ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey

So 7-4 junior Zach Edey from Purdue decides to withdraw from the draft and return to college while Charles Bediako decides to attempt to jump to the NBA. Sounds about right.
It’s one of the biggest head scratching decisions I’ve seen from an Alabama basketball player ever. Just thought Bediako was smart enough to make a more educated decision on his future. Best of luck to him

Edey got paid much more NIL money than Charles would have/ but agree bad decision.

Reactions: bet9
Edey got paid much more NIL money than Charles would have/ but agree bad decision.
I agree with your comment on Edey too, but Chuck had 2 years to continue the improvement he was already making. If he lands in the same position “undrafted”, at least he would’ve had a healthy 2 extra years of experience instead of riding the bench like he will in the G league. Ask JD Davison how his 1st and most likely his 2nd year will go. I’m sure we agree on JD though

Reactions: lainey2020
I agree with your comment on Edey too, but Chuck had 2 years to continue the improvement he was already making. If he lands in the same position “undrafted”, at least he would’ve had a healthy 2 extra years of experience instead of riding the bench like he will in the G league. Ask JD Davison how his 1st and most likely his 2nd year will go. I’m sure we agree on JD though
Completely agree. Neither should have left. But I guess they see that $500,000 G league salary ( or whatever it is) and jump.
Will be surprised to ever see either in “ the league”. Maybe Charles for defense.

Completely agree. Neither should have left. But I guess they see that $500,000 G league salary ( or whatever it is) and jump.
Will be surprised to ever see either in “ the league”. Maybe Charles for defense.
The more I think about it, the more it seems like Charles has a limited ceiling. He is what he is. He could have produced more in college over the next 2 years, sure, but I don’t think he could have played his way into the first round. He may have viewed the $500k G League salary as his best option, and he may be right.

Reactions: bet9
The NBA G League average salary is increasing for the 2022/23 season. Per The Athletic's Shams Charania, the league's wages are being augmented by $3,500, going from $37,000 to $40,500. This is the first time in the G League's history that players will have an average salary of over $40,000.

A player only makes bigger dollars if he ends up spending some consistent time playing at the NBA level during his G League contract.

The NBA G League average salary is increasing for the 2022/23 season. Per The Athletic's Shams Charania, the league's wages are being augmented by $3,500, going from $37,000 to $40,500. This is the first time in the G League's history that players will have an average salary of over $40,000.

A player only makes bigger dollars if he ends up spending some consistent time playing at the NBA level during his G League contract.
The other issue that I think some people don’t realize, is that, there is no “automatic” playing overseas for $ that some believe is the case. Only 81 Americans played in the Euroleague last year, and most don’t make a fraction of what NBA players make. A good friend of our family’s was a 4 year star at a major college and he never made more than 400k, even though he started most of the 8 years he played over there. He quit this past year, and is now a small HS BB coach. The European players are more talented than some realize. Look how many are in the NBA now. The other overseas leagues pay very little, and the living conditions in some of those places are not all that pleasant. There are a lot of people who have this thought that if you don’t make it in the NBA, you can just go to Europe, as long as you can dribble a BB and chew gum at the same time, and you will make great $. That is just not the case.

Last edited:
Charles's stock might not have improved, but it might have and it certainly wouldn't have gotten worse if he had come back. Plus it is highly unlikely he will ever get a college diploma. He will not make $500,000 unless he gets called up to an NBA team for a certain length of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT