ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Shackelford News

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Jaden Shackelford is entering the transfer portal while keeping his name in the NBA Draft for the time being. This has been the rumor for a couple weeks and it turned out to be true. Expect Shack to look to move closer to home on the west coast.

Any idea where we look to fill the roster spot? Any transfers? Or maybe get a dude to reclassify?

It may work out well for him (i hope it does)... and i have no idea what off court reasons may have him wanting to move closer to home... but some of these kids are gonna learn that a team where you have an established role and a double digit scorer might actually be as green as the grass gets.

That leaves us with 11 scholarship players available since Rojas is out with a knee injury. Holt is thought to be at least a year away from being a major contributor, and Tchikou is coming off a major injury. Ambrose-Hylton and Miles played very sparingly last year. Hopefully they've stepped up their games significantly or what was potentially the deepest team we've ever had may only go 7 or 8 deep.

His dad had a lot to do with this decision. Supposedly him and Oats never gelled and of course any parent wants their kid closer to home.
The dad and oats or jaden and oats never gelled?

His dad had a lot to do with this decision. Supposedly him and Oats never gelled and of course any parent wants their kid closer to home.
Shack didn’t get along with Oats? Or Shack’s dad didn’t get along with Oats? Also have you heard any names that are possibilities to transfer? They will need another shooter. Tough to play just 4 guys in 3 guard spots…JQ, JD, Burnett, and Keon Ellis are 4 good ones but having another shooter coming off the bench would be better.

Shack didn’t get along with Oats? Or Shack’s dad didn’t get along with Oats? Also have you heard any names that are possibilities to transfer? They will need another shooter. Tough to play just 4 guys in 3 guard spots…JQ, JD, Burnett, and Keon Ellis are 4 good ones but having another shooter coming off the bench would be better.
“In theory” Holt can really shoot. I say that, because I have been told, in the past, how certain players can really shoot, and then when they get here I just don’t see it. From what I have read, Holt needs to get physically stronger to be a real contributor this year. Let’s hope he can do that.

They will likely go after Marcus Carr who is the best available transfer in the portal since pulling his name from the NBA Draft. There will be multiple guys like that that will withdraw from the draft and transfer.

That leaves us with 11 scholarship players available since Rojas is out with a knee injury. Holt is thought to be at least a year away from being a major contributor, and Tchikou is coming off a major injury. Ambrose-Hylton and Miles played very sparingly last year. Hopefully they've stepped up their games significantly or what was potentially the deepest team we've ever had may only go 7 or 8 deep.
I thought about this last night. We really need Alex T to be up and ready to play on the BB court by no later than the end of July imop. He is going to need a good 3 months to get into BB shape, and have his legs under him. I read somewhere(?) that Rojas still may be able to play close to the 1st part of the season. I do not know if that is true, but we have Gary, Gurley, Bediako, Ambrose, and hopefully Alex T, so we should be fine with big men. Plus, I think Miles could play some 4 if he had too. We need Holt and/or Miles to be ready to play at a good level so we can have 5 backcourt players that we can count on.

Reactions: sipsey37
I thought about this last night. We really need Alex T to be up and ready to play on the BB court by no later than the end of July imop. He is going to need a good 3 months to get into BB shape, and have his legs under him. I read somewhere(?) that Rojas still may be able to play close to the 1st part of the season. I do not know if that is true, but we have Gary, Gurley, Bediako, Ambrose, and hopefully Alex T, so we should be fine with big men. Plus, I think Miles could play some 4 if he had too. We need Holt and/or Miles to be ready to play at a good level so we can have 5 backcourt players that we can count on.
Rojas may be available by the start of SEC play, but I don't see him having much of an impact. He probably wasn't gonna see much action anyway, and it'll take him awhile to get back into playing shape. I agree that we need more than 4 quality players in the backcourt. Hoping Miles steps up.

Harper, thanks for all the great info as always! So I am going to address this from two perspectives. 1. If he wants to move closer to home let him leave. No one is guaranteed minutes on this team and that includes him. Competition and Coach Oats decides who plays, not parents!
2. Who in the hell tells this kid he is ready for the NBA? He couldn't start on last years team and he would not have started on this year's team if he had stayed. He is small, weak and couldn't guard my 90 year old grandfather! He is a perfect example of what is wrong with basketball today. He doesn’t hustle on defense and only wants to spot up for 3 pointers. Who in their right mind thinks this frail ass kid could even make a NBA roster? Maybe John Petty told him he could? The kid may be a good kid, but bad parents are ruining the good kids that won't stand up for themselves. The best thing that can happen for the guys that want to be part of a "team" is to get rid of this kid and anyone else like him. Remember Coach Oats didn't recruit him originally. And I won't say the name of the individual that did. But "he" recruited a bunch of selfish basketball players and I will be glad when they are ALL gone! Please support Coach Oats and this team. He is doing it the right way and they players playing for him will all be better men because they played for him.

Harper, thanks for all the great info as always! So I am going to address this from two perspectives. 1. If he wants to move closer to home let him leave. No one is guaranteed minutes on this team and that includes him. Competition and Coach Oats decides who plays, not parents!
2. Who in the hell tells this kid he is ready for the NBA? He couldn't start on last years team and he would not have started on this year's team if he had stayed. He is small, weak and couldn't guard my 90 year old grandfather! He is a perfect example of what is wrong with basketball today. He doesn’t hustle on defense and only wants to spot up for 3 pointers. Who in their right mind thinks this frail ass kid could even make a NBA roster? Maybe John Petty told him he could? The kid may be a good kid, but bad parents are ruining the good kids that won't stand up for themselves. The best thing that can happen for the guys that want to be part of a "team" is to get rid of this kid and anyone else like him. Remember Coach Oats didn't recruit him originally. And I won't say the name of the individual that did. But "he" recruited a bunch of selfish basketball players and I will be glad when they are ALL gone! Please support Coach Oats and this team. He is doing it the right way and they players playing for him will all be better men because they played for him.
You didn't watch Bama basketball last year I guess! He started 32 of 33 games. He lead the tide in scoring. He carried Bama in a few games. Was a second team pick in the SEC. Not really sure why your trying to down the guy. Is he a nba draft pick probably not but that guy gave his all for alabama the last 2 years.

You didn't watch Bama basketball last year I guess! He started 32 of 33 games. He lead the tide in scoring. He carried Bama in a few games. Was a second team pick in the SEC. Not really sure why your trying to down the guy. Is he a nba draft pick probably not but that guy gave his all for alabama the last 2 years.
All is very true. Played his heart out. But with new blood coming in, he could see reduced role and minutes. With portal we are going to continue it.

Reactions: onebamamaniax
Okay this one ranks right up there with the worst post ever. You've been banned from posting for a while. I don't get bashing Petty and Shaq? Two guys that played their tails of for Bama. What's the point???

Okay this one ranks right up there with the worst post ever. You've been banned from posting for a while. I don't get bashing Petty and Shaq? Two guys that played their tails of for Bama. What's the point???
You don't get banned for posting the truth. If you don't understand basketball well enough to see the truth then go back to football. The point is to make people like you aware of what is wrong with basketball and what a great job Coach Oats is doing in spite of these type circumstances.

All is very true. Played his heart out. But with new blood coming in, he could see reduced role and minutes. With portal we are going to continue it.
His all around game does not warrant any consideration for the NBA.

You don't get banned for posting the truth. If you don't understand basketball well enough to see the truth then go back to football. The point is to make people like you aware of what is wrong with basketball and what a great job Coach Oats is doing in spite of these type circumstances.

Claiming that shack wasn't a starter last year is not the truth though

Claiming that shack wasn't a starter last year is not the truth though
Because he started in certain situations could be looked at as being a starter. He was not a playerer that started the nose games when you look at the top players on the team. Again his only real college level skill is his spotting up beyond the 3 point line. When Bama played man to man he was a liability. The NBA is a man against man type league. At the end of the day they can play zone but weak players get exploited because of their match ups in the zone.
This is an honest assessment of his abilities not a personal attack. It's fine to be a fan of your school. But I choose to evaluate players first and be a fan second.

Reactions: GOBAMA100
Those "selfish" basketball players recruited by our former coach (Gary, Jones, Petty, Reese, Shack) were the heart and soul of our SEC championship team last year. Their leadership and commitment to our program should be commended. I'm grateful for every one of them.

interesting take. these selfish players and their wanting starting minutes! how dare they?!

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
Shack started all but one game last year and was the teams leading scorer. at 6'3" he plays beyond his ability and the fact that he is an excellent shooter gives his a possibility of making an NBA roster. He is to small to play shooting guard in the NBA and is never going to be a PG. If you want a guy that is going to give 100% every play it is Shackelford.

He is going to be a big loss next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT