ADVERTISEMENT

BBall future

BamafaninCA

All State
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2009
Danville, CA
I was reading the site and excited about the latest additions to next years class.

it got me wondering, how many of these players would declare for the draft after next years hopefully even more successful season.

do we have the athletes to keep the momentum going and not have a recruiting slump

bigger concern is if oats sticks around after next year

maybe I’m being overly cautious

help me walk away from the edge! 🤪

Reactions: Sweetlou10
If the team and the players have a great season I'm sure several could leave and go pro.
If he recruited this well with a 500 record I'm sure his recruiting will actually improve. So we'll just reload.

Every new Bama coach has recruited great to start then they declined some...the reason being is they couldn't develop talent and when the kids saw it they didn't come and those coaches began to fail.

Oats could leave or he could stay but I can't complain if the Ole boy brings me (not anyone else's) my NCAA tournament championship.

I think we should stop getting used to having "high caliber players" for more than 2 years. So now would be a good time to probably start believing and getting used to the Transfer portal players as a 1 or 2 year deal and 5 star talent as a 2 year max. That way we temper our expectations.

Reactions: deadeyedon
Nate Oats will stay at Bama for several years imo. Only one player could declare next season and that’s likely JQ. I still firmly believe JD will play 2 years, Primo will play more than 2, and so will everyone else. Now if JD sets the world on fire and works his way into starting the whole season, then that might change.

Nate Oats will stay at Bama for several years imo. Only one player could declare next season and that’s likely JQ. I still firmly believe JD will play 2 years, Primo will play more than 2, and so will everyone else. Now if JD sets the world on fire and works his way into starting the whole season, then that might change.
Several years only?

I was reading the site and excited about the latest additions to next years class.

it got me wondering, how many of these players would declare for the draft after next years hopefully even more successful season.

do we have the athletes to keep the momentum going and not have a recruiting slump

bigger concern is if oats sticks around after next year

maybe I’m being overly cautious

help me walk away from the edge! 🤪
We have the athletes to be successful. What we are probably going to miss from last year is the senior leadership we had. They seemed to keep everyone calm in those close games that we used to lose.

My main concern is saving up money for tickets and travel for MARCH MADNESS. I agree with Harp that Oats seems like a guy that realizes his hard work has paid off and he seems to have some humility about him and thankful that Bama has given him the keys at a Power 5 school. I love how Oats sees having Saban and the most dominant football program in the country as a huge plus. In turn, Bama needs to continue to show its commitment back to Oats and the program by investing in a new arena. No more lipstick on Coleman. Florida showed in 06-07 you can do basketball with football. No reason Bama can't do the same.
I'm not sure how the roster will shake out, but after the three commitments of this past week, I feel confident in saying we have the most talented and deepest roster in the SEC over even UK, and no matter what our rank is, I believe we will perform as a top-5 team in the country. Having JQ-JD as lead guards along with accumulated talent at the SG-SF-PF positions, I just feel rock solid no matter the combination. If either Tchikou or Bediako becomes a solid, competent player this coming season so that we have a strong 6'11'' presence, we're even that much more dangerous. Having experienced players like 6'9'' Lang Wilson and now 6'8'' Gurley helps a lot.
I think another part of what gives me confidence is the buy-in to defense we saw this past season. No doubt losing the seniors we did, we will have to recreate that level of defensive intensity, but I believe we can.
I recognize we will have growing pains and bumps along the way, but also don't think I've ever felt more optimistic heading into a season as how I feel about the group Oats has assembled to complement his coaching pedigree. Roll Tide!

Coaching ability aside, I think the thing I appreciate most from Oats so far is that he and his staff aren't content with any roster and they're more than willing to continue recruiting and turning over rocks to find the best 13 they can find. It sucks for kids shown the door but I was beyond tired of the previous three coaching staffs that were completely content with just having 10 or 11 kids that were legit recruited scholarship players.

Gottfried seemed to only ever want to play 7 at the most so he only needed enough to have a proper 5 on 5 in practice. Not that they practiced them all that hard back then (whole different convo there).

Grant drove me nuts with how he would let us start practice with no more than 10 players that weren't walkons because he missed on a few recruits and had one or two quit on him. Then a few injuries later they're picking up kids at the REC center so they can have actual 5 on 5 scrimmages in Dec. To this day I believe Grant could have been good here if he would have worked harder at recruiting. We aren't a program that can rest on cruitin.

CAJ was a better in that he recruited to fill, and apparently he was amazing at evaluating talent, but he would stop too early and when someone left unexpectedly he seemed unable or unwilling to fill. Or maybe more pointedly was content with leaving that 13th slot to Jr.

Given limitations on numbers and how easy it is for a kid to xfer no school should ever start summer without having to figure out the logistics of fitting 15 into 13. As soon as you settle on 13 in March or April you have two kids drop out in June and something happen to a third. Better to have a buffer and worry about where to put them later on. Just be up front about it with all the players involved. Oats gets that and I like it.

Reactions: bet9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT