ADVERTISEMENT

Its not Pearl, Calapira, or Barnes

but Eric Musselman is the best basketball coach in the SEC.
He's right there for sure. I've said for a while I like the way they play. The thread showing the shot chart for them confirmed what I thought; they use the entire floor. They take and make that mid-range shot which makes them more efficient IMO. Plus he mixes it up on defense depending on who they are playing or how the game is going.

Reactions: StablerCountry
He's right there for sure. I've said for a while I like the way they play. The thread showing the shot chart for them confirmed what I thought; they use the entire floor. They take and make that mid-range shot which makes them more efficient IMO. Plus he mixes it up on defense depending on who they are playing or how the game is going.
Got to agree with you. Starting to happen quite often lately.

Looking back its pretty clear that a bunch of our group were on the Musselman bandwagon in 2019 when we were looking (link). I have been really pleased with CNO and don't take his success so far for granted. Still, I think he has proven the Musselman crowd correct (he has done this with basically 2 good players in Williams and Notae and some other random guys), although I had some doubts when he pulled the no shirt postgame stuff...that felt too much like an embarrassing Harbaugh stunt.

On another point, I think it was shown that Gonzaga was a paper tiger this year...Timme is a good, and Holmgren is a unique talent, but their guards are not good good enough and failed them again against Ark, much like they did against Bama.

Last edited:
There is this one guy who won a regular season sec championship, a sec tournament championship, went to the tournament in back to back seasons as a 2 and 6 seed, and has a sweet 16 appearance with an overtime loss away from the elite 8. None of the guys mentioned above have that in the last two seasons. Good grief…

He is a coach whose teams improve throughout the season. Right now he should be up there with the best.
In terms of achievements, if he makes it to the final four or further, he would be in the conversation .

Cal has won a championship though

Brilliant thoughts considering Arkansas is inefficient as shit on offense.

There is this one guy who won a regular season sec championship, a sec tournament championship, went to the tournament in back to back seasons as a 2 and 6 seed, and has a sweet 16 appearance with an overtime loss away from the elite 8. None of the guys mentioned above have that in the last two seasons. Good grief…
I'm an Oats fan, but just playing devil's advocate, I think Musselman would have been equally successful if he had Herb and company last year.

Reactions: cola68 and bet9
Musselman has coached at numerous levels since he was 24 yo. He has been successful in some and average in others. I think he is a good coach and may have found his niche at Arky. CNO has coached at the collegiate level for 7 years. In those 7 years he has taken his teams to 5 big dances. I think he is still evolving and will tweak his style as he progresses. He can recruit, and coach different types of players. I like his scheduling as difficult as it was. The SEC is tough and there are good coaches all over. I’m glad CNO is ours.

Brilliant thoughts considering Arkansas is inefficient as shit on offense.
I'm not an analysis nerd; what I see when I watch them is a team that uses the entire floor, which forces you to defend the entire floor. If they were a team that jacks up a bunch of 3s, they would be watching like the rest of us, not in their 2nd straight Elite Eight...

I like Oates and I also think he needs to make some staff changes. This years team basically fell apart for the most part as a team playing together to a team playing as individuals. From the defensive end they transgressed and we were just plain not physically tough. Oates was lucky last year and caught Lightening in a bottle and make a run that we all were expecting again this year. But he became arrogant along with most of the team and they got humbled and even he later admitted the arrogant had to be dealt with. We will never know if the injuries players would have helped and they certainly will not know now because they are in the Portal.
Oates appears to have a pretty good bunch coming in and it will be interesting if he can reset the team to playing good fundamental defense and skill wise improve from good coaching or get a coaching staff that will.

I'll wait until 2024 before rendering a verdict on Oats. I have low expectations for next season's squad due to newbies, unless he can strike gold through the portal. It's a mystery why this past season's squad took us on a roller coaster ride. Regardless of reasons why, the buck always stops at the HC's desk. Lets see if he can right the ship this upcoming season.
RTR!!!

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Musselman seems like a fun coach to play for too. He took the team to ride the trolley cars in San Francisco and took them to see Niagara Falls last year. In the locker room, it was obvious that the players love him.

I'm not an analysis nerd; what I see when I watch them is a team that uses the entire floor, which forces you to defend the entire floor. If they were a team that jacks up a bunch of 3s, they would be watching like the rest of us, not in their 2nd straight Elite Eight...
They are an elite of elite defensive team. They suck on offense

btw 7/25 from 3 last night. 38% total from the floor. Worse vs New Mexico State when they mustered up like 52 points.

other shit wins basketball games other than the mid range shot. But…. “Fvck the stats I see what I see” pretty much tells me all I need to know

Last edited:
Reactions: therealsquid
He’s definitely top 3 at worst. That’s consecutive Elite 8 appearances. Arkansas hired him the same year we hired Oats. Byrne may live to regret that decision, if he isn’t already.
And this guy defends Kristi Curry. Somebody tells this idiot our AD does not regret hiring Oats. Jesus.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
He finished fourth in the SEC and got blown out in first round of conference tournament. Plays Vermont and New Mexico St in tourney and then Gonzaga has their worst shooting night this year ( wide open looks missed all night).
Pump the breaks.

With all the positives we could mention about Arkansas, offensive efficiency… not one of em

I'll wait until 2024 before rendering a verdict on Oats. I have low expectations for next season's squad due to newbies, unless he can strike gold through the portal. It's a mystery why this past season's squad took us on a roller coaster ride. Regardless of reasons why, the buck always stops at the HC's desk. Lets see if he can right the ship this upcoming season.
RTR!!!
By “right the ship” you mean continuing to do what no one has done for Bama hoops in 3 decades?

Reactions: pfaud001
They are an elite of elite defensive team. They suck on offense

btw 7/25 from 3 last night. 38% total from the floor. Worse vs New Mexico State when they mustered up like 52 points.

other shit wins basketball games other than the mid range shot. But…. “Fvck the stats I see what I see” pretty much tells me all I need to know
48th in scoring offense this year. 132nd in scoring defenses.

So yeah, fück the stats. They're for nerds, basketball players and coaches WIN games.

The dumbest shit I heard on the radio was that Oats has people run him the analytics during timeouts. He depends far too much on that bullshit than coaching the game.

Reactions: jtr4dad
48th in scoring offense this year. 132nd in scoring defenses.

So yeah, fück the stats. They're for nerds, basketball players and coaches WIN games.

The dumbest shit I heard on the radio was that Oats has people run him the analytics during timeouts. He depends far too much on that bullshit than coaching the game.
Yea oats is awful

You only have to be as good as the other team on the day that you play - not every day. Arkansas is getting it done when it counts. Musselman has Arkansas ready to play.

Yea oats is awful
I swear, some of you are as emotional as a female during that time of the month. No one said Oats was awful, he's not close to being great but he's not awful. Hell this thread wasn't even about him to begin with, yet here we are, dropping him into a conversation he doesn't belong.

I swear, some of you are as emotional as a female during that time of the month. No one said Oats was awful, he's not close to being great but he's not awful. Hell this thread wasn't even about him to begin with, yet here we are, dropping him into a conversation he doesn't belong.
That would be your boy jtr4dad. Eeyore drops in every thread regardless of topic with the doom and gloom bullshit

He finished fourth in the SEC and got blown out in first round of conference tournament. Plays Vermont and New Mexico St in tourney and then Gonzaga has their worst shooting night this year ( wide open looks missed all night).
Pump the breaks.
Back to back Elite Eight. We have been knocked out of the tourney by an 11 seed that had to play the Play-In game both years.

Back to back Elite Eight. We have been knocked out of the tourney by an 11 seed that had to play the Play-In game both years.
You’re right here, and this year we definitely should have won, but UCLA last year was not an 11 seed caliber team. Same roster as this year and they may make a second straight final 4.

anyway, it’s hard as hell to win in the tournament no matter who you play. They have been fortunate on their opponents though until Gonzaga and they showed out. I mean last year they had to knock out oral roberts to get to the elite 8.

One of which went to the final four. Kind of discredit yourself when you’re so obviously biased
What DaFuq are you talking about? Are you saying the only thing that matters is a Final Four? You can’t seriously be trying to downplay getting to an Elite Eight.

• Haha
Reactions: therealsquid
What DaFuq are you talking about? Are you saying the only thing that matters is a Final Four? You can’t seriously be trying to downplay getting to an Elite Eight.
Oy vey...I believe what he is saying is one of the 11 seeds we lost to made the Final Four so clearly, they were a very good team where you seemed to imply we lost to just run-of-the-mill 11 seeds. I don't see anywhere that he is implying much less stating that Final Fours are all that matters.

Oy vey...I believe what he is saying is one of the 11 seeds we lost to made the Final Four so clearly, they were a very good team where you seemed to imply we lost to just run-of-the-mill 11 seeds. I don't see anywhere that he is implying much less stating that Final Fours are all that matters.
He did reply to me after I said Arkansas have made back-to-back Elite Eights.
He’s saying ucla wasn’t exactly the equivalent of getting knocked out by saint peters
No doubt UCLA got hot, Alabama helped in that. You’re still the favorite as a 2 seed one year and as a 6 seed the next. In both game he lost the coaching matchup.

No doubt UCLA got hot, Alabama helped in that. You’re still the favorite as a 2 seed one year and as a 6 seed the next. In both game he lost the coaching matchup.
What percent of games would you say the loser gets out coached?

Just curious,did #1 seed Michigan help them? Did Howard get outcoached?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT