ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Gary enters portal

giphy.gif

I am not happy about this one.

I don't cuss, but if I did this would have caused me to let a few choice words fly. I can certainly understand his frustrations, as I think he should have logged a lot more playing time than he did. For Rojas' minutes to increase while Gary's decreased as the season progressed was on of the biggest head scratchers in a season full of them. Gary may have been my favorite player. If everyone on our team played with the heart that he did we would have had a much more successful season. I wish him well and will be cheering for him at his next stop.

We're barely ahead of LSU now for lowest number of returning players for next season. Assuming JD is gone, we're down to just 4, and one of them missed the entire season due to injury.

Reactions: GOBAMA100
I think Gary’s shoulder has continued to bother him and he was never close to 100% on his ankle this year… and also shattered his face which was extra salt in the wound for sure. I’ll miss his effort and feel like he was a completely different player pre shoulder injury in 2021. Wish him the best for sure

Outlook for next years roster
Currently planned to return
1. Charles Bediako C
2. Nimari Burnett G
3. Noah Gurley F
4. Darius Miles G/F

I’m 100% sure the top 3 are here next year. Feel good about Miles now. I thought either him or Gary would leave. Truthfully in a similar role, Miles is the better system fit, but has to play smarter and with consistent energy. I love Miles potential, he’s just a pretty immature kid. I think he has grown up a lot and will continue to do so.

Cruits
5. Brandon Miller G/F
6. Jaden Bradley PG
7. Rylan Griffen G
8. Nick Pringle F/C
9. Isaiah Clowney F

Miller is a day 1 starter and could be the perfect fit for oats as he can play 1-4. depending on our portal luck, Bradley will either start or be a very strong backup PG. I also expect Griffen to earn a spot deeper in the rotation as our 8,9 guy. I think Pringle and Clowney will have to compete pretty hard for minutes, but I think 1 of them will have a role at some level.

transfer portal, Ton of potential, and I think we need to land a couple guys that come in and pan out for us as starters/top end rotation guys. We are involved with a lot of exciting options. I love our chances with Bridges and Sears. I’d like to also see us land another big in the portal like Broome or Stephens.

one major improvement for next years team will be overall length. That was definitely an issue this year and We will be long next year. Can’t wait to see how the roster fills out. If we do well in the portal it’s going to be a battle for PT, which is a great problem

Last edited:
Not surprising. Echoing others but IMO Gary struggled to find a place this season. Being hurt didn't help but it looked like they were trying to ask him to play outside as much as inside and he probably needs to live around the rim alongside a good center that can rim protect while he just works the glass.

Again, this isn't surprising that so many are leaving. Is it up to 10 now? Two months ago I couldn't help thinking there might not be 3 players back off that team.

Something was just very wrong with the team this season and the portal is going to allow Oats to put the roster through a one year spin cycle by encouraging guys to leave that he doesn't want or won't play anyway and recruiting the portal. Something you couldn't do just a few off seasons ago.

Get used to it. The new normal for college basketball will be revolving portal doors that never stop spinning. It will be true for most programs that push for the best team every year vs the 3 to 4 year build cycle most programs once had to go through.

The trick is will Oats get it right this time in how he builds the team? He has to find at least 9 or 10 that fit what he wants physically and mentally.

Reactions: RollTide15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT