ADVERTISEMENT

You guys wanting to run Oats off are complete idiots

No one wants to run him off. Some of us would like it if he learned to adapt his “system” to fit his team. Would love it if he knew how to fit some kind of inside game with all those 3 he have them throwing up.

Reactions: Bhug and jtr4dad
We just don’t want a d-bag running the program
I wouldn't go that far to call him a d-bag. I don't know him so all I will comment on is his coaching. He is very arrogant IMO, but that's fine as long as you can back it up. He has potential to be a great coach but he has to be willing to learn and not think he already has it all figured out.

Reactions: Stratman59
We just don’t want a d-bag running the program
I don't see how he's any worse than CMG or CAG personality wise. Both arrogance +++++. I think sometimes we mistake Confidence for arrogance and would rather have someone around the team full of confidence than say "Gomer Pyle" (And I love Jim Nabors and that show).

Reactions: bet9
Golly Gee Wiz people usually aren't successful in competition.

I’m an Oats fan and I’ve said lock him up since his first season. But it wouldn’t hurt him to adapt a little some areas. I’m assuming he doesn’t want to play as many big guys as we do that can’t shoot the 3. But that’s where we are, so I think more motion, off ball screens and such would benefit this group. Standing around and watching the high ball screen isn’t as effective without shooters spread out all over. We score a lot but we play fast and shoot a lot, so we should. But we could probably make it easier on JQ, Shack and JD at times if we had the help moving some.

Yeah these folks don't have much of an idea. Basically took on a program rebuild, and it takes time (4-6 years) to completely change a program in CBB. Not like there was much to build with either. We had some leaders like Petty and Herb last season. I guess I see what some of these folks are talking about with how he doesn't seem to take much responsibility after losses, but lets not forget the Saban presser after the ULM loss. He is trying to reach some guys on this team obviously.

Yeah these folks don't have much of an idea. Basically took on a program rebuild, and it takes time (4-6 years) to completely change a program in CBB. Not like there was much to build with either. We had some leaders like Petty and Herb last season. I guess I see what some of these folks are talking about with how he doesn't seem to take much responsibility after losses, but lets not forget the Saban presser after the ULM loss. He is trying to reach some guys on this team obviously.
Oats just doesn’t do coach speak and it rubs people the wrong way. He says exactly what he thinks and that’s it. Very blunt and to the point. His interviews on the next round he is very likable and seems like a cool guy, but he will tell you what’s on his mind

Oats will be fine. Our program is in much better shape than it has been in in a decade. He's got that East coast brash arrogant attitude which I don't mind at all. If he needs to call out some players in the media that's fine, as long as he has their back and they play hard for him. At times this year the defensive effort has been bad. Looks like we're starting to get back after it. I don't think I've heard one person say he needs to go?

Keep in mind Oats is only 8 years removed from coaching high school basketball. In many ways he's still learning on the job how to coach, but doing it while having to keep with the likes of Calipari, Barnes, and Howland who are some of the best to ever do it.

Like GOAT said in a previous post, he just needs to learn to make some adjustments to his system when it's not working. More than half way through the season we are one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country. Teams as bad as we are at shooting the 3 have no business chucking up 30 or more of them per game.

Last edited:
Keep in mind Oats in only 8 years removed from coaching high school basketball. In many ways he's still learning on the job how to coach, but doing it while having to keep with the likes of Calipari, Barnes, and Howland who are some of the best to ever do it.

Like GOAT said in a previous post, he just needs to learn to make some adjustments to his system when it's not working. More than half way through the season we are one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country. Teams as bad as we are at shooting the 3 have no business chucking up 30 or more of them per game.
Funny that we're shooting so bad and we make Mizzou look like a collection of Steph Currys!!! Not really funny but everyone seems to find the hot hand against us. Need to find that stroke soon to beat some of these upcoming big boys.

Keep in mind Oats in only 8 years removed from coaching high school basketball. In many ways he's still learning on the job how to coach, but doing it while having to keep with the likes of Calipari, Barnes, and Howland who are some of the best to ever do it.

Disagree. We have several guys capable of shooting 30-35% or better. Can't break out of a slump if you quit shooting.

I am a big N.O. fan. However, I do wish he would use Time Outs to thwart our opponents "runs" more than he does.

Disagree. We have several guys capable of shooting 30-35% or better. Can't break out of a slump if you quit shooting.
We're beyond slump. It's not like we've struggled in the last few games or even few weeks. We've been a bad shooting team since day 1, and we are now 3 months into the season. It is what is, and that is we are a terrible 3 point shooting team.

Our players need to play with the defensive intensity Coach Oats expects. Early in the season, we knocked off 2 final four teams. As Coach says, defensive intensity leads to offensive success. I think solving that issue would be better than modifying our current offense to match the effort the players want to put forth. (All this being said with the admission that I don't know anything about basketball!)

Well he does already have 28 loses compared to Sabans 25 and I'm not really fond of Sabans 25 loses... JK

No one wants to run him off. Some of us would like it if he learned to adapt his “system” to fit his team. Would love it if he knew how to fit some kind of inside game with all those 3 he have them throwing up.
Totally agree

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Every year is going to be a rebuild just the nature of college basketball today,your roster will completely turnover every year

Reactions: Codie B
Every year is going to be a rebuild just the nature of college basketball today,your roster will completely turnover every year
Well sure. But look at Bruce’s first 3 years and the last 5. With the outlier of last year, been a solid turnaround.

Well sure. But look at Bruce’s first 3 years and the last 5. With the outlier of last year, been a solid turnaround.
With this fan base we would’ve had people wanting to run Bruce off after last season if he were bama’s coach.

We're beyond slump. It's not like we've struggled in the last few games or even few weeks. We've been a bad shooting team since day 1, and we are now 3 months into the season. It is what is, and that is we are a terrible 3 point shooting team.
Heard Bucky speak at the Tip-off Club on Monday and he like Oats is an analytics devotee. The premise is if you shoot 35% from 3 you average 1.2 per possession and 1.0 or better is considered good. If you shoot 35% from 2 you average only 0.7 pts per possession. The problem is when you shoot 17% from 3 and allow points in transition. You get killed with this formula. I agree that Oats needs to modify his system to fit the players he has. More high percentage shots. The system isn’t working with a team that shoots so poorly from 3.

This is just a very average team/ and I am being kind.

I'm not making any speeches after this game..... Really poor performance by this program.

Yah. Maybe we are in a slump. But law of averages tells me that we aren’t in a slump. This group just doesn’t shoot it well enough to shoot that many 3’s. I hope they prove me wrong. Maybe we just shot it better for the first 10 games or so than we actually are and now we are shooting it like who we really are.

Reactions: Codie B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT