ADVERTISEMENT

Gambling in NCCA games

xcop

All American
Gold Member
May 29, 2002
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
A report this morning from Iowa says they have identified 111 athletes and former coaches at Iowa State and Iowa taking part in gambling... 15 active at one of the schools. This is probably the tip of the iceberg. I don't know how they can police this to the point it goes away.

A report this morning from Iowa says they have identified 111 athletes and former coaches at Iowa State and Iowa taking part in gambling... 15 active at one of the schools. This is probably the tip of the iceberg. I don't know how they can police this to the point it goes away.
It's probably not going away. History has shown that if people want to gamble, they will find a way, just like prohibition didn't stop people from drinking. Thanks to NIL, the players have $$$ to gamble with. They will just get someone else to place the bet for them and unlike a recently former Bama coach, they won't be on the phone when the bet is being placed. We will never know how many games have/will be thrown/tainted due to illegal betting by players and coaches.

if players are throwing games, they should go to prison. set an example for the consequences.

if players are throwing games, they should go to prison. set an example for the consequences.

They probably weren't throwing games. Ncaa athletes are banned from gambling in any capacity. They could have put a 1$ down on the over/under for lebron in last night's game and they would have been breaking the rules

Reactions: xcop
It's probably not going away. History has shown that if people want to gamble, they will find a way, just like prohibition didn't stop people from drinking. Thanks to NIL, the players have $$$ to gamble with. They will just get someone else to place the bet for them and unlike a recently former Bama coach, they won't be on the phone when the bet is being placed. We will never know how many games have/will be thrown/tainted due to illegal betting by players and coaches.
Another reason NIL was and is a bad idea. Pandora’s box of abuse trouble.

Reactions: bet9 and Watson_2
Another reason NIL was and is a bad idea. Pandora’s box of abuse trouble.

Are you being serious right now? That's one of the dumbest takes imaginable. Do you blame NIL for Rick Neuhiesel getting fired 20 years ago? "We can't give kids money because they might make a March madness bracket with a 5$ entry fee" GASPPP

Nothing good ever came from gambling.
Same thing with drinking alcohol and smoking, but they are legal in Alabama and gambling is not, unless you are on Indian land ....Drinking alcohol and smoking have killed a lot more people than gambling....

Are you being serious right now? That's one of the dumbest takes imaginable. Do you blame NIL for Rick Neuhiesel getting fired 20 years ago? "We can't give kids money because they might make a March madness bracket with a 5$ entry fee" GASPPP
I am completely serious. Anyone who thinks NIL is a positive development in collegiate Athletics is just ignoring the obvious litany of issues it has already caused.
And it has nothing to do with Rick Neuhiesal.

Dumb take? Not by a long shot. What is it about NIL that you think is so great for the game? Kids getting paid and parents and handlers with their hands out before a kid ever steps on campus?

Please.

Reactions: xcop and Drcohen
I am completely serious. Anyone who thinks NIL is a positive development in collegiate Athletics is just ignoring the obvious litany of issues it has already caused.
And it has nothing to do with Rick Neuhiesal.

Dumb take? Not by a long shot. What is it about NIL that you think is so great for the game? Kids getting paid and parents and handlers with their hands out before a kid ever steps on campus?

Please.

What is it you think that's so great about telling kids they aren't allowed to get paid for their efforts here in America? Why do you think it's a good thing that people are still allowed to run commercials with Tyrone prothro in them and he's still not allowed to make money off them? I have a feeling if someone used a video of you as a marketing campaign for years you'd ask for some compensation

What is it you think that's so great about telling kids they aren't allowed to get paid for their efforts here in America? Why do you think it's a good thing that people are still allowed to run commercials with Tyrone prothro in them and he's still not allowed to make money off them? I have a feeling if someone used a video of you as a marketing campaign for years you'd ask for some compensation
They do get paid. Full scholarship, cost of attendance, Pell grants, tutoring, finest medical and dining facilities on most campuses.
They are student athletes/ not employees.
And I see you conveniently do not address the incredible downside and detriment to intercollegiate sports/ the kids and families holding their hands out before they ever set a foot on campus.
Why do you find all of this acceptable? And please do not hide behind “ capitalism”:

Reactions: Codie B
They do get paid. Full scholarship, cost of attendance, Pell grants, tutoring, finest medical and dining facilities on most campuses.
And I see you conveniently do not address the incredible downside and detriment to intercollegiate sports/ the kids and families holding their hands out before they ever set a foot on campus.
Why do you find all of this acceptable? And please do not hide behind “ capitalism”:

Do you believe college athletes should be allowed to fill out an ncaa tournament bracket? What about make a fantasy football team?
How has NIL changed your answer on that?

Last edited:
I will start by saying that I don’t have a problem with these guys getting paid a little, I do think it has gotten out of control however.

Like you I have never understood the argument that these guys are playing for free. Just not sure how the scholarship and all of those additional benefits that you listed could be mistaken as free. You have to be an extremely large dumb ass or just don’t give a rats ass to not get your degree if you are an athlete because every bit of help one would need to graduate is FREE right in front of them.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

I will start by saying that I don’t have a problem with these guys getting paid a little, I do think it has gotten out of control however.

Like you I have never understood the argument that these guys are playing for free. Just not sure how the scholarship and all of those additional benefits that you listed could be mistaken as free. You have to be an extremely large dumb ass or just don’t give a rats ass to not get your degree if you are an athlete because every bit of help one would need to graduate is FREE right in front of them.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
As someone who use to tutor at Bryant Hall and have had multiple athletes take my classes, I have to agree. The athletic dept will pull out all stops when it comes to education.

As someone who use to tutor at Bryant Hall and have had multiple athletes take my classes, I have to agree. The athletic dept will pull out all stops when it comes to education.

Were you allowed to tell people you were tutor, and were you paid? Without NIL, if an athlete posted on twitter that he had tutoring openings available he'd be breaking the rules. Explain to me how that makes sense

ROLL TIDE!!!!
l heard Wimp say on the radio a few years back when being badgered about his players and their grades. A reporter ask him if he knew what percentage of his players graduated. His answer was 100% of the ones that wanted to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT