ADVERTISEMENT

Early enrollee preview: Will Stephon Wynn be Alabama's next big thing?

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
x53qpal5d7qrc1tlfdko

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The months go by and Alabama early enrollee Stephon Wynn Jr. keeps on getting bigger.

Growing up in Anderson S.C. the then 265-pound defensive end grew too big for South Carolina football. During his senior season, Wynn transferred to prestigious IMG Academy to play among the nation’s best high school players. Although, he kept growing there, too.

Now listed at 6-foot-4, 308 pounds he appears to have outgrown the defensive end position. That’s more than welcomed at Alabama as the Crimson Tide hopes the early enrollee is the perfect size to help fill the giant hole in the middle of its defensive line.

“He’s one of those guys that has gotten bigger and bigger,” said Rivals Southeast recruiting analyst Woody Wommack. “I think we started him as a strong-side defensive end at 265 pounds. It’s pretty shocking that he’s over 300 pounds now.”

To put things in perspective, Wynn is the same weight and two inches taller than departing defensive lineman Da’Ron Payne, who started at nose guard for Alabama last season. While no one is expecting the freshman to match Payne’s production, let alone start next season, his muscular build gives Crimson Tide coaches plenty to work with.

Wommack is hesitant about penciling Wynn in for early playing time during his freshman season at Alabama. However, he said with a couple years in Alabama’s program Wynn could grow into his raw potential similar to star defensive lineman Raekwon Davis.

“He’s obviously an SEC-caliber defensive lineman,” Wommack said. “I think the key with him is making sure he’s engaged and not taking plays off and stuff like that. If he’s on edge and ready to play, I can see him working his way into a spot.”

Others feel that path to success could come sooner than expected. With Payne as well as backup Joshua Frazier both gone next season, Alabama has a definite hole in the middle of its defensive line. Redshirt senior Johnny Dwight and redshirt freshman Phidarian Mathis will most likely start the spring above Wynn on the depth chart, but given the young defensive lineman’s rapid growth he could definitely make a push by the start of the season.

“He went from South Carolina competition to IMG competition to Alabama early enrollee. I think he’s a guy who’s physically ready,” said Rivals national recruiting director Mike Farrell. “I think IMG helped him a lot, and I think he’ll be mentally ready, too. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him play early.”

A key component in how soon Wynn sees the field will be his ability to develop under new defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski. Joining Alabama last month, Kuligowski is regarded as one of the top defensive line coaches in the nation. During his previous job as defensive line coach at Miami, he coached All-ACC defensive linemen RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton. Kuligowski also helped mold several NFL talents during his time as a defensive line coach at Missouri, including Charles Harris, Ziggy Hood, Shan Ray, Sheldon Richardson and Aldon Smith.

As an early enrollee, Wynn will have ample time to grow familiar with both Kuligowski and Alabama’s defensive scheme by the time spring camp begins.

“He’s going to be on equal grounds with the other guys that are at camp,” said BamaInsider.com senior recruiting analyst Andrew Bone. “Coach Kool’s going to play the guy that he feels like is most ready to compete. That’s the way it’s always been at Alabama. Ever since Nick Saban has taken over we haven’t seen, ‘OK a senior is going to play over a freshman.’ It’s been whoever is the most ready and whoever understands the defense and put them in the best position to win."

“If Wynn can come in and develop, learn and take the bull by the horns once spring practice starts I think he’ll have a chance to compete.”

If Wynn is able to see action as a freshman he offers the Crimson Tide a capable pass-rusher up the middle. During his senior season at IMG, he tallied 18 tackles with three for a loss over eight games. The year before that at T.L. Hanna High School in South Carolina he registered 77 tackles, 10 for a loss, with 9.5 sacks.

Wynn, the son of former Clemson tight end Stephon Wynn Sr., came to Alabama rated as the No. 108 player overall in the 2018 class.

“What you’ve got there, you’ve got a gap-shooter,” Farrell said. “You’ve got a guy who can split a double team, who can pursue and flush the quarterback but from the interior. For a 300-pound guy, he’s very athletic.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News