ADVERTISEMENT

Cade Phillips

It would be a travesty for the son of John David Phillips and Reagan Croyle Phillips, the nephew of Brodie Croyle, and the grandson of John Croyle to go anywhere but Alabama. Shame on our staff if it's due to not aggressively pursuing him.
I disagree with the statement we're not pushing hard for him. But he seems enamored with Tennessee for some reason.

Reactions: tomg505
It would be a travesty for the son of John David Phillips and Reagan Croyle Phillips, the nephew of Brodie Croyle, and the grandson of John Croyle to go anywhere but Alabama. Shame on our staff if it's due to not aggressively pursuing him.
I did not realize he was John Croyle's grandson. Thanks. If Oates wants him, surely we can land him.

Thanks again.

I read an article yesterday in which Cade was quoted as saying that both the boogs and Tennessee are in more frequent contact with him than we are. That’s a head scratcher.
I read an article yesterday in which Cade was quoted as saying that both the boogs and Tennessee are in more frequent contact with him than we are. That’s a head scratcher.
only reason i can think of is we feel good about sam walters. same height and a better shooter. i think he is visiting bama next month.

If we aren't pushing hard for him then Oats must not feel like it's a good enough fit or the kid just wants to go elsewhere.

Admittedly I haven't dug very deep into his highlights but basically all that I've seen is this kid dunking over shorter kids that couldn't jump high enough to clear a thick phonebook. If he made 50 plays 45 were dunks and 4 were shots within 5 feet of the goal. Does he even shoot outside shots?

Regardless it would sting to lose out on a kid that's potentially SEC quality and is basically a 3rd gen legacy of Bama athletics from both sides of his family.

The last kid from NE AL that we got was also rumored to be going out of state until the last minute. Riley Norris. Its not over until signing day.

Reactions: bet9
only reason i can think of is we feel good about sam walters. same height and a better shooter. i think he is visiting bama next month.
I've seen Walters referred to as "Vanilla Herb", since he has a similar frame to Herb Jones. Phillips is an inch or so taller and 20 pounds heavier. He is also rated higher than Walters in the 24/7 composite rankings. Unfortunately, every prediction that I have seen so far has Phillips going to Tennessee.

Reactions: bet9
If we aren't pushing hard for him then Oats must not feel like it's a good enough fit or the kid just wants to go elsewhere.

Admittedly I haven't dug very deep into his highlights but basically all that I've seen is this kid dunking over shorter kids that couldn't jump high enough to clear a thick phonebook. If he made 50 plays 45 were dunks and 4 were shots within 5 feet of the goal. Does he even shoot outside shots?

Regardless it would sting to lose out on a kid that's potentially SEC quality and is basically a 3rd gen legacy of Bama athletics from both sides of his family.

The last kid from NE AL that we got was also rumored to be going out of state until the last minute. Riley Norris. Its not over until signing day.
This... Definitely watched his highlights and it's literally what you would hope to see from a kid who is 6'9 playing 4a Alabama basketball. Nothing overly impressive, he could definitely have a solid college career. Riley Norris had more impressive high school tape, I don't want him just based on last name. I want this staff to get the kids they truly feel would make them the best team possible, and I truly believe there's no way that's this kid.

Reactions: winin11
This... Definitely watched his highlights and it's literally what you would hope to see from a kid who is 6'9 playing 4a Alabama basketball. Nothing overly impressive, he could definitely have a solid college career. Riley Norris had more impressive high school tape, I don't want him just based on last name. I want this staff to get the kids they truly feel would make them the best team possible, and I truly believe there's no way that's this kid.
You could be right. He's a top 70 player nationally, so those who follow recruiting for a living disagree with you. Rick Barnes, who has a much more impressive resume than Nate Oats, also disagrees with you.

Reactions: Sheerperfection
You could be right. He's a top 70 player nationally, so those who follow recruiting for a living disagree with you. Rick Barnes, who has a much more impressive resume than Nate Oats, also disagrees with you.
I'm not saying he's not a talented basketball player, and I'm not saying he won't be good in college. Just don't see anything in his tape that seems like he would be a great fit in Nate Oats system. I definitely wouldn't be hurt if he committed to Tennessee and not Alabama is all I'm stating. Definitely think Sam Walters is a better fit for us and I think that's what the staff seems to be thinking as well.

If Cade is not bring pressed by Alabama, it's because he's not a good fit for us. I get he's a legacy, but what good is that if he ends up on the pine most of the time. Excellent player, but there's more to it than that.

Or he just fits what Barnes does at tennessee much better than bama’s system.

Reactions: budog and bet9
Or he just fits what Barnes does at tennessee much better than bama’s sustem

Or he just fits what Barnes does at tennessee much better than bama’s sustem
Cade is a much better fit for Oats' system than James Rojas ever was. Maybe he just wants to blaze his own trail rather than be a 3rd generation letterman from his family at UA, and let our staff know that early on in his recruitment. Things seem to have been "cool" between him and us for awhile now.

Reactions: Bhug and lainey2020
Well this sucks. How does this happen? Super Alabama royalty and we can’t get him?

This is a kid who has dropped about thirty spots in the recent recruiting rankings composite. I hope he does well, but my prediction is he doesn’t play much and transfers to a mid-major. No, this is not a big miss.

This is a kid who has dropped about thirty spots in the recent recruiting rankings composite. I hope he does well, but my prediction is he doesn’t play much and transfers to a mid-major. No, this is not a big miss.
Time will tell. I think he’ll be a very good SEC player.

Seen him play? Tennessee thinks he is pretty good.

Based on what?
His skill set. Pretty raw offensively and has dropped significantly in recent rankings. Tennessee has about as opposite a system from Alabama as it gets. I think Grant would’ve gone after this kid pretty hard. I’ve been wrong plenty but I’ll be surprised if he has much success in the SEC.

His skill set. Pretty raw offensively and has dropped significantly in recent rankings. Tennessee has about as opposite a system from Alabama as it gets. I think Grant would’ve gone after this kid pretty hard. I’ve been wrong plenty but I’ll be surprised if he has much success in the SEC.
yea, if you cant shoot we dont need you unless you are 7 foot.

He may be a lottery pick. But we can all agree high school basketball in Alabama hasn’t proved a ton with higher ranked the guys we’ve signed. I’ve watched Phillips and most of what I saw was rebounding and dunking. And generally that’s because he’s bigger than the opposition. I do believe he can play. But what I’ve seen didn’t exactly fit what Oats is probably looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT