ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama's Tournament Run Comes to an End against UCLA in OT

Other than Petty, I'm not sure there is an overall problem with ball handling. I said in another post that we just seemed lethargic on offense. Especially JQ and Shack, who otherwise are pretty good ball handlers, or an elite ball handler in JQ's case.

I respectfully disagree. Outside of JQ, our entire team is below average ball handlers.

JQ and Shack need to fall in love with assist as much as they love forcing shots at the rim. If they do that, we might be unstoppable next year.

I respectfully disagree. Outside of JQ, our entire team is below average ball handlers.

I see what you're saying, but is it that they are below average ball handlers, or that we ask guys in positions that typically don't handle the ball outside of the post to do too much dribbling? Petty should be a better ball handler than he is. I think overall Shack does a better job handling than not. He just seems to have bad games once in a while like last night. IMO we shouldn't be asking guys like Herb, Reese, etc. to be perimeter ball handlers or bring the ball up the court, but opinions are like a$$holes everybody has one.

Reactions: BaselineLeaner4
Yea Saxon your negative posts sure helped, especially the one stating you wish you had a coach like Cronin instead of CNO.
I don’t care if it was done tongue in cheek,

I see what you're saying, but is it that they are below average ball handlers, or that we ask guys in positions that typically don't handle the ball outside of the post to do too much dribbling? Petty should be a better ball handler than he is. I think overall Shack does a better job handling than not. He just seems to have bad games once in a while like last night. IMO we shouldn't be asking guys like Herb, Reese, etc. to be perimeter ball handlers or bring the ball up the court, but opinions are like a$$holes everybody has one.

Yeah I can get behind that. Shack and Petty should be spotting up and doing what they do best - SHOOT. Neither should be attacking the basket in isolation.

Yeah I can get behind that. Shack and Petty should be spotting up and doing what they do best - SHOOT. Neither should be attacking the basket in isolation.
Shack was our leading score and yes he did miss some at the rim, but he also made some incredible shots this year. Having more than one player that can dribble drive is why the offense is so effective. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: michael1965
Shack was our leading score and yes he did miss some at the rim, but he also made some incredible shots this year. Having more than one player that can dribble drive is why the offense is so effective. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that Shack made some very difficult shots this year but he's better with the ball in transition or slashing - not as an ISO player. He had 5 turnovers last night all on out of control drives.

He is best as a spot up shooter but we didn't get him in that position at all against UCLA

Other than Petty, I'm not sure there is an overall problem with ball handling. I said in another post that we just seemed lethargic on offense. Especially JQ and Shack, who otherwise are pretty good ball handlers, or an elite ball handler in JQ's case.
Shack was a terrible ball handler last night!

Herb has some weaknesses in his game. Ball handling is not one of them. That’s why both of his coaches have had him running point forward. I’m actually a bit confused about the criticisms of Herb’s handles. Now... finishing at the rim and making good decisions as a passer are legit critiques. But, his handles are more than adequate.

What a year. The future looks insanely talented. The group of seniors did not change the culture. They just stayed and participated on the team that did. The coaching staff, Ellis, JQ, Primo, Shack, JD, Tchikou will change the culture for the next decade plus for UA and we can all appreciate Oats putting on these performances this year with this team. FUTURE IS BRIGHT!

Reactions: BamaTexan
Herb has some weaknesses in his game. Ball handling is not one of them. That’s why both of his coaches have had him running point forward. I’m actually a bit confused about the criticisms of Herb’s handles. Now... finishing at the rim and making good decisions as a passer are legit critiques. But, his handles are more than adequate.
Herb doesn't have ball handling issues? he hit under 70% of his layups and a large part of that was stumbling to the bucket because of poor ball handling. Incredibly excited he won't be touching the ball next year.

Our lack of fundamentals really hurt us tonight. Our players need to work on ball handling all summer.
Petty, Herb, & Reese KILLED us the 1st half. Luckily Reese got lucky on the deep 3. Herb & Reese FT's were absolutely comical. Bright side, neither will touch the ball next year so there's a positive! hope the best for Herb, but will his defense make up for under 70% finishing at the rim? Not in the NBA

Petty, Herb, & Reese KILLED us the 1st half. Luckily Reese got lucky on the deep 3. Herb & Reese FT's were absolutely comical. Bright side, neither will touch the ball next year so there's a positive! hope the best for Herb, but will his defense make up for under 70% finishing at the rim? Not in the NBA
You’ve listed two first team all sec players in your list of players who killed us. In regards to your other post above: yes that would be finishing layups. I agree... it’s a struggle. Ball handling is a different category.

Reactions: pfaud001 and oslim
You’ve listed two first team all sec players in your list of players who killed us. In regards to your other post above: yes that would be finishing layups. I agree... it’s a struggle. Ball handling is a different category.
Not at all. I'm just thrilled we will actually have a better and more technical team next year. And yes I mentioned all sec players. they were terrible last night.

Neither were as bad as Shack last night.
Shack struggled but pushed too hard. He was also our leading scorer and made big improvements last year to this year. He will improve and is a great player. Just glad certain players are moving on and many new players have floors where their ceilings are. looking forward to November. Will not be surprised to see us finish the year under 4 losses especially if we land Bediako and Burnett

Oh look. A 2 seed handling business against a double digit seed even though they’re not playing well offensively AND hitting their FT’s

You are without a doubt the worst negative Nancy on this board And we all know it. Really would not expect anything positive out of you .
I acknowledged that they had a great season. Some of you are a bunch of snow flakes.

Shack struggled but pushed too hard. He was also our leading scorer and made big improvements last year to this year. He will improve and is a great player. Just glad certain players are moving on and many new players have floors where their ceilings are. looking forward to November. Will not be surprised to see us finish the year under 4 losses especially if we land Bediako and Burnett
Totally agree! Glad you’re taking into account the whole season for Shack and not his performance last night. He also had multiple games where he disappeared and/or really hurt us, but he’s a great player. Now lets do the same for our two first team all conference players. It’s absolutely insane to be glad they’re moving on.

Reactions: oslim
Totally agree! Glad you’re taking into account the whole season for Shack and not his performance last night. He also had multiple games where he disappeared and/or really hurt us, but he’s a great player. Now lets do the same for our two first team all conference players. It’s absolutely insane to be glad they’re moving on.
Wouldnt be surprised to have 3 1st team all conference players next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT