ADVERTISEMENT

Update. Good things coming for Alabama basketball facilities ….

cola68

All American
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2005
Last edited:
They’ve had the best facilities in the state for a decade or more now. Hasn’t changed anything. Heck… I argue UAB and USA have better facilities than Bama.
Think about what’s been in the news this week.. maybe this has increased motivation

Reactions: Sheerperfection
Auburn will not have the best facilities in the state for long …BOT’s won’t let it happen !
Is this real info or just a strong gut feel?

Byrne made a comment this week that they were moving forward but the process has to be followed with the BoT. He also pointed out that they are in the second phase of the facilities upgrades which was supposed to have already been underway but then Covid happened.

Sadly, he also said they were thinking of a 10k seat arena. To me a game like today shows just how short sighted a 10k seat arena would be. To me 14k is the sweet spot and I'd find a way to configure it so you can squeeze another 1000 to 1500 in there as standing room only and shrink it a bit when you know there may not be 10k there for some weak Dec ooc game.

New arena will be announced before long. Around 11K capacity over on campus drive near softball. Student section will be a priority. Can’t wait
That’s great to hear! Hope it can be done within the next 2 years. I too would like for it to be bigger, but I do love the way Auburn is built and the atmosphere is creates. So maybe smaller is better. Either way a new place and less FOG’s in there works.

Reactions: bet9
This is what I heard back at the beginning of the season. It needs to happen. For those that love Coleman, I don’t know what you love about it. It has horrible site lines, and the fans are too far away from the court. We have put way too much money into it. I will say I liked the reno ideas, but if it takes 2 years to do, that will hurt the program.

I do hope you are correct. Remember though, they were in a final 4 just a few years ago. We changed nothing of any significance other than the coach after that.
That was a HUGE change and very significant improvement on the court, in coaching philosophy and in recruiting has occurred.

Let’s not glance over that.

Reactions: AnInterestedParty
This is what I heard back at the beginning of the season. It needs to happen. For those that love Coleman, I don’t know what you love about it. It has horrible site lines, and the fans are too far away from the court. We have put way too much money into it. I will say I liked the reno ideas, but if it takes 2 years to do, that will hurt the program.

Patience is tough because this should have been started 5 years ago

Reactions: pfaud001
Coleman is a solid structure and would make an excellent storm shelter. If a new facility were to be built near the softball stadium, the roads would have to be expanded/rerouted to handle the traffic. Roads are pretty tight over there.

Reactions: pfaud001 and cola68
Coleman is a solid structure and would make an excellent storm shelter. If a new facility were to be built near the softball stadium, the roads would have to be expanded/rerouted to handle the traffic. Roads are pretty tight over there.
The facade is very nice and this venue would serve other sports very well
Or they could convert the facility to something else completely

Yes, but that is a small problem.

Reactions: cola68
The facade is very nice and this venue would serve other sports very well
Or they could convert the facility to something else completely
The only thing I hate about a new arena on totally new location is I love how Coleman looks when you turn in by the baseball stadium lol. Totally worth dumping it with that being the only draw back obviously. I’m sure they will keep Coleman and continue to use it for gymnastics/volleyball and maybe womens hoops practice atleast. I expect a mens only facility to be part of the new arena plans but not 100% sure on that

Reactions: cola68 and pfaud001
If I have to hear the "bones" are good one more year on Coleman I will start breaking bones. I know Byrne has to say the right things, but inside it's embarrassing compared to some of the nicer arenas at lesser schools. Students better get a lot of seats up close. I've been to games at Auburn and Ole Miss and it makes a difference when you walk in. It's just brighter and modern. It's time Bama, the University is making millions and millions a year, put some of it back into the product.

Whatever we do I want one thing explicitly set in stone when the blueprints get approved...

That any new basketball facility be purely a BASKETBALL ONLY facility.... PERIOD!

If gymnastics can fit in there without doing anything to the court but setting mats down then fair enough but that's it. Multipurpose facilities end up being soulless aircraft hanger type buildings that make it very difficult to cater to needs of every sport. It also makes it near impossible to actually get seats close to the court unless its some high school styled bleacher than can hide away when needed. Just NO.

We don't try to force the baseball or softball fields to be anything other than what they are. BD is about as football only as you can get outside of the occasional event in the North End zone luxury areas. So don't even try to make a gym that is anything but a gym for basketball.

I would be shocked if Coleman went anywhere anytime soon. There's a lot to Coleman that's never really seen. So many offices and rooms that would require a few new buildings be built along with a new gym just to accommodate what was lost. Plus the basketball practice facility on the corner was considered really good and likely isn't going anywhere unless the new gym creates an even better one.

The UofA needs a building like Coleman for things other than basketball. Let it be that for another 20 or 30 years.

Whatever we do I want one thing explicitly set in stone when the blueprints get approved...

That any new basketball facility be purely a BASKETBALL ONLY facility.... PERIOD!

If gymnastics can fit in there without doing anything to the court but setting mats down then fair enough but that's it. Multipurpose facilities end up being soulless aircraft hanger type buildings that make it very difficult to cater to needs of every sport. It also makes it near impossible to actually get seats close to the court unless its some high school styled bleacher than can hide away when needed. Just NO.

We don't try to force the baseball or softball fields to be anything other than what they are. BD is about as football only as you can get outside of the occasional event in the North End zone luxury areas. So don't even try to make a gym that is anything but a gym for basketball.

I would be shocked if Coleman went anywhere anytime soon. There's a lot to Coleman that's never really seen. So many offices and rooms that would require a few new buildings be built along with a new gym just to accommodate what was lost. Plus the basketball practice facility on the corner was considered really good and likely isn't going anywhere unless the new gym creates an even better one.

The UofA needs a building like Coleman for things other than basketball. Let it be that for another 20 or 30 years.
Answers easy. Give Coleman to the gymnastics team, they've earned it. Plus they've proven to use the excess capacity more regularly than basketball over the last decade or so. Agree, new arena needs to be basketball only and shouldn't exceed 12k with the students getting a bigger portion of the seats than they currently get.

Any public tier season ticket holders in here? What are your concerns with a new facility and your existing season tickets? I'm a little concerned that I'll lose mine or they may eliminate the public option all together.

From Michael Casagrande:

Alabama basketball arena proposal calls for a facility seating approximately 10,136, according to documents filed with the board of trustees.

The Alabama student section would surround 3/4 of the court at the new arena. Still 2,200 student tickets allocated.

Reactions: Codie B and cola68
From Michael Casagrande:

Alabama basketball arena proposal calls for a facility seating approximately 10,136, according to documents filed with the board of trustees.

The Alabama student section would surround 3/4 of the court at the new arena. Still 2,200 student tickets allocated.
Awesome .. this will be huge for the program and fanbase

But then Byrne and his staff studied other arenas. They visited Ole Miss, Virginia, Illinois, James Madison, Cincinnati and DePaul.

Under 10,400 smh

I hope these weren't the only arenas where they found inspiration.

If we want to step up a bit take a peak at what Knight did for the Ducks. Supposedly about the best sight lines of any of the gyms built since 2000. Byrne should take a long look at how they set their gym up. Still only seats 12.5k but at least it is closer to what Bama can fill with a good team.

Always heard good things about the gym where Pitt plays.

Last edited:
Any public tier season ticket holders in here? What are your concerns with a new facility and your existing season tickets? I'm a little concerned that I'll lose mine or they may eliminate the public option all together.
I am and am definitely a bit concerned. I definitely expect public tier season tickets to still be a thing but I expect them to be tougher to get and up to double the price… which frankly still wouldn’t be outrageous but definitely a downside. Still, even if I get screwed I think this is the best thing they could do for the hoops program

I am and am definitely a bit concerned. I definitely expect public tier season tickets to still be a thing but I expect them to be tougher to get and up to double the price… which frankly still wouldn’t be outrageous but definitely a downside. Still, even if I get screwed I think this is the best thing they could do for the hoops program

I'd be pretty disappointed. Going to hoops games is something my family and I look forward to every year. Hopefully there's an option for us that have had these tickets for a bit. I bought mine during Avery's first year and have kept them since. I certainly don't mind ponying up the funds for Tide Pride.

I'd be pretty disappointed. Going to hoops games is something my family and I look forward to every year. Hopefully there's an option for us that have had these tickets for a bit. I bought mine during Avery's first year and have kept them since. I certainly don't mind ponying up the funds for Tide Pride.
I don’t believe we will just be left out to dry. I would say most public ticket holders are new as well. I think we’ll be fine

Reactions: CrmsnTusk4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT