ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best high school basketball player, regardless of age

newton and wimp got most of their players in state which was full of them back then. oats is in on a lot of out of state talent.
Definitely correct. The B'ham area and state produced a hell of alot of talent for basketball back when l was in my 20's. lt has slowly dwindled down since then. l'm about to turn 51.

Reactions: xcop and Codie B
Definitely correct. The B'ham area and state produced a hell of alot of talent for basketball back when l was in my 20's. lt has slowly dwindled down since then. l'm about to turn 51.
You are right in that B’ham back in the day had a ton of talent. Biggest problem in Alabama is that Top Quality HS basketball coaches are few and between and for a lot of young basketball coaches that have a really good background, because of $$$$ move into college assistant jobs especially really talented black coaches.

Reactions: lainey2020
You are right in that B’ham back in the day had a ton of talent. Biggest problem in Alabama is that Top Quality HS basketball coaches are few and between and for a lot of young basketball coaches that have a really good background, because of $$$$ move into college assistant jobs especially really talented black coaches.
gerald crosby (georgia) and andrew toney (southwest louisiana) both from birmingham got away from us in the 70`s. wimp said swl came in and gave toney a lot of stuff to come there. he went on to the 76ers and became the boston strangler. john drew didn`t have the grades for the sec back then. cousins and bledsoe went to kentucky and lang went to duke. pete chilcutt went to north carolina. ben wallace is from alabama. theo ratliff, demarre carroll, and derrick coleman that played with syracuse. i think artis gilmore is from alabama. can anybody name any more instate guys that got away? i know i`m missing a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: lainey2020
gerald crosby (georgia) and andrew toney (southwest louisiana) both from birmingham got away from us in the 70`s. wimp said swl came in and gave toney a lot of stuff to come there. he went on to the 76ers and became the boston strangler. john drew didn`t have the grades for the sec back then. cousins and bledsoe went to kentucky and lang went to duke. pete chilcutt went to north carolina. ben wallace is from alabama. theo ratliff, demarre carroll, and derrick coleman that played with syracuse. i think artis gilmore is from alabama. can anybody name any more instate guys that got away? i know i`m missing a lot.

I remember coaches telling recruits Bama would NEVER start 5 black playerts. Thats why we missed out on a few great players. There Was a time if you got the best 5 from Birmingham you could win a championship

All-time? Charles Cleveland
There is no doubt that Charles Cleveland was the best High School Basketball player that I ever saw. If they had a three point shot in those days, it is no telling how good he would have been. Many a Friday night we would journey to Centerville to See him play for Bibb County High School.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT