ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread: No. 10 Alabama vs. Davidson

Nate Oats is getting paid a lot of money. It’s easy to get a team up to play a top 5 team, this is where he should be earning his money. This is also why no one takes Alabama basketball seriously…

Still not understanding not running sets. We need a half court offense bad. Defense just not what it was last year to bail us out this year. Gotta be able to get open shots from sets

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
This Fn bullshit! I said it last week! No Leadership! Cant make a damn free throw! And defense is Fn trash!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: BigET84
This team definitely has a lot of issues right now… soft on the boards, bad perimeter defense, and inconsistent guard play. They better figure it out or it’s going to be a brutal SEC schedule.

You can’t just keep playing bad and say “well that’s basketball.” 3 horse shit performances in a row heading into conference play
Yeah, I know I’ve been one that said this is basketball and sometimes things don’t fall for you. But this team has some real issues right now. I think Oats has done a poor job of not letting them get the big head after the Gonzaga win, that’s on him.

Reactions: tydzbk and jtr4dad
Team chemistry off. Bad perimeter defense. Not mentally tough. This is what I predicted for non-conference schedule (9-3) but not these teams I thought we would lose too.

How many people would take 9-3 heading into conference play with the schedule we had though?… I know they’re is major concern but it could be worse.

Reactions: adsmith4
Teams better hurry if they want snag a ranked win versus Alabama.. won’t be ranked long. Look about 4/5 best team in the sec right now

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
Not gonna say too much after what we did last year but its going 3 years with poor free throw shooting and no half court game. Plus him saying preseason that they didnt do anything in the off season to improve free throws really shows
I also have a problem with the fact he has an athletic 7 footer and before the season he said they will not be running plays for him. That he would have to get his baskets off effort plays.

You have a legit 7 footer which is a matchup problem for most teams in CBB and you don’t have a least a couple plays to get an easy basket or two in the half court.

Reactions: BigET84
Would think the 7 footer could rebound some too… but Dern
Yea I agree a few plays for the big guy would be nice. Wish Gary was the 7 footer. Dude would dominate. Another thing we have to have happen is JD shooting the ball from the outside. He’s got to shoot it or develop that shot bc teams have begun to play off of him at the perimeter bc he won’t shoot it.

I also have a problem with the fact he has an athletic 7 footer and before the season he said they will not be running plays for him. That he would have to get his baskets off effort plays.

You have a legit 7 footer which is a matchup problem for most teams in CBB and you don’t have a least a couple plays to get an easy basket or two in the half court.
I didn't know that. That's sad and not a sound practice. Davidson utilized the hell out of their bigs, and so did Memphis, and so did J. State. I don't see the same intensity and a will to win as I did against Gonzaga. JQ misses the back end of his FTs and he attitude appeared to be, "oh well."

I didn't know that. That's sad and not a sound practice. Davidson utilized the hell out of their bigs, and so did Memphis, and so did J. State. I don't see the same intensity and a will to win as I did against Gonzaga. JQ misses the back end of his FTs and he attitude appeared to be, "oh well."
They’re nonchalant as hell. Like they are bored

There is no reason why JD should only be shooting 4 times a game. He needs to be much more aggressive. Let him find a groove shooting. He won’t get in a rhythm shooting 4 times. That’s just baffling

Many people have already said it…Bama’s defense was not locked in at all and Davidson often made them look silly.

Couple that with some key guys having off shooting nights and it creates an “L”.

Shack gave up a lot of open looks only to drive to the basket, which was usually blocked by two or three defenders. Shooters gotta keep shooting. Gurly gotta QUIT SHOOTING!

Reactions: TideFan35
Would think the 7 footer could rebound some too… but Dern
Yea I agree a few plays for the big guy would be nice. Wish Gary was the 7 footer. Dude would dominate. Another thing we have to have happen is JD shooting the ball from the outside. He’s got to shoot it or develop that shot bc teams have begun to play off of him at the perimeter bc he won’t shoot it.
Hard for him to rebound when most teams take their big to the perimeter to set screens. So our guys gotta follow. Hard for him to get o bounds cuz only offense we run is 4 along the 3 point line and 10 bouncing around setting screens

I enjoyed watching Davidson play. They play fundamental team basketball. Lots of motion and screens, patient, and good shooters. I am sorry that we lost, but it was easy to see this coming. We played mostly as individuals, and they played as a team.

We miss Herb Jones’ toughness and leadership. We seem to lack both of these traits. The team lives by the 3 and die by the 3. When the 3 pointers aren’t going in and the other team is playing aggressive defense we don’t have an offensive strategy. I had hoped that the Memphis and JSU games opened their eyes how it is to live with a target on their backs, but that doesn’t seem the case. I haven’t given up on them, but someone needs to step up and lead this team.

Alabama was a 9 point favorite for a reason. No excuses…
This is not football. I know-expectations went through the roof after wins over Gonzaga and Houston. But problem is on D - 92 points allowed vs Memphis and Davidson shoots 54%. That is a problem.

Reactions: adsmith4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT