ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ Alabama basketball vs. Miss. State - Game Thread

I will be at the games when I can but a good barometer of how much the administration cares about basketball was the game Tuesday when you tie getting tickets to football program it becomes a auburn and Kentucky home game

Reactions: ATLSwag17
Not dumb at all. Lack of effort on D is clear to see. I know- you never blame the player. Only the coach. We know.
Q was an average defender last year when Bama was winning. He's been pretty much the same player this year. So is it only the Billingsley effect when Bama is losing?

Since our bigs aren’t playing like bigs could we put Gary at the 5 and maybe play someone else at the 4? Maybe miles? I’m not basketball guy but when your 7 footers play like 5 footers there’s no need to have them out there. Teams attack them bc they are foul happy and they’ll keep you shooting free throws all night when your shots aren’t going down

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
Our “ talent”‘is not nearly as good as some want to believe. We have zero post players who are difference makers and are about 230th in 3 point %.
Good basketball players make shots…it’s roughly twice as impactful to winning vs any other skill. We have a bunch of guys that aren’t making shots.

Shooting less than 30% from 3pt is putrid and both of Bama’s 5 star point guards are shooting in the 20s…simply not going to get it done. To go along with the PGs several other guys are also in the 20s…it’s just bad shooting by a lot of guys. Even Shack, who started hot, has been under 40% in every game since Houston and over half have been under 30%. Basically the entire team is either in a shooting slump and/or just isn’t a very good shooter.

Last edited:
Having JD and his family so close to Greenville the last couple of years it was easy to buy into his hype. However, he is nowhere close to the player I was hoping he would be. He is just a freshman so with a lot of work he can improve his offensive game enough to live up to the expectations. But he has a long way to go before he is ready to move on to the NBA. I believe his NIL deal is pretty good this year but his NIL value is dropping as fast as the Clemson QB. CNO’s coaching value is dropping just as fast as JD’s NIL value. They both need to turn it around and get Alabama basketball back on track.

I’ve never liked his offense, and I’ve said that since he got here. It’s too easy to defend. Just guard the rim and the 3 point line because we ain’t gonna shoot it from anywhere in between. It’s a gimmicky offense that looks great when we’re hitting shots, but it’s not fundamentally sound. If it were, we wouldn’t be the only team in the country running it. But Oats thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. That’s one of his problems.
Agree 100%. I said before that I think the best coaches can adjust his system to his players, Oats has shown he is either incapable of doing that or too stubborn...

Reactions: jtr4dad
I like his offense, but I hate the defensive effort this year. You can't have one without the other in basketball and expect to win consistantly.

Agree 100%. I said before that I think the best coaches can adjust his system to his players, Oats has shown he is either incapable of doing that or too stubborn...
I don’t disagree, however, Grant and especially Avery talked about how fast they wanted to play. “We wanna score in 7 seconds.” Neither felt they had the personnel so they took the air out of the ball and it hurt recruiting. Hats off to Oats for doing what he said he was going to do. It’s not his fault he had a true freshman go pro and a McDonads All American tear his ACL. Not to mention he went out and got Frenchie over every other program in the country and the kid apparently isn’t good enough to beat out Ambrose-Hylton for mop up duty minutes.

IMO, Oat's system requires quality guard play, bigs that can make outside shots, and long-range shooting (3s). When you have 3 guards on the floor at the same time and none are producing, added to that a big that can't shoot long or short-range, makes a recipe for disaster against good teams with quality bigs. Our 4s & 5s are weak. They can't rebound, score, or defend on a consistent basis. JD and Miles have hops and should be rebounding their asses off. Every team has TOs, but ours are careless and the offender doesn't appear to care. Oat's also needs to make strategical usage of his timeouts. When Bama attempts to go on a run, the opposing coach will call a TO to break our momentum. When the opponent goes on a run, Oats just let it play out until there is a TV timeout.

Reactions: RollTide15
I don’t disagree, however, Grant and especially Avery talked about how fast they wanted to play. “We wanna score in 7 seconds.” Neither felt they had the personnel so they took the air out of the ball and it hurt recruiting. Hats off to Oats for doing what he said he was going to do. It’s not his fault he had a true freshman go pro and a McDonads All American tear his ACL. Not to mention he went out and got Frenchie over every other program in the country and the kid apparently isn’t good enough to beat out Ambrose-Hylton for mop up duty minutes.
It kinda is his fault. True freshmen going pro is the way of college basketball today; you have to plan accordingly. The McDonald's All-American couldn't get on the court at Texas Tech so we don't know how much he could have helped anyway. And Frenchie has to be developed, it was one of the big criticism on Avery on here was that he didn't develop highly ranked talented players to get the most out of them.

Either way, a great coach can get the best out of what he has to work with. This is now entirely his team; he doesn't have the core of players Avery brought in that carried this team.

The crazy part is I remember being in threads where a good majority of posters here would say they couldn't wait for Avery’s players to move on and this is all of Oat’s players. Well, here we are...

It kinda is his fault. True freshmen going pro is the way of college basketball today; you have to plan accordingly. The McDonald's All-American couldn't get on the court at Texas Tech so we don't know how much he could have helped anyway. And Frenchie has to be developed, it was one of the big criticism on Avery on here was that he didn't develop highly ranked talented players to get the most out of them.

Either way, a great coach can get the best out of what he has to work with. This is now entirely his team; he doesn't have the core of players Avery brought in that carried this team.

The crazy part is I remember being in threads where a good majority of posters here would say they couldn't wait for Avery’s players to move on and this is all of Oat’s players. Well, here we are...
I 100 percent agree that the people who couldn’t wait for petty and herb to move on are morons… and I said it the whole time. Those were the last remaining players in Avery’s one good class. Frenchie not being developed is not on oats at all though… he’s been hurt the entire time he’s been here. Hard to develop him as a player when you’re just trying to get him into basketball shape. As much as people have been biased against Avery in the past, for some reason you seem to have a vendetta against Oats. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

I 100 percent agree that the people who couldn’t wait for petty and herb to move on are morons… and I said it the whole time. Those were the last remaining players in Avery’s one good class. Frenchie not being developed is not on oats at all though… he’s been hurt the entire time he’s been here. Hard to develop him as a player when you’re just trying to get him into basketball shape. As much as people have been biased against Avery in the past, for some reason you seem to have a vendetta against Oats. Doesn’t make much sense to me.
I don't have a vendetta against Oats; I don't think his style of basketball is going to win consistently.

I was critical of Avery and thought he should move on because I didn't think he knew how to connect to college kids. He coached them like they were pro players and their development was squarely on them.

I wish Oats would adjust his style of play. I don't mind him wanting to shoot 3, but he discourages shooting the midrange and it's there often because teams play them to shoot the 3 or drive it all the way. Far too many times we look to kick it out for a 3 and teams are jumping the passing lanes.

Oats said before the season that they would not be running plays for Bediako, he would have to find his own shots. Really? You have a legit 7 footer and you're not going to run any plays for him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT