ADVERTISEMENT

Bama basketball team is very good

BamaJack7

All American
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2008
As a research scientist, I know that computer polls and the associated algorithms are the best way to determine how good teams are - those algorithms look into multidimensional vector space which humans cannot even begin to do. These algorithms are used by Vegas to set points for games. And although Bama has not been playing up to its full potential we are still ranked 16th. In addition, we have played the hardest schedule in the nation (SOS = 1). I am not sure why we have been struggling lately, but I think we are headed for a potentially good seed in the NCAA tourney. Oates is doing a fabulous job. Don't look at the AP or coaches polls - they don't even have Bama ranked. They also have Auburn in the top four. It is simply skewed toward record (less loses higher the rank usually).

As a research scientist, I know that computer polls and the associated algorithms are the best way to determine how good teams are - those algorithms look into multidimensional vector space which humans cannot even begin to do. These algorithms are used by Vegas to set points for games. And although Bama has not been playing up to its full potential we are still ranked 16th. In addition, we have played the hardest schedule in the nation (SOS = 1). I am not sure why we have been struggling lately, but I think we are headed for a potentially good seed in the NCAA tourney. Oates is doing a fabulous job. Don't look at the AP or coaches polls - they don't even have Bama ranked. They also have Auburn in the top four. It is simply skewed toward record (less loses higher the rank usually).

You think “Oats”players will make more wide open 3’s against lesser competition? Or maybe they’ll make more free throws against a lesser team. And Auburn is good. They have depth, guards, bigs and possibly the #1 pick in the draft.

Reactions: 50 Pesos
On this Sagarin list our score rating and predictor rating may be 16th and 15th but the "Recent" score ranking is 47th. That's what has to turn around or we'll end up in the mid 40s in March and hoping big wins in Dec put us on the right side of the bubble.

The RECENT, is score-based and weights RECENT play more heavily than earlier games. Its effect will become
more pronounced the longer a season goes if a given team happens to have an upward or downward trend.

By comparison the barn recent ranking is 1st.

Reactions: BamaLegacy

The Basketball Forum

Reactions: tsmithua
It is called not being able to shoot. Fairly simple actually.
There are a lot of Chicken Little's on this board.
If Bama is so bad, explain to me what other team could go 0-15 from the arc in the second half, against the 13th ranked team, and still win that half and the whole game. Not to mention LSU had a stretch where they had 4 made 3 pointers in 4 consecutive drives.
According to Kenpom.com we have beaten the 1st, 6th, 10, and 15th ranked teams in the country...if you think this team is bad, your are not very informed. Yes, they have lost to a handful of teams, none of them bad (40s ranking), but they are almost all quad 1 losses.
The potential on this team is awesome.

Reactions: yankees99
Nate said it last night. This team is immature. They can get up for the big games but they don’t get up @ Mizzou. No doubt that they’re good enough to beat anyone. 0/15 3pt in 2nd half vs LSU and still pulled out a win . We can win big games even when the shots aren’t falling.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

All you have to do is watch us pass our lazy passes to the other team, drive the lane into 4 defenders, shoot bricks from behind the arc, fail to rebound, fail to stop the other team's drives into our lane, etc. to know how good this team is at this point.

We know they can play better but they just aren't right now. Hopefully, they will get it together and start playing as a team again both on the offensive and defensive end. If they don't we are not likely to make the tournament and if we do, we will be a low seed.

Honestly, we are really hard to watch at the present time. If LSU had played anywhere close to their best last night we would have lost.

Here's to better days ahead.

Roll Tide!

Does it measure heart? Is there a study on free throws in the last 2 minutes of a game? What about clutch vs choke? I would like those measures as well!

