ADVERTISEMENT

Will Antonio Alfano ever play for Alabama?

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
Antonio Alfano has yet to play a snap for Alabama, and it’s uncertain if he ever will. Wednesday, Nick Saban provided an update on the five-star freshman defensive end’s absence from the team which has now reached two weeks.

“I just know that the guy basically quit," Saban said. "He quit going to class. He quit coming here. We tried to encourage him. We tried to help him. We tried to set up counseling sessions with him to help him every way we could. And all those things are still available to him if he wants them, but he didn't respond to any of the things. So until he responds, you have to assume the guy quit."

Today’s question — Will Antonio Alfano ever play for Alabama?

Kyle Henderson: I’m not sure what to make from the curious case of Antonio Alfano. I felt that in the spring he’d be able to play with maybe the twos this season, but he seemed to regress before Week 1. With him “quitting” as Saban said last night you’ve got to think this is over. But Saban is a man that believes in second chances, and if Alfano wants to make things right with Saban and the team I’m sure that door is open for some sort of reconciliation between the two.

Tony Tsoukalas: This one looks done and dusted. It’s obvious from his comments Wednesday night that Saban has grown frustrated with the Alfano situation. While the head coach has handed out several second chances in the past, it doesn’t appear his five-star freshman is keen on taking one. Crazier things have happened, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing Alfano suit up for the Crimson Tide again.

What's your take?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News