ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier McKinney to NFL

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
As Alabama waits for Tua Tagovailoa to make a decision over his future, it now knows it will be without at least one of its junior permanent team captains. Safety Xavier McKinney announced Sunday that he will forgo his senior season to declare for the NFL Draft. McKinney joins receiver Jerry Jeudy and offensive lineman Jedrick Wills Jr., who both announced they would declare for the NFL Draft on Saturday.

Last week, Alabama saw linebacker Dylan Moses and offensive lineman Alex Leatherwood announce that they would return to school for their senior years.

McKinney led Alabama with 95 tackles this season while tallying 5.5 stops for a loss and three sacks. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound safety also recorded three interceptions, including one which he returned 81 yards for a touchdown against Western Carolina. He was projected in the top two rounds of several NFL mock drafts.

McKinney earned second-team All-America honors from the American Football Coaches Association, The Sporting News and Walter Camp and was selected to the third team by the Associated Press and Pro Football Focus. He was named first-team All-SEC by the conferences’ coaches and the AP.

“What impresses me the most is the consistency he played with,” Alabama safety Jared Mayden said. “Sophomore year he had a great year, and there wasn’t a drop-off. Even before the year, he was on watch lists, this and that, it’s easy for you to kind of coast through the year. But he still attacks every day like it's a new day. Has endless tackles, he had a lot of tackles, and he's consistent.

“He's a consistent tackler, consistently makes plays, doesn't make a lot of mental errors, blitzes well. That's the kind of thing that, when I look at him and when I play beside him, it makes me want to be better.”

Tagovailoa announced he will decide on his future on Monday. Players have until Jan. 20 to choose whether they will return to school or declare for the NFL Draft.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News