Football Recruiting BONE: Weekend thoughts

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
SEC Power Rankings

You know what it doesn't even matter

1. Alabama 2. Florida

The Crimson Tide and Gators will play in the SEC Championship a week from Saturday. It's the fourth time the two will square off with Nick Saban at the helm at Alabama. Alabama has beaten Florida twice in the championship game (2009, 2015) with the Gators winning in 2008. I know most of you weren't aware of that info.

There is no chance for another SEC program to make the college football playoff. This is it for the SEC. I have a hard time seeing Alabama fall out of the top four even with a loss to Auburn and Florida. I don't think UA loses either game. I think Alabama will remain No.1 even if it loses one of the two.

Alabama is seeking perfection. Alabama has four national championships in seven years. Only one team has finished undefeated (2009). I
They want to make a statement these next few weeks especially after the lackluster performance against UTC.

Football in Texas used to be good right?

Texas: Bye Strong. He really is a good man though.

Texas Tech: Just because your coach resembles Ryan Gosling doesn't mean he can field a defense.

TCU: Didn't a lot of people predict you to be in the playoff this year?

Baylor: You lost to Texas who lost to Kansas. Blown out the last three weeks. I know the QB is down, and the program is collapsing, but damn...

Texas A&M: You were once in the top 10 this season. 8-3 feels more like 5-5.

SMU: I have no idea how they beat Houston

The best team in Texas
Houston: And your coach is about to make a lot of money somewhere else.

A look ahead
The Iron Bowl(duh)
Michigan at Ohio State
Florida at Florida State
LSU/Texas A&M (Thursday)
Washington at Washington State (Friday)
Toledo at Western Michigan (Friday)
Michigan State at Penn State
Utah at Colorado

Butkus Finalist

NFL Power Rankings
1. Seattle Seahawks
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. New England Patriots
4. Washington Redskins
5. New York Giants
6. Oakland Raiders
7. Atlanta Falcons
8. Kansas City Chiefs
9. Denver Broncos
10. Detroit Lions

Landon Collins is turning into a star isn't he? I kept hearing the phrase "Bama Bust" last year when he was only a rookie. Now he is tied with a league-high five interceptions, and most NFL analysts say he is a lock for his first Pro Bowl. Great to see him performing at such a high level. Collins has five interceptions in the last four games.

Recruiting is about to get crazy

Just a heads up this is not an Insider Report. Sort of, but not really. Just some quick hitters.

I'm going to continue to say this- Don't worry about the numbers!. No need to ask about the numbers. No need to wonder how Alabama is going to fit this person or that person in the class. It all works out.

The plan has been to sign around 27. Alabama will have at least 10 players enroll in January. Let me hit position by position on how many more players Alabama wants or will at least try to sign.

Quarterback (0)
Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones are solid with their commitments. Tua won a state championship a few days ago, and also broke the career passing yards record in the state. He finished his career with 8,158 yards with 84 touchdowns. He also had 1,727 yards rushing and 27 touchdowns. He accounted for 111 career touchdowns.

Running back (0-1)
(Cam Akers)

Alabama will not turn down Cam Akers, five-star running back from Clinton High School in Mississippi. Akers remains high on Alabama. I can't see him joining the class unless Najee Harris goes elsewhere. Harris returns to Tuscaloosa this weekend for an official visit.

Wide receivers (2), Tight ends (0)
(Henry Ruggs, DeVonta Smith, Nico Collins, Tarik Black, James Robinson)

Ruggs performance has the coaches really turning up the heat. He was never asked to hold off from an August commitment. Someone sent me a screen shot of another reporter saying Ruggs was turned down by Alabama when he tried to commit because Jerry Jeudy announced. False. Alabama was expecting Jeudy, Ruggs and Devonta Smith to all go public with their decision in August.

Alabama really wants Ruggs and Smith in this class. Collins favors Michigan. The staff likes Black and Robinson, but they will wait to see what happens with these others guys before making a stronger push.

Alabama is very happy with the TE class.

Offensive line (0-1)
(Trey Smith, Isaiah Wilson)

Alabama has five OL commitments. UA will not turn down Trey Smith. Isaiah Wilson visits this weekend. Keep an eye on a possible return from Smith.

Defensive tackle (2)
(Javon Kinlaw, Phildarian Mathis, Elijah Conliffe, Aubrey Solomon, Isaiah Buggs)

Someone is going to ask about Marvin Wilson every week. Alabama does not expect him in this class. Bama is trying to focus more on guys who it feels will have a legit chance to sign. Will Wilson visit? Possibly, but the chances of him signing with Alabama remain very slim.

Kinlaw has shot up Alabama's wish list in the last few months. He recently decommitted from South Carolina. Alabama definitely has a shot to land his commitment. Solomon, Mathis and Buggs are all high on the list. Buggs and Solomon will officially visit this weekend.

Defensive ends (1-2)
(LaBryan Ray, Malik Herring, Ryan Johnson)

LaBryan Ray remains Alabama's top target at the position. Alabama remains in excellent shape to sign him. The coaching staff also remains very high on Malik Herring. Ryan Johnson has visited Alabama four times this fall. I know a lot of people believe it's a good sign, but Alabama will need to miss on Ray for Johnson to have a spot.

Linebackers (1-2)
Baron Browning, Jarez Parks, Chris Allen, TD Moultry

This is going to get interesting.....

Browning will announce a decision next week. Lot of talk about Bama right now. Texas was considered early favorite. Now Longhorns are eliminated from contention. Can a new coaching staff change things? Ohio State is definitely in it. Definitely appears as a Bama/Ohio State battle.

Jarez Parks visited Alabama this past weekend. Many believe Alabama is the team to beat.

Chris Allen has been torn between Alabama and LSU for several months.

Alabama has recently turned up the heat on Auburn commitment TD Moultry.

Alabama has an excellent linebacker class, and it's more than likely going to look a lot better.

Cornerback (1-2)
Stanford Samuels, Shaun Wade

Can Alabama flip Samuels from FSU or Wade from Ohio State? UA is working on it. They are also looking around for potential graduate transfers at the position. Wade takes an official visit to Alabama this weekend.

Safeties (1-2)
(Deangelo Gibbs, JaCoby Stevens, Daniel Wright, Xavier McKinney, Todd Harris, Maliek Gray)

There are four safeties Alabama really likes, and consider top targets. Gibbs, McKinney and Wright have officially visited. Stevens is expected to visit this weekend. It's a wait-and-see deal right now. Bama loves all four of those players. All have the ability to commit right now. It looks like Bama wants two at the position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News