ADVERTISEMENT

Which SEC West team stands the best chance of beating Alabama this season?

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
BamaInsider is looking to bring the discussion surrounding Alabama football to the fans. During our new daily feature, we’ll be tackling a question concerning the Crimson Tide while also allowing you the fans to give your take.

Alabama has lost just one SEC West game over the past three years and has a whopping 42-6 record against divisional opponents since 2011. This season’s divisional slate will see the Crimson Tide host Ole Miss, Arkansas and No. 6 LSU while traveling to No. 12 Texas A&M, Mississippi State and No. 16 Auburn.

Alabama will look to take advantage of the SEC’s move to a 14-week schedule which provides teams with a second open week. Fortunately for the Crimson Tide, those two rest periods fall conveniently before games against Texas A&M and LSU — Alabama’s two highest-ranked opponents. It’s worth noting the Crimson Tide is 11-4 under Saban in games following an open date and hasn’t lost such a game since the 2014 season.

Auburn has been Alabama's toughest divisional opponent in the Saban era, beating the Crimson Tide four times during that span. LSU is next with three wins, while Ole Miss has two. Mississippi State and Texas A&M have one win apiece, while Arkansas has yet to beat Alabama under Saban.

Today's Question — Which SEC West team stands the best chance of beating Alabama this season?
Kyle Henderson: I was going to select Texas A&M, but the fact that they play Clemson and Auburn before Alabama leads me to think they might already be beaten up come Oct. 12 when the Aggies host Alabama. Then I thought about LSU, but Alabama has their number, plus the game is in Tuscaloosa. All this leads me to feeling that Auburn is the biggest threat to Alabama. The Tigers have a very formidable defensive line, and the atmosphere at Jordan-Hare could be enough to rattle Saban once again.

Tony Tsoukalas: I’m going to pick Texas A&M here. Sure, the Aggies play a brutal schedule, but their two weeks leading up to the matchup include a game against Arkansas followed by a bye week. That should allow them to bounce back from any bruises they encounter early in the year. Kyle Field is one of the loudest stadiums in the nation, and Alabama had to hold on for an ugly 27-19 victory in its last trip to the Lone Star State. Factor in a Texas A&M team that should be improved in Jimbo Fisher’s second season and this could be a tough one for the Tide.

What's your take?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News