I want them to think about. I do not want them to think about negative contingencies: What if? What if this happens, what if that happens?”

Tagovailoa mirrored his coaches statements while passing along a message from motivational speaker Eric Thomas, who spoke with the team Friday night.

“He talked about the difference between someone who is a beast and someone who is a winner,” Tagovailoa said of Thomas’ message. “Right now, we're a team that wins. We're known as winners. But what separates you from being a beast and a winner is beasts don't complain about what they don't get or what they can't get because it's something that's going to happen in the end result for them.

“Winners, it's almost like it's given to them. It's like some people didn't have to work for their height, some people didn't have to work for their weight. It's kind of like it was written for you to be a winner. I'd say that that's kind of honed in to me and kind of honed in to the team, that whatever's going to benefit the team is going to be what's right. Coach Saban and his coaching staff will make the best decision for us.”

Right now that seems to be Tagovailoa’s approach. Calm and at ease, even in the midst of tumult.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News