ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ Game Thread: Alabama vs. Georgia

You know, I have given this some thought. Oats has never had as much talent as he has had the past couple of seasons. Maybe he just hasn't figured out how to coach players with as much talent or egos as he has right now. That seems a little crazy to me but that thought keeps running through my mind.
I'd say Oats handled last year's talent fairly well. Not blaming Oats and not giving him a pass either but who said this year's TEAM has talent? What we saw from Shack and Q last year was with 2 NBA players and perhaps the best 3 point shooting player ever at Bama. This year they are expected to lead and deliver with Ellis, Gurley, JD, and Gary being complimentary pieces. Have any of those pieces been consistantly complimentary?? I'd say they have provided about 50% of what us fans believed they would do. Just go player by player and tell me who is good? Bryce Young will be the frontrunner for the Heisman next season but if his OL is comprised of 3 freshmen, 1 JUCO, and a transfer from UNA he probably won't reach his potential. I am as pissed as anybody after tonight's performance but at this point in the season we shouldn't really be surprised. This team isn't who we, the fans, thought they were. Not going to call anybody in particular out but you guys can see it with your own eyes. Go player by player and assess them.

He’s a better college coach than Avery Johnson who I imagine you never criticized. Quinerly’s effort speaks for itself and JD remains ridiculously over rated at this point.
You would imagine wrong since I was on this board calling for him to be replaced. I don't think you can get any more critical than that.

Oats has proven only to be a good “system” guy, not a good basketball coach. A good basketball coach can beat you when your “system” isn't working. Oats had an average at best first year. A great year during all the COVID restrictions that we may never know how much it affected other team's. Now he's having a shitty 3rd year. One out of three years doesn't make you a good coach...

Reactions: KJ454 and jtr4dad
They’re not raw. It’s just the opposite. Quinerly is a redshirt junior, Shack is a 3 year starter, Ellis, Gurley, and Rojas are seniors. Gary is a redshirt sophomore. Youth is not an excuse for this team. There’s no leadership, either on the court or on the sideline.
They look raw! But, no leadership like you said!

Alabama basketball always sinks to it’s place of irrelevance. Except for last year. Been this way for 25 years. Just never really changes for very long.
We win the press conference with the hot mid-major coach, tease relevance and then circle back.

Avery took a lot of abuse for losing to Norfolk State, but Oats already has 3 losses that are worse than that. Vanderbilt 2 years ago when they were on about a 30 game conference losing streak, Missouri and Georgia this year. At least that Norfolk State team was good enough to qualify for the post season.
Avery had plenty of bad losses. Remember him blowing a 20 point half time lead at home against Georgia St and Texas A & M.

Reactions: BHMButcher
Avery had plenty of bad losses. Remember him blowing a 20 point half time lead at home against Georgia St and Texas A & M.
I’m pretty sure both of those teams had winning records. Those 3 losses I pointed out were to gosh awful teams.
You would imagine wrong since I was on this board calling for him to be replaced. I don't think you can get any more critical than that.

Oats has proven only to be a good “system” guy, not a good basketball coach. A good basketball coach can beat you when your “system” isn't working. Oats had an average at best first year. A great year during all the COVID restrictions that we may never know how much it affected other team's. Now he's having a shitty 3rd year. One out of three years doesn't make you a good coach...
Oats was 16-15 in his first year, which is a worse record than Johnson had the prior year with the same roster. I’m not debating who is the better coach. They both leave a lot to be desired. I’m just pointing out facts.

We win the press conference with the hot mid-major coach, tease relevance and then circle back.
Yep/ every time. Injuries, early departures and whatever the issue is with the 6’ 10” French kid who apparently is not good enough to even step on the court despite being ranked the 37th best player in nation when he signed. And another so called great player from Alabama high schools sometimes looks like he has never played. ( JD)
This is Alabama basketball

Season is trending bad, I still Ike the direction oats has the program. I love the recruiting class. I don’t want to see our fan base flip on oats. I’m in agreement with a lot of the current criticism regarding this team and his handling of it but I don’t think he is doomed as our coach. This team has a major leadership problem

Biggest problem with oats is he lets games go without timeouts. I think this team could use him stopping play and giving direction. So many times he lets us get behind the 8 ball and just hopes we play out of it and it doesn’t work for this group

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
Yep/ every time. Injuries, early departures and whatever the issue is with the 6’ 10” French kid who apparently is not good enough to even step on the court despite being ranked the 37th best player in nation when he signed. And another so called great player from Alabama high schools sometimes looks like he has never played. ( JD)
I sure wish we had some of those “overrated” Alabama high school players like Jones, Petty, and Reese on this years team. Oats was a lot better coach when he had those homegrown Johnson recruits.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
Season is trending bad, I still Ike the direction oats has the program. I love the recruiting class. I don’t want to see our fan base flip on oats. I’m in agreement with a lot of the current criticism regarding this team and his handling of it but I don’t think he is doomed as our coach. This team has a major leadership problem
Yes on all counts. I'm not a fan of this style of play but it will bring the better recruits in. As long as we win. We probably would have a couple of more wins if Burnett was not injured.

I sure wish we had some of those “overrated” Alabama high school players like Jones, Petty, and Reese on this years team. Oats was a lot better coach when he had those homegrown Johnson recruits.
Alabama high school basketball is terrible. Reese/ good lord. Guy could not get 6 inches off the ground.

Yes on all counts. I'm not a fan of this style of play but it will bring the better recruits in. As long as we win. We probably would have a couple of more wins if Burnett was not injured.
I just think this team has become a head case and is simply choking. It’s not a complete roster at all and we definitely lack a couple shooters but this team plays so tight and can’t find it in themselves to simply bring it without pause on defense

Next years team could look completely different and have a completely different set of issues while being great at things we suck at this year. You have to find the right place mentally to have sustained success for an entire basketball season and I think this team felt the pressure and is actively wilting away under it

The only Baller on this team right now is a white guy with little or no experience coming off the bench for a minute or so. I have nothing further to say! It speaks for itself.

Barn is ranked # 1 and has already been to a Final Four. Teams like South Carolina, LSU and Miss St have also been there.
But not Bama/ and I doubt I will ever live to see this program take that step. Just seems pre ordained to never happen.

Reactions: KJ454
I think the world has caught up with the run and gun, and he does not have the players to run a half court offense.

Reactions: HOUNDZTOOTH1
I think the world has caught up with the run and gun, and he does not have the players to run a half court offense.
Barn is ranked # 1 and has already been to a Final Four. Teams like South Carolina, LSU and Miss St have also been there.
But not Bama/ and I doubt I will ever live to see this program take that step. Just seems pre ordained to never happen.
I think oats can get us there. Shoot when auburn went they had slumped in sec play and went in as a 5 seed, barely squeezed by NM State, then caught fire. SC barely got in the year they went too. I think we will consistently make the dance and play a style that can catch fire. I don’t see it this year but with the right group of players all it takes is peaking at the right time

Reactions: Codie B
Radio guys kept talking up Georgia and how they've played everyone close... but this was a BAD loss. An inexcusable loss. The kind of loss that takes you from one side of the bubble to the wrong side of the bubble.

Fouls and free throws killed us. Dawgs were 24-30 from the line so they were gifted 24 points. They helped us the last two games when we were at home. We have to play through that on the road where you won't get many calls.

We're beat up right now too so that's some salt in a wound that's going to really sting in the next 3 games.

Seriously, unless we're hitting about 15 3 point shots in each of the next 3 games they'll all be blood baths.

Losing this game tonight basically means we HAVE to win every remaining game we're supposed to win just so the Dec wins can matter enough to get us in the tournament. We could easily lose any of our remaining games the way we're playing right now. Lose 4 in a row and that trip to Oxford Miss will look like the most must win game we've had in two years.

Something broke in this team between Gonzaga and Memphis. I've thought since SEC play got rolling that something is off with this team. You don't play walkons in the first half just because they're trying hard in practice.

You know, I have given this some thought. Oats has never had as much talent as he has had the past couple of seasons. Maybe he just hasn't figured out how to coach players with as much talent or egos as he has right now. That seems a little crazy to me but that thought keeps running through my mind.
Talent? Lol Please show me where sll this damn talent is? No pure shooters, no high flyers, no D and 3 guys, cant hit free throws, and no big strong guys that box out!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣😂

Radio guys kept talking up Georgia and how they've played everyone close... but this was a BAD loss. An inexcusable loss. The kind of loss that takes you from one side of the bubble to the wrong side of the bubble.

Fouls and free throws killed us. Dawgs were 24-30 from the line so they were gifted 24 points. They helped us the last two games when we were at home. We have to play through that on the road where you won't get many calls.

We're beat up right now too so that's some salt in a wound that's going to really sting in the next 3 games.

Seriously, unless we're hitting about 15 3 point shots in each of the next 3 games they'll all be blood baths.

Losing this game tonight basically means we HAVE to win every remaining game we're supposed to win just so the Dec wins can matter enough to get us in the tournament. We could easily lose any of our remaining games the way we're playing right now. Lose 4 in a row and that trip to Oxford Miss will look like the most must win game we've had in two years.

Something broke in this team between Gonzaga and Memphis. I've thought since SEC play got rolling that something is off with this team. You don't play walkons in the first half just because they're trying hard in practice.
Georgia had played no one close the last 5-6 games except a 5 point loss at hone to a bad Vandy team. Blown out by 23 against a bad South Carolina team. Lost by 16 to Miss St and blown out by Auburn. Also lost at home to Gardner Webb. Pathetic loss.

Uhg, I got suckered in on this team and now ugly again. Oats got to coach them out of this to regain team and program momentum. They seem lost now.

Talent? Lol Please show me where sll this damn talent is? No pure shooters, no high flyers, no D and 3 guys, cant hit free throws, and no big strong guys that box out!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣😂
If this team spent as much time practicing and learning all that you mentioned as they do on their perfecting their "Hair Styles" we might see some progress. We got a "PRETTY" starting lineup! No "BALLERS" except the one white guy who playing time does not even equate to breaking a sweat.

Reactions: jmillerbama
If this team spent as much time practicing and learning all that you mentioned as they do on their perfecting their "Hair Styles" we might see some progress. We got a "PRETTY" starting lineup! No "BALLERS" except the one white guy who playing time does not even equate to breaking a sweat.
Not sure I would categorize Britton Johnson as a baller compared to the others. He’s done a couple nice things on the court and I wouldn’t mind seeing him get some more run, but he’s like 0-6 from three.

Reactions: jtr4dad
Not sure I would categorize Britton Johnson as a baller compared to the others. He’s done a couple nice things on the court and I wouldn’t mind seeing him get some more run, but he’s like 0-6 from three.
Yes he is not.lighting up the scoreboard but he does bust it defensively with his hussle.

I can only imagine how bad Frenchie must be if he can't steal minutes from Bediako.

Losing to Bama is going to cost Gonzaga a 1 seed. Its gonna end up being a bad loss.
I think we did enough in the non-conference to avoid it being a "bad loss" for Gonzaga. Realistically I see us finishing anywhere between 16-15 to 18-13, and given the fact we have the #1 strength of schedule it may even be enough to get us in the tournament with a 16-15 record and a win in the SEC tourney. I think 17 or 18 wins guarantees a tournament bid, especially if any of those wins come against Baylor, barn, or UK.

No leadership on this team at all. They looked completely dysfunctional tonight at times. Herb and JP are missed terribly. Sad product we are seeing on the floor right now.
Herb and JP played their 4 years and are gone. Other programs lose players and do not have “ leadership” issues.
There is no doubt Primo leaving early and Burnett being hurt changed the season before it started. I stated such in September. A 6’5”’ and a 6’6” guard to play perimeter defense. But there is no excuse for the lack of effort we are witnessing at times.

Herb and JP played their 4 years and are gone. Other programs lose players and do not have “ leadership” issues.
There is no doubt Primo leaving early and Burnett being hurt changed the season before it started. I stated such in September. A 6’5”’ and a 6’6” guard to play perimeter defense. But there is no excuse for the lack of effort we are witnessing at times.
I just can't buy the if Burnett wasn't hurt excuse. The guy played in 12 games last year playing 18 minutes per game and averaged 5.3 points, 1.8 rebounds, and .9 assists. He may very well have lit it up this year, but you could just easily say it wouldn't have made much of a difference. There are plenty of other 6'5 or 6'6 guys that should be able to fill that role on defense.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Did you see the video he posted of the full court one on one drill? Looks legit to me. There’s something going on. Not buying that he’s not good enough
Did not see that. Just bizarre to have a 6’10” guy who was a top 40 player 2 years ago contributing nothing. Either he was extremely over rated, is still hurt ( doubtful) or like you said there is something else going on with him and Oates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT