ADVERTISEMENT

Blame the players again…

aggietider

All American
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2012
“I thought we’d get a better effort than we did.”
EVERY time we have a bad loss, or probably any loss, he blames the players and their effort. I like the guy. And I think he can coach. But he better learn that he has to learn a lot of things. And publicly blaming the players and their effort every time you lose isn’t going to help the process.
We can’t guard the ball. It’s not like they don’t want to get stops and win. Ever wondered if this group can’t pick the ball up at half court and pressure everything? Maybe it’s not effort, maybe they just aren’t good at certain things. Quit blaming the kids to the whole world and play different players or adjust.

“I haven’t done a good job of developing the leadership on this team and in that regard I’ve failed this team” also Nate tonight. Both are true imo. It is the players fault when they don’t try hard. And it is Nate’s job to get them where they need to be mentally every single night and he has failed at it this season.

He didn’t say anything inappropriate here. I think you’re overreacting a bit. He’s not calling out specific players. Most of what he said was blaming himself as a coach. I do agree if defensive effort is truly important Miles should’ve been yanked immediately after his half hearted close out in the first half and giving up the open three.

Ultimately outside of the pros everything falls back on the coach. The players are definitely not blameless when you have effort issues and you hope each group you have can self motivate but sometimes at this level you have to be able to push the right buttons and Oats just hasn’t gotten that done this year. It’s frustrating for sure….

I can’t say this enough though… we have to keep cooler heads about our program as a whole. If the worst thing we say about oats is “poor coaching job let us fall all the way to the 5 line in the tournament” then he is exceeding what any realistic person would anticipate for our program. We are coming from the gutter guys

Last edited:
EVERY time we have a bad loss, or probably any loss, he blames the players and their effort. I like the guy. And I think he can coach. But he better learn that he has to learn a lot of things. And publicly blaming the players and their effort every time you lose isn’t going to help the process.
We can’t guard the ball. It’s not like they don’t want to get stops and win. Ever wondered if this group can’t pick the ball up at half court and pressure everything? Maybe it’s not effort, maybe they just aren’t good at certain things. Quit blaming the kids to the whole world and play different players or adjust.
I could not agree more with the fact he always comes out and throw the kids under the bus. I have listened to them ask Wimp this very question on the Next Round, and he said he wouldn't do it. He said he would work their “fannies” off behind closed doors but wouldn't come out and blame the players in media. And Wimp coached during a different time when some here might say the players were tougher and he still didn't do it.

I don't go to watch practice like some here might say they do, but I also have a hard time believing that this is just a game situation. It's like my son's middle school football team; they had one day during the offseason when they tackled to the ground. The rest of the time, including during the season, they only “thud” tackled. But then they wondered why there were so many missed tackles during the season.

There is no way you can convince me that this is a problem that only shows up in games. He sees them every single day.

Reactions: Bhug and jtr4dad
Ultimately outside of the pros everything falls back on the coach. The players are definitely not blameless when you have effort issues and you hope each group you have can self motivate but sometimes at this level you have to be able to push the right buttons and Oats just hasn’t gotten that done this year. It’s frustrating for sure….

I can’t say this enough though… we have to keep cooler heads about our program as a whole. If the worst thing we say about oats is “poor coaching job let us fall all the way to the 5 line in the tournament” then he is exceeding what any realistic person would anticipate for our program. We are coming from the gutter guys
Our program isn't coming from the "gutter". We haven't been perennial title contenders, but we've been nowhere near the gutter.

Reactions: Bhug and G.O.A.T-23
Sounds like you are more Aggie than Tider

I could not agree more with the fact he always comes out and throw the kids under the bus. I have listened to them ask Wimp this very question on the Next Round, and he said he wouldn't do it. He said he would work their “fannies” off behind closed doors but wouldn't come out and blame the players in media. And Wimp coached during a different time when some here might say the players were tougher and he still didn't do it.

I don't go to watch practice like some here might say they do, but I also have a hard time believing that this is just a game situation. It's like my son's middle school football team; they had one day during the offseason when they tackled to the ground. The rest of the time, including during the season, they only “thud” tackled. But then they wondered why there were so many missed tackles during the season.

There is no way you can convince me that this is a problem that only shows up in games. He sees them every single day.
I have a theory. I know our walk ons run the other teams offense and sets, but that’s not the same.
I just wonder if our guys are so accustomed to playing man to man against our own offense, where there is no off ball screens and no movement and that’s what they see most of the time from each other that it’s just harder to adjust to the other…
I haven’t been able to tell for us on tv but I thought this was probably an issue but I could see it last night so much better. JQ had much more room to drive it last year bc we had more and better shooters. Heck, last night one time we had Gary, Miles and Rojas on the court. JQ and JD aren’t going to have any room to drive with those guys in the corners bc people aren’t scared of getting beat by them.
I get this is what Oats does. And people say our offense isn’t the problem. I disagree. Each end affects the other. Turnovers kill the defense. Shooting fast affects the defense, especially a poor defense. You get more possessions but so does the other team. The more threes you shoot, the better chance of long rebounds that turn into fast breaks. I get it, this is just what he does. But some adjustments on offense could help this defense.
And maybe apply a little less pressure on D since we can’t keep the ball in front? Maybe don’t pick the ball up at half court every time and help a little harder more so than deny passes?
Or keep doing everything the same and blame the players bc obviously they can’t do some of these things very well.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Sounds like you are more Aggie than Tider
Sounds like I’m more of a realist that someone that wears the crimson colored glasses. Any leader of a group that constantly blames the group for problems isn’t going to get the best out of them. And at some point, they’ll start to get less and less out of of them. If you disagree with that, then we disagree.

Our program isn't coming from the "gutter". We haven't been perennial title contenders, but we've been nowhere near the gutter.
Mired in mediocrity maybe? We are about to play more tournament games in the last 13 months than we played in the 13 years previous. Coming up on THIRTY years since we advanced in the tournament in back to back seasons. My point is some act like Oats has taken a blue blood juggernaut and is running it into the ground. We are going the other direction.

I agree with the idea that he hasn’t handled his players well this season

This, I think some like to exaggerate how bad Alabama was in order to throw more praises Oats way. Oats has done a fine job but its not like he turned around a program like Auburn that has historically been one of the worse in the SEC. Bama made the tourney just one year prior to Oats getting there and they won a game so it wasn't some one and done.

Reactions: jtr4dad
This, I think some like to exaggerate how bad Alabama was in order to throw more praises Oats way. Oats has done a fine job but its not like he turned around a program like Auburn that has historically been one of the worse in the SEC. Bama made the tourney just one year prior to Oats getting there and they won a game so it wasn't some one and done.
Oats isn't a bad coach, but he certainly isn't the savior that some of our fans make him out to be. If we lose to LSU Saturday as expected, he will have finished just one season in his first three with a winning conference record. Now that one year was great, but he needs to be more consistent than that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: bet9 and G.O.A.T-23
“I haven’t done a good job of developing the leadership on this team and in that regard I’ve failed this team” also Nate tonight. Both are true imo. It is the players fault when they don’t try hard. And it is Nate’s job to get them where they need to be mentally every single night and he has failed at it this season.
The trying hard things is crap. You’re telling me we’ve played a whole season and he’s still playing guys that don’t “try hard.” These guys want to win. They play hard. And if they don’t, it’s the coaches job to fix that. Put somebody else in the game if they have lapses. But as a whole, these guys are playing hard physically.
When a team is doing things that don’t fit their skill set very well, it 100% makes it looks like they aren’t trying hard.
I’ve said it many times, I believe in Oats. I was saying lock him up from the beginning. But after watching this season, I’m worried he isn’t willing to learn and adjust. Blaming the players over and over will get you guys that get tired of busting their butts and getting blamed. When you lose them, it’s over. And you think recruits don’t see that? You think Bruce Pearl isn’t saying, look at all these quotes? You won’t get that here at Auburn. I won’t throw you under the bus over and over to the media.

The trying hard things is crap. You’re telling me we’ve played a whole season and he’s still playing guys that don’t “try hard.” These guys want to win. They play hard. And if they don’t, it’s the coaches job to fix that. Put somebody else in the game if they have lapses. But as a whole, these guys are playing hard physically.
When a team is doing things that don’t fit their skill set very well, it 100% makes it looks like they aren’t trying hard.
I’ve said it many times, I believe in Oats. I was saying lock him up from the beginning. But after watching this season, I’m worried he isn’t willing to learn and adjust. Blaming the players over and over will get you guys that get tired of busting their butts and getting blamed. When you lose them, it’s over. And you think recruits don’t see that? You think Bruce Pearl isn’t saying, look at all these quotes? You won’t get that here at Auburn. I won’t throw you under the bus over and over to the media.
bruce can’t compete with whatever oats is pitching on the trail.

You can’t honestly watch this team play defense on some nights vs others and not notice a difference in the energy level? It’s maddening and I agree it’s ultimately on oats but the effort and focus was absolute dog shit on defense and it also shows up with the careless BS turnovers. The players are capable enough to reel off an amazing resume of wins. Claiming the players are being asked to do things they can’t do doesn’t add up for a team that wins the games we do. If they couldn’t do it it wouldn’t work against the best teams in the country.

every team has leadership and the team takes on the attitude of their leadership. This teams leadership ain’t great. It is what it is. Should oats be spilling that out to the media every PC? No probably not. Is it oats job to fix that and figure that out? Yes it is and he said such last night. But you can’t deny that Quinerly is a guy that better not make a mistake early in a game bc it’s down hill from there, and Keon is maybe our best leader but you can’t lead with your head down and shoulders sagging, shack I think tries but when you spend the off-season in the transfer portal and 3 thousand mikes from the team it’s probably not ideal for developing that role. Yea they want to win but this team does not understand the commitment it takes to do it night in and night out

I would agree that effort may not look good if you are asking guys to do things outside of their skill set, but last night they struggled with catching and passing the ball. That should be in any basketball players skill set. Unfortunately, last nights effort was straight $hit, and that is unacceptable for a conference game in March.

I blame the coach and the players. The players for obviously not putting forth the effort, and the coach for allowing an environment where players think they can take a night off in March. Don't ever recall seeing that under Wimp.

Over the last three centuries? It’s been very, very irrelevant. First back to back tournament appearances in 15 years. That’s pretty poor

You can’t honestly watch this team play defense on some nights vs others and not notice a difference in the energy level? It’s maddening and I agree it’s ultimately on oats but the effort and focus was absolute dog shit on defense and it also shows up with the careless BS turnovers. The players are capable enough to reel off an amazing resume of wins. Claiming the players are being asked to do things they can’t do doesn’t add up for a team that wins the games we do. If they couldn’t do it it wouldn’t work against the best teams in the country.

every team has leadership and the team takes on the attitude of their leadership. This teams leadership ain’t great. It is what it is. Should oats be spilling that out to the media every PC? No probably not. Is it oats job to fix that and figure that out? Yes it is and he said such last night. But you can’t deny that Quinerly is a guy that better not make a mistake early in a game bc it’s down hill from there, and Keon is maybe our best leader but you can’t lead with your head down and shoulders sagging, shack I think tries but when you spend the off-season in the transfer portal and 3 thousand mikes from the team it’s probably not ideal for developing that role. Yea they want to win but this team does not understand the commitment it takes to do it night in and night out
You say me claiming they are being asked to do things they can’t doesn’t add up when we win some games we do. I’d say the same for your leadership. We have the leadership we need against the best teams in the country?
Kids get up big bigger games, obviously. But maybe sometimes these really good teams just play us how they play and don’t scheme as much as lesser teams. These lesser teams know they can’t guard us a certain way bc they don’t have the players to do so. So they do a much better job of scheming and playing team defense/offense. Where these good teams think they have the guys to do it, and we get more one on ones against the better teams and we win enough of those.

I would agree that effort may not look good if you are asking guys to do things outside of their skill set, but last night they struggled with catching and passing the ball. That should be in any basketball players skill set. Unfortunately, last nights effort was straight $hit, and that is unacceptable for a conference game in March.

I blame the coach and the players. The players for obviously not putting forth the effort, and the coach for allowing an environment where players think they can take a night off in March. Don't ever recall seeing that under Wimp.
I bet Wimp didn’t constantly through his players under the bus to the media. That’s the fastest way to get poor effort.

If memory serves JD started over Quinerly again last night. It was obvious Q was off from the get go last night when he finally got in the game. Just wondering if he's pissed off because JD is getting the nod over him. Not saying it's right, but I can't argue with him being upset watching JD get the start over him. Other than JD's speed and jumping ability he's shown me nothing so far this year. He's a turnover machine that has no clue on defense.

Reactions: bet9
If memory serves JD started over Quinerly again last night. It was obvious Q was off from the get go last night when he finally got in the game. Just wondering if he's pissed off because JD is getting the nod over him. Not saying it's right, but I can't argue with him being upset watching JD get the start over him. Other than JD's speed and jumping ability he's shown me nothing so far this year. He's a turnover machine that has no clue on defense.
And Oats just gave that speech about if a guy isn’t playing D then he isn’t playing. That was just a waste of his breath bc that isn’t true. At the best least, JQ should have started the 2nd half. But JD came out in the second half early and just gave things away.

I bet Wimp didn’t constantly through his players under the bus to the media. That’s the fastest way to get poor effort.
I don't think it was a regular thing under Wimp, but he certainly wasn't afraid to call players out. One thing I can guarantee you under Wimp is that if one of his teams gave an effort like last night they would have been running the steps at Coleman this morning. Not sure if any of that is going on with Oats.

it's not just last year, we've had huge wins this year as well. Oats coached the same way in those games as our horrible performances. The difference is Shack, JQ, and JD all played well in those games and terrible in the bad games. They should be carrying us instead of playing like Rec League rejects. Oats has tried the supportive approach and calling them out, neither has been the magic bullet. if they show up we'll win some tournament games if not it'll be one & done. IMO

The Coach is always a huge factor in success. That is evident in any sport. Some have it and some don’t. Bear could get 110% effort out of just about anyone. Some coaches can’t get two star effort out of 5 stars.
But I will also add this team fails at basic high school fundamentals and their attitude is selfish.
Oats needs blue collar players like Herb and Petty and Reese. Players that take pride in work ethic and try to one up on their ability. This team has none of those type players. These guys lack the attitude towards themselves to get better. The end of the season will probably be good so the bad apples can move on. Team full of DJ Hall and Billingley.

And Oats just gave that speech about if a guy isn’t playing D then he isn’t playing. That was just a waste of his breath bc that isn’t true. At the best least, JQ should have started the 2nd half. But JD came out in the second half early and just gave things away.
If Oats truly held players to that ultimatum than JD would never see the floor. I hate to keep picking on the guy, and I understand he's a true freshman, but he has shown zero improvement over the course of the season. There was a point in the game last night where he was so lost on defense he actually turned his back to the ball and ran into his own man. By comparison, I was equally critical of Bediako, but I can honestly say he's shown improvement over the last few weeks.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B
it's not just last year, we've had huge wins this year as well. Oats coached the same way in those games as our horrible performances. The difference is Shack, JQ, and JD all played well in those games and terrible in the bad games. They should be carrying us instead of playing like Rec League rejects. Oats has tried the supportive approach and calling them out, neither has been the magic bullet. if they show up we'll win some tournament games if not it'll be one & done. IMO
Run a rec league half court offense, look like a rec league team on offense some nights.

Have zero issues with what Oats said. These kids need to learn accountability, discipline and consistency. This generation has a hard time accepting criticism.
That being said- Oats does need to improve on time outs and adjustments/

Have zero issues with what Oats said. These kids need to learn accountability, discipline and consistency. This generation has a hard time accepting criticism.
He’s said the same thing over and over. He’s the coach. Get them to improve or play somebody else? His job isn’t to blame the players for every loss. It’s to adjust things and fix the problem. All I see is blame but no change.

He’s said the same thing over and over. He’s the coach. Get them to improve or play somebody else? His job isn’t to blame the players for every loss. It’s to adjust things and fix the problem. All I see is blame but no change.
When are the kids accountable?

Wimp coached during a time when kids didn't have a hard time accepting criticism and yet even he said he wouldn't blame the players in the media. If it is as simple as getting them to play hard, do your job and get it done, don't throw them under the bus every single time...

Reactions: bet9 and jtr4dad
Everyday. In class. Study hall. Practice. Workouts. Games. But not to the media EVERY time you lose a game.
Okay/ but you know what? The effort was pathetic last night. He was correct- and has been with most losses.
Look/ Oats is ultimately responsible- but the lack of “ want to” from some of these guys is alarming at times.

Okay/ but you know what? The effort was pathetic last night. He was correct- and has been with most losses.
Look/ Oats is ultimately responsible- but the lack of “ want to” from some of these guys is alarming at times.
I’m not saying the effort is perfect. I’m saying constantly blaming the players to the media isn’t going to help. If anything, it’ll hurt. But I do think adjustments would help the look of things. Sometimes it looks like effort but it’s just they can’t do what’s asked of them.

Last year we had two great leaders on the team. This year not sure we even have one.

You say me claiming they are being asked to do things they can’t doesn’t add up when we win some games we do. I’d say the same for your leadership. We have the leadership we need against the best teams in the country?
Kids get up big bigger games, obviously. But maybe sometimes these really good teams just play us how they play and don’t scheme as much as lesser teams. These lesser teams know they can’t guard us a certain way bc they don’t have the players to do so. So they do a much better job of scheming and playing team defense/offense. Where these good teams think they have the guys to do it, and we get more one on ones against the better teams and we win enough of those.
It’s inconsistent effort and focus from the guys you need to be your leaders. It’s directly correlated to the inconsistent play of this team. The team thinks they can relax and they can’t afford to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT