ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from Nate Oats presser

Tyler W

All American
Sep 8, 2017
Check back later for the video

Oats: I rarely start the five best players. You've got to have punch off the bench, there's chemistry involved.

On the ACC's idea to let everyone in the NCAA Tournament: "I think it's ridiculous."

On Petty's return: "His goal is to play his way into the first round. ... We're going to do everything we can to help him."

Oats said he has no idea what fan capacity might look like. He thinks local guidelines and conference guidelines will determine that. "But I would love for as many Alabama fans to be in there that we can get in there, but again that's out of my hands."

Oats said Alabama doesn't have confirmation from the SEC on what the non-conference schedule can look like. He said he hopes the Maui Invitational isn't the first games of the season. He would prefer to get one in before that.

Oats said depth will be more important than ever this season with COVID. He added Alabama needed depth last year and didn't have it. Followed by this quote:

"I think we should be competing for championships. SEC championships, Tournament championships."

Last edited:
Check back later for the video

Oats: I rarely start the five best players. You've got to have punch off the bench, there's chemistry involved.

On the ACC's idea to let everyone in the NCAA Tournament: "I think it's ridiculous."

On Petty's return: "His goal is to play his way into the first round. ... We're going to do everything we can to help him."

Oats said he has no idea what fan capacity might look like. He thinks local guidelines and conference guidelines will determine that. "But I would love for as many Alabama fans to be in there that we can get in there, but again that's out of my hands."

Oats said Alabama doesn't have confirmation from the SEC on what the non-conference schedule can look like. He said he hopes the Maui Invitational isn't the first games of the season. He would prefer to get one in before that.

Oats said depth will be more important than ever this season with COVID. He added Alabama needed depth last year and didn't have it. Followed by this quote:

"I think we should be competing for championships. SEC championships, Tournament championships."
good stuff. thanks man

Oats is a basketball guy . Some of this sounded like he was talking to the players as much as the fans. Just like CNS. Guys we have a very good opportunity with this staff to build a strong bb program as good or better than the mid 70's. I hope we get to actually go to the games. I am not real hopeful but perhaps by January it will open up. Really excited.

///
miles will probally redshirt so that leaves 12 players fighting for playing time. competition in practice will make all these guys better.
with this covid mess we will most likely need um all. football and basketball are going to be a mess.

none of us know what to expect and no telling what we are about to see this fall and winter

Oats is so straight forward. Love Saban to death but give me an oats interview any day of the week lol. Though I will say Saban seems to be softening with local media lately

I agree that he has softened some... Just don't tell him I said that!

Also Saban is way more straight forward than he gets credit for. I didn't notice it myself until I covered other coaches the last two years.

Nick won't answer every question, but he answers 85 percent and he gives detailed answers instead of coach speak when he does.

Reactions: bet9 and pfaud001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT