ADVERTISEMENT

Chicken Coop like Auburn’s

JMusso72

All American
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2023
Hello, I have redescribed because after 50 years of caring only about Alabama football I’ve became a basketball fan! I see the program at a crossroads where we can build, or go back to a SEC doormat.
Why would we build a 10000 seat chicken Coop like Auburn has when we sold out a 15000 seat Coleman every game this season. Why rush in and build a chicken coop 10000 seat building when we have waited this long for a new building. We are headed into an economic downturn. In a couple of years we will be able to build a 18000 seat building for the same price as a duplicate chicken coop like Auburn. It’s about the future. Do you want to match the blue bloods of Kentucky, or a cowtown like Auburn? It’s about a winning program to sell out any building. Give Oats the budget to go out and hire the best staff is priority at this moment. Maybe with new ideals from some assistant coaches we allow our players to shoot a mid-range jumper like the teams that played in the final game.

Auburn’s basketball atmosphere is 10x better than ours. I’m jealous of their arena.

With that said, I think you can have even a better one with 15k. It’s all about the arrangement of fans and Coleman is the absolute worst at that.

Reactions: pfaud001
if you were in control would you build a little 10000 seat chicken coop? One that you are stuck with for the next 20 years? Or, would you wait for construction cost to go down and build something that would be to Alabama’s standards as leaders of the SEC?

Hello, I have redescribed because after 50 years of caring only about Alabama football I’ve became a basketball fan! I see the program at a crossroads where we can build, or go back to a SEC doormat.
Why would we build a 10000 seat chicken Coop like Auburn has when we sold out a 15000 seat Coleman every game this season. Why rush in and build a chicken coop 10000 seat building when we have waited this long for a new building. We are headed into an economic downturn. In a couple of years we will be able to build a 18000 seat building for the same price as a duplicate chicken coop like Auburn. It’s about the future. Do you want to match the blue bloods of Kentucky, or a cowtown like Auburn? It’s about a winning program to sell out any building. Give Oats the budget to go out and hire the best staff is priority at this moment. Maybe with new ideals from some assistant coaches we allow our players to shoot a mid-range jumper like the teams that played in the final game.
Bama did not sell out every game.

Very True-having the budget to get highest level of assistants is key. NIL seems to be coming along.

if you were in control would you build a little 10000 seat chicken coop? One that you are stuck with for the next 20 years? Or, would you wait for construction cost to go down and build something that would be to Alabama’s standards as leaders of the SEC?
...adding to this line of reasoning is the fact that the campus population continues to grow. Ticket demand is directly correlated to enrollment growth. To reduce seating, IMO, would be counter-productive for long-term planning. While I am not a Coleman hater, it is time for a new facility. When I attended a concert there in 1968, we were amazed at the facility, now it is time to be amazed again with a new structure.

Reactions: bet9
Most fans say a new facility isn’t for the players, but for the fans. What is the ticket prices at these micro facilities? I paid around $60.00 for the LSU game. It was my 1st time at Coleman. I didn’t expect the place to be as nice as it was inside the facility. Coleman was roaring with 15000 fans. I’m for opening the purse to hire the best basketball coaching staff and hang more championship banners from the Coleman ceiling. The extra seats added to Bryant Denny didn’t help win more games. Nick Saban and a highly paid coaching staff is what turned the football program around.

Yeah, I don't get the 10k number. It's a fad now to have a basketball cozy atmosphere that's tiny but full and presumably loud. Good for the barn that they have a size that fits them. But prior to building their current gym it wasn't uncommon for them to not average more than 6 or 7k butts in seats for a season. And that number is probably very optimistic. So for them going to 10k was aiming high. We're trying to aim low and assume it will mean a rowdy and loud atmosphere. It makes no sense when we had games this year that would have filled 20k if we had the seats to sell.

Most of Coleman's problems aren't related to how many seats are there. It's the layout of the seats. It's dug in season ticket holders that have primo seats but act like they're at a wake unless we're playing UK or Au. It's knowing that unless you're below row 25 it will feel so far from sidecourt you might as well be watching from Bryant Drive. So lot of folks don't go unless its a really big game.

I think too many are underselling how many seats Bama basketball could fill for most games. Nov/Dec games will be poorly attended in any year unless there's a big name team in town.

I will maintain that I think our sweet spot is in the 13k to 14k range give or take a few hundred. I also think it needs to be a basketball only arena. If they can shoehorn gymnastics without making the gym feel multipurpose then fair enough.

Reactions: bet9 and rsaxoniii
Yeah, I don't get the 10k number. It's a fad now to have a basketball cozy atmosphere that's tiny but full and presumably loud. Good for the barn that they have a size that fits them. But prior to building their current gym it wasn't uncommon for them to not average more than 6 or 7k butts in seats for a season. And that number is probably very optimistic. So for them going to 10k was aiming high. We're trying to aim low and assume it will mean a rowdy and loud atmosphere. It makes no sense when we had games this year that would have filled 20k if we had the seats to sell.

Most of Coleman's problems aren't related to how many seats are there. It's the layout of the seats. It's dug in season ticket holders that have primo seats but act like they're at a wake unless we're playing UK or Au. It's knowing that unless you're below row 25 it will feel so far from sidecourt you might as well be watching from Bryant Drive. So lot of folks don't go unless its a really big game.

I think too many are underselling how many seats Bama basketball could fill for most games. Nov/Dec games will be poorly attended in any year unless there's a big name team in town.

I will maintain that I think our sweet spot is in the 13k to 14k range give or take a few hundred. I also think it needs to be a basketball only arena. If they can shoehorn gymnastics without making the gym feel multipurpose then fair enough.
The boogs cracker box arena doesn't have a capacity of 10,000. I think it's somewhere around 9,100.

This arena was built in 1969/seats 13400 and hosts the playin game for NCAA / university of Dayton
300px-UD_Arena_First_Four.jpg

Last edited:
images

Simon skojt Assembly hall - Indiana Hoosiers
17222 capacity

Reactions: bet9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT