ADVERTISEMENT

Football 🏈 Alabama coaches Monday press conference

Jack Knowlton

All American
Staff
Oct 10, 2023
Kane Wommack up to the podium first.

"I thought in fall camp there are days where the days can get long. You're competing with your offense day in and day out and I thought our guys brought a level of intensity and focus to fall camp..." Said he thought Alabama's defense got what it deserved Saturday.

Wommack said Alabama had a couple of critical tackles on third downs Saturday and is looking to get things cleaned up this week. He said the team showed early that it could handle Western Kentucky's tempo and formations.

"We were able to effect the quarterback early in pass rush. We hit him early in the game and that paid dividends."

"I was really proud of our guys for their fight and play in the red zone." Said the defense stayed focused when WKU went on its 20+ play drive.

Wommack said the two takeaways were positive but Alabama could have capitalized more on those and had the opportunity to score on defense. "I did not think we met the standard for what we're capable on defense there." Said there were also missed opportunities to get sacks.

On frequent defensive subs: "I think players showed in fall cam that they can be trusted... I think as a staff it's really important early to push yourself to get guys in games." Said Alabama will need its young players as the season goes on.

On Quay Russaw: "He's not a real vocal guy on the team but he's a great teammate. He's really leaned into what we're asking at that Wolf position... He's a well-rounded individual. He's gifted physically." Said Russaw has been able to handle the scheme and impressed in the first game.

On Zabien Brown starting: "Zabien probably from the start of spring ball, all the way through fall camp was the most consistent when it came to fixing issues." Said Brown was well-deserving for going out with the first 11.

On James Smith: "I thought the level of growth of him form that three-month window from when we finished A-Day to fall camp he took a big leap."

Kane Wommack said DaShawn Jones was battling slightly with an injury and had not gotten as many practice reps this week but is expected to make a full recovery.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News