ADVERTISEMENT

What yall think of CNS throwing shade at Oats?

cpat4bama

All American
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2012
BFE
I don't disagree with what Saban said by any means, but he could of worded it a little different if you ask me.
After Crimson Tide freshman football player Tony Mitchell was arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute last week, reportedly driving at 141 mph as he attempted to flee from cops, head football coach Nick Saban suspended him from the team indefinitely.

Saban then issued a strong statement that some believed to be a shot at the school’s basketball coach, Nate Oats.

“Everybody’s got an opportunity to make choices and decisions. There’s no such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Saban said. “You have to be responsible about who you’re with, who you’re around, what you do and who you associate yourself with, along with the situations

Reactions: 50 Pesos
Saban has the luxury of handling this situation 5 months before the season starts with a freshman who may or may not even see the field. In hindsight the PR hit probably would not have been as bad if Miller had been shut down for a few weeks while evidence was gathered but 99.8% of all people, even in Alabama, have no clue what went on that night. Saban has always acted as though he shalt not be questioned but I believe it was season #1 (7-6) when at halftime of the La. Monroe that Lord Saban decided DJ Hall had been punished enough and brought him in off of the bench.

My issue is, there is most definitely a such thing as “wrong place at the wrong time.” I know he likes to preach personal responsibility, and I completely agree with him, but that doesn’t mean you can’t end up in a bad situation without making poor choices. Not that my issue has anything to do with Brandon Miller, as he obviously made some poor decisions to be in that position. I just don’t like generalizations.

My issue is, there is most definitely a such thing as “wrong place at the wrong time.” I know he likes to preach personal responsibility, and I completely agree with him, but that doesn’t mean you can’t end up in a bad situation without making poor choices. Not that my issue has anything to do with Brandon Miller, as he obviously made some poor decisions to be in that position. I just don’t like generalizations.
I think both situations are different! If he is throwing shade at CNO, then he is also throwing shade at the admin in the situation. We know that he says things without clarification many times.

Reactions: bet9 and cpat4bama
You serious Clark? Basketball in T-town is all the buzz and the last time we talked about Bama football Saban had to sit and listen to David Pollack punk him on live TV in front of millions.
If thats the case idk why Saban would be jealous. Dude has put together the most successful sports program ever.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B
I have to agree to disagree with Saban on his statement given that there are choices and there are things that just happen that may be out of ones control as to events happening and one is not aware of. Miller and Mitchell both made some decisions that each will have to speak on its own reasons.
If facts prevail as reported, Mitchell will probably never play a down at Alabama or probably anywhere else at least for the time being.

I have to agree to disagree with Saban on his statement given that there are choices and there are things that just happen that may be out of ones control as to events happening and one is not aware of. Miller and Mitchell both made some decisions that each will have to speak on its own reasons.
If facts prevail as reported, Mitchell will probably never play a down at Alabama or probably anywhere else at least for the time being.
Deion will take Michell in a sec.

Deion will take Michell in a sec.
Colorado and Mitchell would be a good fit due to Pot laws in the state. Appears like MItchell is going to spend some jail time first though and then maybe Deions rehab football program. But who knows with a good lawyer he may never go to jail.

Reactions: bet9
I don’t think he was throwing anything at CNO and I think this thread is ridiculous.
The press and media is hungry for anything to throw shade at especially Alabama right now. And odds are Saban never had Oats in mind when he made his statement on Mitchell. I am beginning to believe ESPN has a big vendetta out for Alabama right now along with a few other networks because before or during every game one of their Jackass announcers has to make a long statement about Miller and their version as to how they see what might have happen.

I agree with Coach Oats I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time a few
times in my life but thank god I survived them I spent 15 months in Viet Nam
as a door gunner on a chopper and there were a lot of wrong places at the
wrong time over there Mitchell and Miller's cases are totally different Mitchell
brought the shit on his self I don't understand Saban's statement maybe he's
never been there

I agree with Coach Oats I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time a few
times in my life but thank god I survived them I spent 15 months in Viet Nam
as a door gunner on a chopper and there were a lot of wrong places at the
wrong time over there Mitchell and Miller's cases are totally different Mitchell
brought the shit on his self I don't understand Saban's statement maybe he's
never been there
I spent a tour flying Huey's in the 173rd Aslt Hel Co in Vietnam and I have definitely be in the wrong place at the wrong time on several occasions! RTR

Saban was not throwing shade at Oats, nor was he implying Miller should have been benched. Totally different situations. Miller did nothing wrong and did not deserve to be punished in any way. He cooperated with police fully, and it was NEVER suggested Miller was a suspect. Mitchell willfully committed a crime and ran from police. Saban's statement is reflective of that.

You guys who think Saban was throwing shade at Oats have to be kidding, right? I have no doubt he was strictly commenting on the Tony Mitchell debacle. Tony put himself in a car with a (fellow) drug dealer, lots of drugs and a gun. Brandon Miller was a designated driver for some of his teammates.

If anything, I wouldn't question Miller's choice of company that night but rather the choice of company others made that night that led to serious consequences.

I don't disagree with what Saban said by any means, but he could of worded it a little different if you ask me.
After Crimson Tide freshman football player Tony Mitchell was arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute last week, reportedly driving at 141 mph as he attempted to flee from cops, head football coach Nick Saban suspended him from the team indefinitely.

Saban then issued a strong statement that some believed to be a shot at the school’s basketball coach, Nate Oats.

“Everybody’s got an opportunity to make choices and decisions. There’s no such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Saban said. “You have to be responsible about who you’re with, who you’re around, what you do and who you associate yourself with, along with the situations

VERY CLASSLESS, even for those of you that often say they will support anything he does, cause he’s the GOAT!! If he didn’t belong to us, there would often be other adjectives used when talking about him.

I’m not sure how he wouldn’t know about Oats wrong place wrong time comment and the backlash our athletic program took from it. I know Saban is a truly focused individual, but he’s not clueless of what is going on around him… especially when it’s a national story about players in our athletic program. And if he didn’t know then shame on him and our PR department for dropping the ball. It definitely comes off as throwing shade at Oates whether he meant to or not. Saban didn’t have to say wrong place time, he could have said a lot of other things but he chose those words.

I’m not sure how he wouldn’t know about Oats wrong place wrong time comment and the backlash our athletic program took from it. I know Saban is a truly focused individual, but he’s not clueless of what is going on around him… especially when it’s a national story about players in our athletic program. And if he didn’t know then shame on him and our PR department for dropping the ball. It definitely comes off as throwing shade at Oates whether he meant to or not. Saban didn’t have to say wrong place time, he could have said a lot of other things but he chose those words.
Correct. This is all there is to say. He's too old to engage in such a way, or at least we thought. Shocking that Saban, in all that he already is, would want to one up his basketball counterpart. Who would even think that one would want to try and put themselves on a pedestal by referencing such a comment? And Saban wasn't even right in what he was trying to prove. In some way he thought he was demonstrating his wisdom over such matters. Unfortunately the rest of us know that of course you can be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Or perhaps he does as well, but it didn't apply to his recruit, so he dropped this odd generalization. Just think it comes across very poorly, and with such waves of grandiosity. Even if we take it the best way possible, it still leaves him making a statement that is indeed a reference to the earlier media probing of Coach Oats. Hopefully our team and Coach Oats are dialed in and tuning out both outside and internal distractions.

Last edited:
Great post Secksbot, I have a bullet hole in my stomach from being in the wrong place at the wrong time, absolutely nothing I did other than arrive at the wrong time.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Saban wasn’t thinking of that. He just doesn’t think outside of what he has going on. That’s one thing that makes him great. But I don’t agree with what he said. There’s a such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It would literally almost have to be a perfect world if there wasn’t.

Reactions: cpat4bama
Yeah I’m not one to speculate and say it was at Oats. I honestly don’t think Saban keeps up with that stuff, but the PR team has to be better as well in every way to make sure stuff like that doesn’t happen.
It’s impossible for saban not to know about the criticism Oates took for his comments. Very uncouth of saban to say that regardless if it was a shot at Oates or not. Almost comes across as “look at me, I do no wrong”

As someone said earlier. Much different set of circumstances altogether

You serious Clark? Basketball in T-town is all the buzz and the last time we talked about Bama football Saban had to sit and listen to David Pollack punk him on live TV in front of millions.
No, this is not who Saban is.

You paint him as a jealous and vindictive man.

Yeah I’m not one to speculate and say it was at Oats. I honestly don’t think Saban keeps up with that stuff, but the PR team has to be better as well in every way to make sure stuff like that doesn’t happen.
The optics around the program aren’t good for many reasons . This statement and the introduction of Miller and the TSA pat down demonstrate a failures of the gatekeepers around the athletic department.

On the other hand, what PR person would think to go to saban and suggest, “ don’t say wrong place wrong time in any form or fashion”???

Maybe saban gets questions about it and walks it back !!

Finebaum and this thread are the only two instances I have heard or read about Saban's comments.
You make your bed, and you have to sleep in it.
I happen to agree with Saban.

Reactions: vegas man
One of Saban's greatest assests is that he is very focused.
One of Saban's greatest liabilities is that he is very focused.

PR Team herd you loud and clear!

The PR team may need a forth quarter program. They seem a little slow and out of shape.

I spent a tour flying Huey's in the 173rd Aslt Hel Co in Vietnam and I have definitely be in the wrong place at the wrong time on several occasions! RTR
Hats off to you! Wrong place for sure.
Thanks for your service.

The PR team may need a forth quarter program. They seem a little slow and out of shape.
Do we even have a PR team? For as I know of the coaches serve as the spokesman's for their own sport.

Otherwise the AD should have gotten more involved with all statements about the Miles and Miller situation.

Reactions: bet9 and tomg505
Everybody has their own opinion, but you will never make me believe that Coach Saban was taking a shot at Coach Oates for what he said. l don't think he had the Miller incident on his mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT