ADVERTISEMENT

John Petty

He may leave the biggest hole ever at Bama but I just don't see it. I know there are a lot of little things that he does that we take for granted but I am pretty sure I have heard at least 15 commentators this season marvel how "one of Bama's best shooters appears to be having an off night."

He seems to be hurt. Hopefully he recovers and plays well in the tournament! Hope so for his future!

Reactions: bamakay
Had he not been pulled late in the 2nd, we may have lost the game. Taking the ball away from him won us the game.
He won the hard hat award? He didn't even shoot a three in the second half and still was our third leading scorer. He guarded the he'll out of Gist when we needed stops and led us on the boards. He didn't make the three and was uncharacteristically awful at the foul line but he needs to be in the game. He just needs to relax and keep firing them up.

You don't let the other team see that you are frustrated. His fits of frustration after he missed free throws was appalling. Oats needs to talk with him about that.

Reactions: bama100
He won the hard hat award? He didn't even shoot a three in the second half and still was our third leading scorer. He guarded the he'll out of Gist when we needed stops and led us on the boards. He didn't make the three and was uncharacteristically awful at the foul line but he needs to be in the game. He just needs to relax and keep firing them up.
Well when you take a majority of the shots and free throws you’re likely to hit a coupe. Which is exactly why he scored some

3-13 fg with most being layups.
4 TO
3/8 FT
He did block a couple shots and got some rebounds but he wasn’t even hitting the rim from the perimeter

Last edited:
He has been in a slump for a while.. last several games.

he is not a weak link on defense which is his only strength right now.

Oats is definitely not going to quit playing him. Petty will start and play a lot. He can be a turnover waiting to happen when he gets careless but the guy had a career worst offense game and still played his ass off on defense and won the hard hat award this game. Not to mention he’s a key senior leader. I do think his struggles got in his head today and that was his main problem. We’ve all seen what he can do when he gets going. It’s like Oats said, he’s just putting too much pressure on himself. He’s just gotta shoot himself out of this slump.

Well when you take a majority of the shots and free throws you’re likely to hit a coupe. Which is exactly why he scored some

3-13 fg with most being layups.
4 TO
3/8 FT
He did block a couple shots and got some rebounds but he wasn’t even hitting the rim from the perimeter
Do you sit a guy who plays excellent defense and can rebound who has the ability to score 20-30 points? He is also a leader the team looks up to. He was definitely loose with the ball, but Herb had more turnovers than Petty.

I am not trying to sugarcoat it because he played poorly on offense. I just don’t know how you can want the kid who gives his heart and soul out there to not play.

Do you sit a guy who plays excellent defense and can rebound who has the ability to score 20-30 points? He is also a leader the team looks up to. He was definitely loose with the ball, but Herb had more turnovers than Petty.

I am not trying to sugarcoat it because he played poorly on offense. I just don’t know how you can want the kid who gives his heart and soul out there to not play.
Ability ?

yes you sit the guy when he plays like he did today. Not saying don’t start him Monday, but you can’t just let him continue to take shots when he’s an obvious liability on offense

Reactions: johnberoset
Ability ?

yes you sit the guy when he plays like he did today. Not saying don’t start him Monday, but you can’t just let him continue to take shots when he’s an obvious liability on offense
Ok, that is what I thought you were saying. I still don’t mind him playing today even with the bad offense. He will have to shoot his way out of it, and in my opinion, Petty playing well proivides us the best chance to make a Final Four.

He still played well on defense; but he needs to stop forcing bad shots. Drive and dish or back down a smaller guard and dish when they collapse on you.

He is not playing well ... no one knows that more than him. He is not the first player who has gone through a slump ... in 2 games last week a player went 2 for 11 and 1 for 8 from behind the arc ... Steph Curry.

Hoping Petty finds his confidence and shot ... we will need it. I am impressed by the improvement in his defense this year .... MUCH better than last year,

Last week I commented to a friend ... I think our team can win it all but that we could also lose early. We need to shoot and handle the ball better in future games ... the defense will be there but every team we play going forward will have more offensive firepower than IONA. jmo.

More concerning than Petty's shooting is turnovers at the start of the game. I'd bench whoever it takes to fix that. Gotta get Quinerly in earlier.

Reactions: 1959
I am CONFIDENT CNS has told Nate to read this site with his morning coffee so he can learn who to play and when.

Me I think CNO is doing a DAMN GOOD job .... trying to remember the last time ANYONE had us picked to go to the Final 4 ... it is a HUGE STEP to be mentioned in that rare air ... I wonder how many recruits across the country are saying " I need to check out BAMA" and then saying " WOW he has confidence to let his guys come off the bench and PLAY" ... many teams bring guys in to hold the fort Nate brings em in to PLAY no hand cuffs.

If Petty can get out of the slump and get hot, Bama can make a deep run. Herb, JQ, Reese, Ellis, Shack and Gary playing some good ball. Need Petty and Burner to heat up.

Maryland can pop some threes too. Gotta get hotter on shooting threes and FT’s.

Can’t help but feel bad for him.... he’s playing his ass off. But “head case” is accurate. He is absolutely lost mentally on offense

It was very hard to watch JP yesterday, when he got confused on whether to dunk it or lay it in and then nearly broke himself in half on the floor, that was peak head case! I felt horrible for him, almost like basketball isn't the 1st thing on his mind during the game, hopefully everything is OK in his personal life...

I worry about lackadaisical passes and a bad handle than I do Petty's shot.

I believe his shot will come and he only needs to hit two in a row totally disrupt the opponent's defense, as they know if he gets going it could be...
Rewatched the game last night. Not seeing the reason for all the hate on JP.

He has not been shooting well, But his defence has been really good and he has been solid for us rebounding wise

Ballhandling wise, he is who he is. It will likely never be a strength of his game. I just want him to continue to hustle and help us on the glass and defensively. Alabama was plus 12 by the way when Petty was in the game

I also like the fact that we got him some shots in the paint. Wish we would use him several times a game in the post especially when he has a shorter guard on him

I worry about lackadaisical passes and a bad handle than I do Petty's shot.

I believe his shot will come and he only needs to hit two in a row totally disrupt the opponent's defense, as they know if he gets going it could be...

Agreed on his passing and loose handle. I feel like every game he has three truly horrible passes where I yell some expletive combined with his name. I think most of us have assumed this would improve, but obviously it's not.

When he hit his first three in rhythm I thought "here we go" and that we would blow Iona out of the water. Then thud after thud and it was a much tighter game than it needed to be. I have felt like Petty is the X factor for this team and the potential difference between bowing out in 2nd round/Sweet 16 and a Final four run.

But now I think if he plays hard D, and some of the others get their 3-ball going (particularly Shack and Quinerly), we can make a run.

Petty has always been streaky and I sure hope there is a big game for him in this tournament. He's been a good player for us for the most part and seems like a good guy.

Reactions: pfaud001
It was very hard to watch JP yesterday, when he got confused on whether to dunk it or lay it in and then nearly broke himself in half on the floor, that was peak head case! I felt horrible for him, almost like basketball isn't the 1st thing on his mind during the game, hopefully everything is OK in his personal life...
Personally, NOT confused it appeared to me that he got kicked in the heel by the guy chasing him... and the resultant no foul call is what upset him.

Take a look @ about 17:15 [2nd half]

Reactions: cola68 and winin11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT