ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Alabama v Mercer

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
I would have posted last night, but my phone died when I was leaving the arena last night.

You could tell it has been 10 days since the last team Alabama played, and Key hasn't played all year. It was sloppy, uncoordinated, and dysfunctional in the first half. Honestly, UA was lucky to be down 4 after shooting 1-16 from 3. Donta single handily kept the Tide in the game on both ends. Mercer played well offensively and kept Aalabama off balance all half.

Second half was a lot better flow offensively and better defense. Sexton starting taking over and being very aggressive. Kudos to Alex Reese as he made some big 3s and had two big blocks to keep UA within striking distance when Mercer started extending their lead. Reese has a good chance to be the backup 4 in the rotation if he can just knock down a couple threes a game and rebound. The final 15 seconds was some of the worst basketball I've ever seen in situational moments. Petty should've just held the ball and that sequence would've never happened. You hold the ball and force them to foul you with 6 seconds. That's the growing pains you go through with freshmen though. A wins a win.

I've stated multiple times that Donta Hall will be drafted next year, and you could see his NBA potential last night. Put back dunks, incredible blocks, and he is as quick off the floor as I have ever seen. He will be drafted and possibly in the first round if he keeps this up.

Alabama takes on Texas this Friday in Birmingham. Texas is not playing well without their leading scorer, but quite honestly neither is Alabama. Expect them to be ready to play, but this is a must win. Buckle Up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News