ADVERTISEMENT

CNO is there anyway we can get out of his buyout?

Agree. Works hard. Recruits hard. It system will not work. 3 pointer is lowest percentage shot but we choose to live by the 3

Agree. Works hard. Recruits hard. It system will not work. 3 pointer is lowest percentage shot but we choose to live by the 3
It’s not the system. The system is getting wide open 3’s. It’s that these players don’t fit the system. They can’t shoot it well enough to play this way and Oats does not have an answer for that.

Sorry but this idea of playing an NBA style…which it is not…with guys who can’t shoot and a coach who has no idea about how to adapt to his team’s talent is a recipe for disaster. It’s time to cut him loose!!

Yeah we didn’t have to win the SEC again this year to continue the momentum from last year but we’re backsliding (shout out to you self righteous folks) so hard this season that recruiting will suffer. Kentucky is just Better and they kinda played like shit and we still got blown out. Happy about the new facilities plan but we’re years away from opening the facility and we’ll fall behind in recruiting by then.

it is the system. Lowest percentage shot
No it’s not. The system got us plenty of wide open 3’s. And if we make them, that ends up getting you more shots at the rim. But when the players can’t make them, it’s good for nothing. But that doesn’t mean the system doesn’t work. If a team has a goal to get open 3’s and gets them, then the system worked. If they miss the open 3’s, then the players didn’t do their part. Percentages don’t tell you whether the system works. The desired shot and then the quality of that shot when you get it tells whether the system works.
Who would you blame if Jameson Williams was wide open deep for a TD every play and Bryce overthrew him every time? You wouldn’t blame the system, you’d blame Bryce or the OC.

Wow, a lot of folks have forgotten how bad it got at times under CAJ and CAG. Don't fire the guy just yet. If we just win games we should down the stretch we'll get a 6 or 7 seed.

I get that people are frustrated but he's still the best coach we've had since Wimp. But he isn't a finished product himself. IMO let him learn from this season and this team and then see where we are in a couple seasons. Said it in the game thread but IMO this has been his hardest coaching job.

Wow, a lot of folks have forgotten how bad it got at times under CAJ and CAG. Don't fire the guy just yet. If we just win games we should down the stretch we'll get a 6 or 7 seed.

I get that people are frustrated but he's still the best coach we've had since Wimp. But he isn't a finished product himself. IMO let him learn from this season and this team and then see where we are in a couple seasons. Said it in the game thread but IMO this has been his hardest coaching job.
It’s really hard to say which games we “should win”. At times Bama is a cellar dweller team and others an NCAA tournament team. Ceiling for this team is a double digit NCAA seed.

Reactions: jtr4dad
This year has been a bit of a letdown, but let's not get crazy. Our best 3 point shooter tore his ACL before the season started. We will be set up to make a run for the SEC again next year depending on one or two players returning.

I was as frustrated as anyone watching , but I need to keep some perspective.

Defensive lapses, turnovers, giving up second chance points—all of that can be overcome if you can put the biscuit in the basket to borrow a hockey phrase.

3-30. If they shoot 10-30 , which is still below average, they win going away and we are fairly happy right now.

Positive shooting regression has to be coming our way.

Sorry but this idea of playing an NBA style…which it is not…with guys who can’t shoot and a coach who has no idea about how to adapt to his team’s talent is a recipe for disaster. It’s time to cut him loose!!
Guess you were not saying that last year, right?

Reactions: AEMotivates
I was as frustrated as anyone watching , but I need to keep some perspective.

Defensive lapses, turnovers, giving up second chance points—all of that can be overcome if you can put the biscuit in the basket to borrow a hockey phrase.

3-30. If they shoot 10-30 , which is still below average, they win going away and we are fairly happy right now.

Positive shooting regression has to be coming our way.
Not this year it is not.

No it’s not. The system got us plenty of wide open 3’s. And if we make them, that ends up getting you more shots at the rim. But when the players can’t make them, it’s good for nothing. But that doesn’t mean the system doesn’t work. If a team has a goal to get open 3’s and gets them, then the system worked. If they miss the open 3’s, then the players didn’t do their part. Percentages don’t tell you whether the system works. The desired shot and then the quality of that shot when you get it tells whether the system works.
Who would you blame if Jameson Williams was wide open deep for a TD every play and Bryce overthrew him every time? You wouldn’t blame the system, you’d blame Bryce or the OC.
Stop doing it do what your capable of

Reactions: stiffdogg37
You proved my point. It’s the lowest percentage shot.

You proved my point. It’s the lowest percentage shot.
You just don’t understand. The system is the system. The system is getting open shots. These players can’t make them. The system isn’t the issue. It’s fine. The issue is the players don’t fit the system. Or the system doesn’t fit the players. But the system is getting what it’s suppose to get, so it’s working.

Weren’t you saying this last year? Then we won the conference, won the tournament, and we were free throws away from going to the elite 8. Stick to golf
How about this year and the year before last year? He had a team full of CAJ recruits last year and road them to great success. We have had another coach get us there…want him back?

A lot of the shots are open. Players aren’t hitting them. Pretty simple. Don’t think it has much to do with the system. It’s a personnel issue.

Reactions: onebamamaniax
How about this year and the year before last year? He had a team full of CAJ recruits last year and road them to great success. We have had another coach get us there…want him back?
Yeah, since Avery got the exact same production out of them. Avery should get all of the credit tbh

Whatever it is it is entirely too much for a glorified HS coach.
Thank you guys for trying to kill our program right as we're getting a new arena. If you get your way, I hope the new arena is never built. It would be wasted on some retread we'll have to settle for who will not improve a thing and very likely turn us back into a joke program.

You guys don't remember the early years of Coach K, or you would be more patient.

Thank you guys for trying to kill our program right as we're getting a new arena. If you get your way, I hope the new arena is never built. It would be wasted on some retread we'll have to settle for who will not improve a thing and very likely turn us back into a joke program.

You guys don't remember the early years of Coach K, or you would be more patient.
Do you really…really believe our opinions are considered when Greg Byrne’s and the powers to be decides whether or not to spend $200 million dollars?

It’s not the system. The system is getting wide open 3’s. It’s that these players don’t fit the system. They can’t shoot it well enough to play this way and Oats does not have an answer for that.
If the system is broken, then I don’t want to fix it.

Bama had 30 good looks at the basket for three point attempts..

if bama makes 6 ( just 4 more 3 pt shots ), then bama wins or has a chance at a win.

These players are broken.

Confidence is shot ; body language is awful and they do not seem mentally tough.

No one steps up. Rojas wants to be the man but he cannot.
Shack and Q were out of it last night

I’ve been saying that for weeks. But it doesn’t mean the system is the issue. The issue is the players don’t fit the system.
I agree with a lot of what you say except your points about how oats needs to adapt the system to his players. Two things:

1. The alternative is a slowed down half court system like a UCLA or Princeton style offense. You wanna watch something painful? Watch this team do that. His system is giving us the best chance to win. Not his fault historically good shooters cannot make wide open threes his system is creating.

2. Three of these guys are statistically 40% or better from three. Also not oats’ fault they mysteriously can’t even shoot at a 30% rate. It’s not like he went out and recruited a bunch of scenario hillman’s and devonta pollards.

When you have players who cannot hit a shot under the basket, and you want to blame the coach? You might be a........

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
oats = malzahn.

the coaching record is a near mirror image. i remember being excited when gus brought an exciting, fast paced offense to auburn. he won the sec in year 1. then people figured his system out and he was unwilling to change.

i understand that oats has a system and it will win games. i also think cutting out all shots besides the ones behind the arc or inside the restricted area handcuffs good and great players. jmo. oats may win a ton and prove that doesn’t matter, but he’s trotting out a team with two 5* guards and several top 100 players and top rated jucos. the only teams with more talent in the sec are kentucky and maybe lsu.

can you imagine oats telling jabari smith he couldn’t do anything but fog up a three or take a shot at the rim? jabari lives at the elbow and takes 14 foot twos all the time. brandon miller has a great shot as well. it’s a shame he won’t get to use it except beyond the arc.

something has to give. either oats will have to change or he’ll continue being gus: married to a system people have figured out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: onebamamaniax
oats = malzahn.

the coaching record is a near mirror image. i remember being excited when gus brought an exciting, fast paced offense to auburn. he won the sec in year 1. then people figured his system out and he was unwilling to change.

i understand that oats has a system and it will win games. i also think cutting out all shots besides the ones behind the arc or inside the restricted area handcuffs good and great players. jmo. oats may win a ton and prove that doesn’t matter, but he’s trotting out a team with two 5* guards and several top 100 players and top rated jucos. the only teams with more talent in the sec are kentucky and maybe lsu.

something has to give. either oats will have to change or he’ll continue being gus: married to a system people have figured out.
This team just isn’t a great team. Bruce hasn’t exactly been steady at the top of college basketball in his tenure at auburn. Pretty Up and down. Oats system will work with good on ball defenders and shooters. This team lacks in both of those areas. The recruiting is very strong and he’ll have a team in the next few years that is good from 3 and plays great defense and it will be a magical year like Auburn has this year.

stupid to draw these conclusion on one season. Primo left early, Burnett tore ACL, Gurley has not been remotely what was expected as a scorer, and JD has been a huge disappointment as it turns out he has no idea how to play basketball. Bama has 2 scorers in JQ and Shack and both are more than capable of a terrible night. It’s just a team that isn’t elite but will be a 5-7 seed in March. That’s great for a down year of Bama bball

We may be expecting too much too soon from our basketball program. In football, we can follow a great year with another great year. We were in a rebuilding year this past season and still made it to the championship game. We are just not there yet with basketball.

To me, the fact that Q has gone from a 40% 3 point shooter to a 20% shooter has been devastating. There has been no one to pick up the slack. Shack and Ellis have had their moments but Rojas, Gurley, and #4 should never shoot a 3 unless the clock is about to expire. Primo could have been the one guy to mitigate some of our shooting woe's. It is my understanding that his loss to the draft was not really expected.

If this is an off season for basketball, i will take it . I still believe in coach N.O. and look for many really good seasons yet to come.

P.S. This should tell us all once again just how great a coach that Nick Saban is. I believe that 2021 was his finest work ever.

This team just isn’t a great team. Bruce hasn’t exactly been steady at the top of college basketball in his tenure at auburn. Pretty Up and down. Oats system will work with good on ball defenders and shooters. This team lacks in both of those areas. The recruiting is very strong and he’ll have a team in the next few years that is good from 3 and plays great defense and it will be a magical year like Auburn has this year.

stupid to draw these conclusion on one season. Primo left early, Burnett tore ACL, Gurley has not been remotely what was expected as a scorer, and JD has been a huge disappointment as it turns out he has no idea how to play basketball. Bama has 2 scorers in JQ and Shack and both are more than capable of a terrible night. It’s just a team that isn’t elite but will be a 5-7 seed in March. That’s great for a down year of Bama bball
bruce has nothing to do with my post. he isn’t even that good.

i agree it’s stupid to draw conclusions on one season. the same applies for last year. i think bama got suckered by having a senior laden team rife with talent that never had to play against a true home court advantage. those away wins last year aren’t so easy this year. bruce has almost lost to both uga and mizzou and he has a top 20 type team this year. neither of those should’ve been close, but away games hit different.

the gist of my post is imagine telling a talent like brandon miller or rylan griffen (who has a great mid range game) thet they can’t use it.

Reactions: tomg505
OK.... let’s go back to Anthony Grant, or Mike Gottfried.

I am among those who question whether Oats’ system is sustainable on an annual basis. It requires shooters, and he doesn’t have them this year.

Every program everywhere is looking for long, mobile, athletic players who can rebound, run, pass, & shoot - tough to load a roster with them.... adding to the uncertainty about the long term viability of Oats’ style.

Still, I’ll gladly take what Oats has gotten done vs his predecessors! A new coach every 3, 4 years is a bad thing. I’d opt to stay with Oats another few years.

Reactions: gossy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT