ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of things Jalen needs to work on...

bamacharm

All American
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
Prattville, AL
The obvious one is progressing through the receivers. More on that in a minute.

For some reason, Jalen has difficulty with that swing pass to the back. I noticed again this past Saturday, he will not lead the back with the pass for some reason. He was throwing directly at them, behind them and sometimes short (at their feet).

It is such a big part of our playbook and not being able to put the pass in front of the back negates their momentum coming out of the backfield. The back is a sitting duck when they have to slow down in order to catch a misplaced pass.

Seems like it should be a simple thing to fix. Mac Jones, on the other hand, has that pass down perfectly. Brian Robinson was chewing up the yards with it. If my memory serves me correctly, Tua executes that pass well too.

I recall reading an article about Lamar Jackson, who early in his career at Louisville, had "happy feet". Jackson knew he could take off running the ball and that was always his "go to" when progressing through the eligible receivers. As a result, he really didn't get very far in his progressions before resorting to his feet.

Petrino and his staff forbade Jackson from running the ball during scrimmages. He was told to stay in the pocket regardless. Jackson credits that move with forcing him to find open receivers and making him a much better passing QB.

I'm just a fan and don't have any expert knowledge. Just wondering if something like that could help Jalen develop.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News