ADVERTISEMENT

LES MILES to PURDUE: reports he will take SARK and LOCKSLEY from Alabama

timberland1111

All American
Jan 2, 2012
this is interesting...I don't know if Sark wants to go with Les to Purdue.. or Locksley for that matter...

Source: If Les Miles lands Purdue job, he wants to bring Sark

• 6_3452309.jpg
(Photo: Derick E. Hingle , USA TODAY Sports)

Former LSU coach Les Miles and Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck remain the focal points of Purdue’s ongoing coaching search, multiple industry sources.

Miles, one source says, is telling potential employers including Purdue that he intends to bring current Alabama offensive analysts Steve Sarkisian and Mike Locksley to serve on his offensive staff. One source told that under Miles' sales pitch, Sarkisian, the former USC head coach, would serve as Miles’ principal play-caller while Locksley, the former New Mexico head coach, would likely serve as a run-game coordinator.

Sarkisian coached QBs at USC from 2005 through 2008, working as the offensive coordinator the final two seasons of that span. He was head coach for five seasons at Washington, then jumped back to USC, which fired him in the fall of 2015. He joined Nick Saban's staff in September; many saw that move as insurance for Saban should current OC Lane Kiffin leave for a head coaching job after this season. Kiffin and Sarkisian coached together at USC.

The 63-year-old Miles has been criticized for not adapting offensively, something that directly led to his dismissal at LSU despite a 114-34 record and the 2007 national title. Since being fired, Miles has told several reporters that he is aggressively seeking people to help him advance his offense. However, a source on Thursday that some administrators are still skeptical that Miles will be able to relinquish full control of the offense.

“His background is on that side of the ball,” the source said. “You’re telling me that if it’s third-and-6, he’s not going to step in and make the call? I have a hard time believing that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.