ADVERTISEMENT

Late January Team Nuggets...

kyle h

All American
Staff
Feb 3, 2005
giphy.gif

Dropping some late January team nuggets and we begin with...

Butch Jones will visit with 5-star Alabama signee Trey Sanders tomorrow. This is interesting as few if anyone has reported that Jones is on the road recruiting for Alabama. So it looks like Jones will be part of this staff after all?

Well, not so fast my friends...

Current Alabama running backs coach Joe Pannunzio is expected to take a job with the Philadelphia Eagles. If that happens, Alabama will slide new Alabama assistant coach Charles Huff to coach the running backs. If Pannunzio sticks around and things fall through with the Eagles, Huff will coach the receivers, and Pannunzio will continue to coach the running backs.

If Pannunzio leaves and Huff is moved to coach the running backs, Alabama will hire a new receivers coach (Holmon Wiggins/Virginia Tech WR Coach will interview this week) and once Alabama hires a new receivers coach Butch Jones will not have a spot.

If Jones is not one of the 10th assistant coaches, expect him to stay on staff this season with an off the field role. A source tells me that Nick Saban really enjoys having Jones around because of his high level of attention to detail.

I know a lot of you have asked about Lance Taylor. Look, I know he was interviewed, not once, but twice by Alabama. I heard that he did not interview well. Maybe the second interview went better, but that is all I know about the situation.

New receivers coach candidate Holmon Wiggins

Wiggins will interview this week at Alabama and he looks to be a strong candidate for the receivers coach. Wiggins has been the receivers coach at Virginia Tech since 2016 and also coached the receivers at Memphis from 2012-15. In college, he was a three-year starter at New Mexico from 1998-2001 rushing for 1,833-yards.

Switching to the defense...

A source tells me that Coach Craig Kuligowski has been told to look elsewhere and that confirms what we heard in the previous 30-days regarding Coach Kool who coaches the defensive line at Alabama.

If Coach Kuligowski exits, a name to keep a close eye on is....

Freddie Roach

5c465ff4320dc-Freddie%20Roach.jpg

Bo Davis Update

5c47152cd03b1-Bo%20Davis.jpg

Have an evening nugget for you. You’re going to like this one.... Remember how I said Freddie Roach is a name to know, we’ll I had another source tell me that Saban wants to bring back Bo Davis. Saban wants Davis coaching the D-line plain and simple. From the Detriot Lions website: Davis’ coaching career includes 10 total seasons as a member of Nick Saban’s coaching staffs at Alabama (2007-10, 2014-15) and LSU (2002-05).

Lastly

I got another nugget on three assistant coaches which might clear up if coaches were leaving on their own or if Saban was making moves. A source told me last night that Saban asked: Brent Key, Tosh Lupoi, and Craig Kuligowski to start looking elsewhere before the Auburn game.

ICYMI: Recruiting with Andrew Bone

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News