ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Does it really matter?

BAMAPG

All American
Jan 11, 2004
I have been asked to share thoughts I had 5 years ago and even back prior to hiring CAG. I have said for many years hiring a new coach is like a pacifier for fans ... gets them smiling/buckled up then in a few years we buy a new pacifier.

Basketball does it really matter? I DO NOT think basketball is a MAJOR Priority for the university starting with the President. No one will say that but look no further than their actions.

Has anyone seen a plan to upgrade the PROGRAM ... not just the facilities. Has anyone identified the problems? If so what is the plan to fix them? If we don't analyze the current state of the program and develop a plan to where we want to go ... to change the culture will take YEARS but if you do not have a plan it will never happen.

Just some ideas ... not meant to be the play but to have people stop and think how do we make the program better.
  1. Passion what role can we play in making BB bigger in the state. Idea have 2 doubleheaders each year in the state ... Bama plays USA and AU plays UAB. The following weekend Bama plays UAB and AU plays USA. Rotate between the 4 home team sites. Have the 4 coaches /teams put on clinics in the host city for young kids .. and HS kids. Week after SECCG and following week.
  2. Students ... they are the MOST important fans in the arena at almost every school. Change the seating at Bama with students getting all of courtside seats which show on camera ... recruits watch games. Have a club area for students for pre game .. pizza and soda. Students / fans make a HUGE impact on recruits .. heck have recruits sit in the student section ...change the culture among students. Go ahead make fun of "bribing" students.
  3. Have a Tide Pride for BB ONLY .....
  4. Make the games an EVENT. Set up stuff for kids and families ... shooting free throws, passing a BB, pictures behind a Bama uniform ... I watch at every Jaguars game as kids line up to throw a football, run a 20, have their picture made behind a Jaguars uniform ... kids and families having fun. Doing stuff they can't do at home ... if the kids have fun mom and dad will be back.
  5. Allow people to bring in the own food, no drinks, in a one gallon bag ... has worked in an NFL stadium and worked in old Yankee stadium ... vs having them leave disappointed in sub par food and long lines. NO LINE at their fridge,
  6. Most important imo Dedicate an assistant AD to be in charge of BB give that person wide control and support let them shoot and miss and celebrate the makes. Years ago the Jaguars hired a person to be in charge of "Game Day Experience" and he reports DIRECTLY to the OWNER. Team sucked and for 4 years increased attendance every year ... again the team SUCKED ... but he made sure we felt valued. At the end of the year we got a special thank you and a tour of all facilities for ATTENDING every game. Learn from other places ... go to VCU go to the Jags go to WSU etc.... learn from others.
I am sure many have other ideas some of my ideas may not be good ... the assistant AD should look to the fans for ideas ... work hand in hand with the HC to build the program. What happens is people look for a REASON why something cannot work thus we stick to firing a coach and hiring a new one ... and that works so great.

I think a new arena would be a huge help with recruiting coaches and players. If the culture does not change from the top down ... just tell the fans the truth "We are a football school and basketball is what it is ... if we have a good team every 13 years great if not it is what it is .. just remember Spring Practice is starting". I know the score and though I LOVE BB I certainly do not get upset with our program or our coach ... it is what it is. I dream of the day VERY GOOD coaches are calling us when we have a vacancy vs us having to over pay to get a coach/.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News