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
You guys that have just had enough of this team should just quit posting and make life better for yourselves...and the rest of us😎

Reactions: bet9
Huge Bama bball fan here. We are shooting at what is essentially an unsustainably putrid rate in conference play so far. 5 of 6 games below 30%, 3 or 4 of them under 25% from 3. I truly don’t think we can keep that up. They’ll start falling again at some point.

if we could consistently get back up to even just 33% you could be talking 9-12 points per game difference which is massive. I liked what I saw vs LSU except for the last 2 minutes going brain dead and seemingly trying to give it away. Gotta continue to focus on defense and rebounding

Did you come to this conclusion after watching the Tide barely beat a team missing two of their three best players while playing at our house?

If Bama is so bad, explain to me what other team could go 0-15 from the arc in the second half, against the 13th ranked team, and still win that half and the whole game. Not to mention LSU had a stretch where they had 4 made 3 pointers in 4 consecutive drives.
According to Kenpom.com we have beaten the 1st, 6th, 10, and 15th ranked teams in the country...if you think this team is bad, your are not very informed. Yes, they have lost to a handful of teams, none of them bad (40s ranking), but they are almost all quad 1 losses.
EASY EXPLAINATION!!! LSU played without two of their three best players. Is that simple enough?

EASY EXPLAINATION!!! LSU played without two of their three best players. Is that simple enough?
Lol give it a rest dude. LSU isn’t some offensive juggernaut anyway and Bama lost Gary early on in the game as well. Bama built a huge lead and lsu fought back by drilling deep 3s to make it close late. Bama isn’t some awful team. They have played way below their capability lately but still in every single game against good teams(except mizzou). Im not claiming this team is destined for the final 4 but I don’t get why you are so adamant that they suck. Watch CBB and you will see only a handful of teams haven’t slumped at some point this season and we still have a long way to go

Duke and Baylor were cruising as the best 2 teams and both have dropped 2 of 4 as of right now

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

All you have to do is watch us pass our lazy passes to the other team, drive the lane into 4 defenders, shoot bricks from behind the arc, fail to rebound, fail to stop the other team's drives into our lane, etc. to know how good this team is at this point.

We know they can play better but they just aren't right now. Hopefully, they will get it together and start playing as a team again both on the offensive and defensive end. If they don't we are not likely to make the tournament and if we do, we will be a low seed.

Honestly, we are really hard to watch at the present time. If LSU had played anywhere close to their best last night we would have lost.

Here's to better days ahead.

Roll Tide!
Bad enough not shooting well but taking bad shots compounds the problem. Never seen so many balls just fired up from anywhere and, as stated, driving the paint with 3-4 opponents waiting and having no chance for success.

I dont think anybody on this board with a brain thinks this team is bad. But they have not been playing very good lately. Doesnt matter how good you are if you dont play to your potential. LSU played sloppy defense and fouls is the only reason we won this game. LSU beat themselves. Out shot us from the floor. We were able to win the boards. But they fouled us 25 times. Need to play better if we are gonna get a good seed and make noise in the tourney

True I though it was over until LSU hit those 4 in a row 3 pointers then BAMA had to tighten up, but when they started throwing up bricks on the free throws I started thinking are we going to lose this game right here. :cool:

You left out the fact that they play down to bad competition. That being said, I think they will be at least final 16 this year in the tournament. They are one really good 4 or 5 type player from being in the final 8 in my opinion.

This team played so well against Baylor, but they do not even look like the same team tonight. It seems the home team advantage is working for Auburn tonight.

This team played so well against Baylor, but they do not even look like the same team tonight. It seems the home team advantage is working for Auburn tonight.
Baylor was missing their best player. Home crowd gave Bama extra energy.

Bad enough not shooting well but taking bad shots compounds the problem. Never seen so many balls just fired up from anywhere and, as stated, driving the paint with 3-4 opponents waiting and having no chance for success.
Bama offense is like watching intramurals with everybody on speed

People keep acting like Alabama isn't missing players. We didn't have Gary or Miles during some of the losses. Injuries are part of the game.

Last edited:
Baylor was missing their leading scorer at 14 points per game. Case could be made he is their best player.

You

You misspelled not very good

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT