ADVERTISEMENT

JD still one and done?

jd82tide

All American
Dec 21, 2012
Montgomery
No. That’s the post. Just no. Talent, athleticism, jumping ability, ceiling, potential, all words thrown out when people say he’ll be a first round draft pick. If that’s the best the NBA can do, pretty sad. May take him a few more years to catch up to the speed of the college game. He was two time Mr. Basketball but came from a small school and may need a few years against elite competition. I love the kid and his energy. He’s got that Bryce Young look like nothing bothers him which I like. Has to develop a consistent outside shot and keep cutting down on turnovers. I hope tonight is the night he busts out but basketball skill wise he looks a few years away. At least Primo proved he could knock down some threes with consistency and I didn’t think he was close to ready.

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
I don't think so. However, he could still go to the developmental league or Europe and get paid before the NBA. Sometimes players get drafted just on potential.
Hope some of these young bucks look at Herb and see how raw he was early on and how polished he was when he left. Looking good in the league because he actually had the skill set to compete right away.

Reactions: vegas man and toee
Some of you can’t separate the fact that yes he has a long way to go as a player and “will the nba draft him top 15 after this year?” His weaknesses are pretty obvious right now and I don’t think any draft projections are just blind to those weaknesses. You just have to understand the nba sees the frame and athletic ability and knows it can make it work long term. They want the highest ceilings not the most skilled at this moment. If that were the case Davidson would have 4 guys in the lottery

The unfortunate thing for bama is we are getting JD way closer to his floor than we anticipated. We only get glimpses of what he is capable of

Reactions: AirBoozehound
I feel like he’ll drop enough jaws at NBA tryouts to get a first round grade, despite his current inefficiencies.

Reactions: frazor
At the moment he's playing his way out of being rated high enough for this coming draft. Sure the NBA drafts on potential but right now he isn't even comfortable dribbling the ball in traffic and he isn't big enough to slide down to a 3 until he gets it sorted out. Like the only thing he's good at is a two man pick and roll bit and getting to the rim when he can clearly see it.

That being said, he could figure it out at the end of the regular season and play on fire in the post season and end up a top 20 pick. But he's got to get over hesitating so much with the ball and then turning it over anyway.

Reactions: jd82tide
I wish coach would let him loose. At times he has looked amazing, but he is playing extremely conservative. Maybe that will change.

I don’t think it’s oats that’s holding him back… I think it’s JD
100%. His wheels seem to be spinning on the court. He’s not playing with instincts. Just tentative, idk how else to describe it. I know what it’s like to play a sport and be unsure about what to do and that’s what it looks like JD is going through. If it ever clicks we will become a whole different team

Reactions: bet9 and Jbone100
Top 10 draft pick easy. JD will be an all-star in the NBA. NBA scouts are drooling over his talent. Don't be surprised if he moves up towards the middle of the top 10, after the combine and workouts. He's a Ja Morant/ Russel Westbrook clone. To much talent to pass up.

• Haha
Reactions: bet9 and jd82tide
Basketball players don’t take that long to develop for the pros if they have tools already. Football players take longer.

Top 10 draft pick easy. JD will be an all-star in the NBA. NBA scouts are drooling over his talent. Don't be surprised if he moves up towards the middle of the top 10, after the combine and workouts. He's a Ja Morant/ Russel Westbrook clone. To much talent to pass up.
I will bet you a 12 pack of your favorite beer he’s not a top ten pick and I hope I have to pay you. He’s borderline bad right now.

I have been told definitively that he will be gone no matter what. Some teams have already been scouting him in the lottery and top 20 who have said if he is there, then they'll take him.

Reactions: onebamamaniax
Not going to bash the young man. Does he need more time to develop into a good->great PG at Bama? Absolutely. Will he likely show out at the combine and go first round? Probably so.
Given the O that Oats wants to run I'm not sure why you sign a one and done kid who can't/won't go to the rim. I am sure he was impressive against 2A Derby County High school but unless he can somehow develop a good deal more speed I'm not sure he is the future for Bama at PG. I would love to have him on this team as an upperclassman but it seems so much of what Oats wants to do is predicated on the guy bringing the ball up the court being able to penetrate and disrupt opposing D (Lewis, Jones, JQ).

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
I have been told definitively that he will be gone no matter what. Some teams have already been scouting him in the lottery and top 20 who have said if he is there, then they'll take him.
Cool. I’ll bet you a 12 pack too he won’t be top 10. He’s so far from good right now it’s scary. I hope the kid averages 20/10 the next 15-20 games and gets picked ahead of jabarny smith. I’d love to buy y’all some beer.

I will bet you a 12 pack of your favorite beer he’s not a top ten pick and I hope I have to pay you. He’s borderline bad right now.
Yeah he looked bad tonight. Most people just believe the talent is there. Maybe coming from a small school it's taking him time to adjust. His confidence in his shot is just not there. He shot the ball with confidence in high school. Give me lottery and it's a bet??

Yeah he looked bad tonight. Most people just believe the talent is there. Maybe coming from a small school it's taking him time to adjust. His confidence in his shot is just not there. He shot the ball with confidence in high school. Give me lottery and it's a bet??
Sure it’s a win win. I want him to do well and like buying beer for fellow Bama fans. You can find me at jdavis@wsfa.com if I’m not in here. RTR either way. Abita Strawberry is my jam!!!

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
Then the NBA is not what it used to be. I know- draft on potential. But I think your post is somewhat of a exaggeration.
I saw Morant play in person about 5 times in college- JD is no Morant clone. That is comical.

He has looked bad 5 out of last 6 games.

Then the NBA is not what it used to be. I know- draft on potential. But I think your post is somewhat of a exaggeration.
I saw Morant play in person about 5 times in college- JD is no Morant clone. That is comical.
I mean nowhere close to Kira, Sexton, Morant, Shariffe Cooper. Those guys could take over games. He’s a role player to give guys a few minutes to rest up right now. Hope that changes but he’s a turnover machine who can’t and won’t shoot 3s. HS Film was against 2A opponents in Alabama. This is elite stuff here. He can be great for sure but it’s a ways off.

Y’all remember what Ja did to Bama’s squad with several future pros on it….he flat out torched Bama that game with a 38/5/8 stat line and posterized some of our guys, include Hall, along the way. That guy is crazy good and was then too.

Reactions: adsmith4
Let's pump the breaks on the Morant/Westbrook comparisons. He's not even a top 5 player in the SEC, so doesn't deserve comparison to the best in the NBA.

Y’all remember what Ja did to Bama’s squad with several future pros on it….he flat out torched Bama that game with a 38/5/8 stat line and posterized some of our guys, include Hall, along the way. That guy is crazy good and was then too.
Yep/ was sitting on row 2 behind the basket that night.

Let's pump the breaks on the Morant/Westbrook comparisons. He's not even a top 5 player in the SEC, so doesn't deserve comparison to the best in the NBA.
Currently not a top 35 player in the SEC. The one and dones have ruined the quality of play in college basketball. Best teams from 25-35 years ago would destroy the best teams of today.

Reactions: Codie B
I don't watch the NBA anymore. Just kind of lost interest after the late 90s. Could just be my age. I'd watch all the time during the Jordan, Barkley, Bird, Mailman, Isaiah Thomas, Magic, etc. Always had some Bama guys to cheer for with McKey, Buck Johnson, Benoit, Hollywood, Spree, McDyess, Horry, Askins, Caffey, etc... Can't really peg why I stopped watching, hell maybe it was the lack of Bama players to cheer for, but it just seems so watered down and soft now. Maybe its just me being old but really loved having kids have to stay two years in college. Most stayed 3 or 4. My 21 year old son loves it so maybe I'm just old, but never get tired of college hoops and March Madness.

I don't watch the NBA anymore.
Nor do I. I know they are the greatest ballers in the world but today's NBA just feels like the Harlem Globetrotters. Both teams show up, put on a show, get paid, then go hang out afterwards. I heard that last night the Sixers scored 47 points in a quarter. How can any team playing one ounce of defense give up 47 in a quarter? Welcome to the show.

Basketball players don’t take that long to develop for the pros if they have tools already. Football players take longer.
The kid cannot seem to shoot. And that doesn't improve over night. It will take a lot of time to become a consistent outside shooter. The teams in the NBA would force him to shoot the outside jumper.

I don't see it. Last year with Primo I could look at him and say I believe he'll be the highest drafted player on our team. Now I didn't expect him to leave after one year, but you could see it. I don't see it yet from JD.

The kid cannot seem to shoot. And that doesn't improve over night. It will take a lot of time to become a consistent outside shooter. The teams in the NBA would force him to shoot the outside jumper.
Like I said earlier if he wants to leave he can go to D-league or Europe. His shot should develop more over the summer. Of course a lot depends on extra work he will probably put in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I just want him to be an above average college player. A guard who can't shoot outside and turns the ball over when dribbling, is not a recipe for the NBA, the G League or even the SEC right now. I know he has it in him, just gotta get some confidence and let the game slow down.

I cringe when JD and Bediako are on the floor at the same time. You have 2 players that aren't providing much offensively, other than turning the ball over regularly. It's almost like we're playing 3 on 7 when we're on offense.

Now I think both of them have tremendous upside, but Bediako needs to improve physically & JD needs to get comfortable playing against higher level of competition.

Reactions: jd82tide
I don't watch the NBA anymore. Just kind of lost interest after the late 90s. Could just be my age. I'd watch all the time during the Jordan, Barkley, Bird, Mailman, Isaiah Thomas, Magic, etc. Always had some Bama guys to cheer for with McKey, Buck Johnson, Benoit, Hollywood, Spree, McDyess, Horry, Askins, Caffey, etc... Can't really peg why I stopped watching, hell maybe it was the lack of Bama players to cheer for, but it just seems so watered down and soft now. Maybe its just me being old but really loved having kids have to stay two years in college. Most stayed 3 or 4. My 21 year old son loves it so maybe I'm just old, but never get tired of college hoops and March Madness.
Believe it or not, you just described me in a nutshell. I feel the same way. I haven't watched an NBA game in over 20+ years. Dr. J, Earl "the Pearl" Monroe, and Walt Clyde Frazer, will always be my personal favorite NBA players.

I don't see it. Last year with Primo I could look at him and say I believe he'll be the highest drafted player on our team. Now I didn't expect him to leave after one year, but you could see it. I don't see it yet from JD.
Agreed. And Primo was 6-6 and had already developed a really nice outside shot; especially behind the arc. He just needed to work on taking defenders off the dribble. But having an outside shot makes this so much easier.

100%. His wheels seem to be spinning on the court. He’s not playing with instincts. Just tentative, idk how else to describe it. I know what it’s like to play a sport and be unsure about what to do and that’s what it looks like JD is going through. If it ever clicks we will become a whole different team
Disagreed. It's not Oats. It's 100% JD. He needs to play and stop overthinking things

This program really needs him, Bediako, and Holt to stay together for another year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT