ADVERTISEMENT

We not gonna talk about Pearl and Auburn??

I meet Coach Pearl at High school basketball Coaching Clinic in Montgomery when he first got hired at the barn. Very charismatic dude kinda guy that everyone gravitates toward. Great personality made several jokes about his ethic background. So much energy it was unbelievable to tell you the truth. He spent 4 hours going thru his playbook in detail gave all the coaches his cell and email, invited everyone to homes games promised free tickets to any high school coach as long a he was at Auburn.. Told so many good stories it was like we were only there 15 minutes..I hate he is at Auburn but after meeting him I am a fan of his.. I don't know if this is what you wanted to talk about.... but I can see how and why he has been successful. RTR

I said it when I saw it live and after seeing the replay, I believe it even more. The Auburn player there with his hands up was looking to cause the Arkansas player to fall. If you see the full replay, there was no reason for him to be there with his hands up like that.

That said, Alabama basketball is such a shit show right now it's hard to get too much gratification from Auburn losing. Especially when Bama has to play a hot Arkansas team Saturday...

I meet Coach Pearl at High school basketball Coaching Clinic in Montgomery when he first got hired at the barn. Very charismatic dude kinda guy that everyone gravitates toward. Great personality made several jokes about his ethic background. So much energy it was unbelievable to tell you the truth. He spent 4 hours going thru his playbook in detail gave all the coaches his cell and email, invited everyone to homes games promised free tickets to any high school coach as long a he was at Auburn.. Told so many good stories it was like we were only there 15 minutes..I hate he is at Auburn but after meeting him I am a fan of his.. I don't know if this is what you wanted to talk about.... but I can see how and why he has been successful. RTR
It’s not.

Had high Hope's for Pats when hired but his lack of college coaching experience
Is really showing right now. He just mot understand that winning in the paint on both ends of the court wins games along with Defense.
Oats? and I agree,, to win at consistently in basketball.. inside out period.. 3 points at 40% or dunks are 100%,, why not dunk or lay up every trip? running up and down shooting 3s is fun for the fans when you make enough to win.. If you play defense you dont have to to score as much.. Defense is boring, kids dont like to play defense!

That said, Alabama basketball is such a shit show right now it's hard to get too much gratification from Auburn losing. Especially when Bama has to play a hot Arkansas team Saturday...
I referee basketball and my partner and I were talking about Bama last night. He’s a Michigan fan as he’s from up that way. I told him Bama is crushing my soul right now. They were so hot from the field to begin the season and they have gone so cold as of late. He asked if I was excited that auburn lost, my response was that it’s hard to go so long without losing but it’s hard to get excited over a regular season loss when we’re playing so poorly at the moment

It's been a while since I've seen a team wide shooting slump like the one we are going through now. Against Kentucky we shot 3 of 30 from 3 point range, 10%. If we had shot our average of 30+% we win that game going away. You can't get out of a shooting slump by not shooting. Hoping we can break out of this soon and cruise deep into the SEC tourney.

Reactions: TawnyRollTide
Had high Hope's for Oats when hired but his lack of college coaching experience
Is really showing right now. He just doesn't understand that winning in the paint on both ends of the court wins games along with Defense.
I think he understands it. His problem is teaching/coaching the players to execute it. I was in Vegas, so didn't get to watch much of the UK game. But what little I did see, I was extremely encouraged by the aggressiveness from Bediako. Hadn't shown any of that to this point in the season. Holding UK to under 70 was obviously a sound defensive effort. Just looking at the stat line 3-30 from 3 it's pretty obvious even if we hit our usual shitty 30% we win that game easily.

Reactions: jts1255 and bet9
I would say this the past couple of years when Petty was here. He is such a streaky shooter that I always wondered why not draw up a play or two to get him an easy layup or get foul.

So often, with streaky shooters, all they need is to see the ball go in a couple of times and they can catch fire. Shack is similar; he get a couple of easy ones and next thing you know he is hitting 3s from the logo...

It's been a while since I've seen a team wide shooting slump like the one we are going through now. Against Kentucky we shot 3 of 30 from 3 point range, 10%. If we had shot our average of 30+% we win that game going away. You can't get out of a shooting slump by not shooting. Hoping we can break out of this soon and cruise deep into the SEC tourney.
At some point we have to go from the slump narrative to this isn’t a good shooting team narrative.

Truthfully, the only thing I like about Pearl is that the Viles ran him off and now they wish they hadn't. Other than that....

OGC.93c9c8284d5b9fdbc03e8f890bb141c4

Reactions: rsaxoniii
I’ve never seen a basketball team have the ability to beat anyone, but also lose to anyone until this team. I wonder what the root of the cause is? Not enough distributing the ball and not good shot selection? Poor defense and preventing 2nd point buckets?

At some point we have to go from the slump narrative to this isn’t a good shooting team narrative.
Last night's game shows what we're capable of. Shaq won't have many games like last night (we just need him to be productive) but others were making shots as well. We just need to get hot at the right time, maybe now is the right time. Arky will be tough this Saturday but if we play like we can, we should win.

I said it when I saw it live and after seeing the replay, I believe it even more. The Auburn player there with his hands up was looking to cause the Arkansas player to fall. If you see the full replay, there was no reason for him to be there with his hands up like that.
After the dunk the kid also took off chasing the Arkansas player like he wanted a confrontation.

I actually think the kid should be suspended. Clearly intended to hurt the dunker and then chased after him immediately after. Zero excuse. As for the shit show… it’s in like the 95th percentile for success over the last 30 years so I’ll take this shit show any day

Reactions: bet9 and pfaud001
Had high Hope's for Oats when hired but his lack of college coaching experience
Is really showing right now. He just doesn't understand that winning in the paint on both ends of the court wins games along with Defense.
Oats doesn’t value winning in the paint? Oooook lol. Get a grip on the Oats hate.

In the 25 years before Oats, Bama made the ncaa tournament NINE times. 9 times in 25 years. We went 5 straight years under MG from 02-06 and TWICE from 07-oats arriving in 2019, both times as a 9 seed.

following up a 2 seed season with a 4-6 seed season is basically unprecedented for Alabama basketball. All of you losing hope in oats need a massive dose of reality

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT