ADVERTISEMENT

NIL destroying the game

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
Assuming that there is no more turnover for Tide Basketball, it is safe to assume that we will only have three players back from the SEC Title team. In spite of that fact, Alabama has five incoming Freshmen and at least three portal transfers for next season. We lost three probable starters to the Transfer portal and one to the NBA draft that probably made an ill advised decision to leave. While the three portal transfers, to date, will probably ease the pain, we will definitely not be as good as last year at four positions.

There is probably no question that the Transfer Portal and NIL cost Alabama starters at three positions. I have absolutely no idea how coaches recruit in the future, with NIL and the transfer portal, as when you are recruiting in the summer, you have absolutely no idea what you will need to replace in April. All I can say is get use to the situation, as some University is going to be recruiting the best players on your team every spring. The other Universities will be coming with bags of money and enticements for your best players.

I definitely do not blame the players at the present time. "G" League does not pay as much as Arkansas. If you go after someone else's players with money, you present talent is going to be pissed. If you don't adequately compensate your present talent, you are going to lose the talent. I think it is safe to say that in the future you will have to pay a talented player, at least $100k a year, the first year, or you will never get the player.

Assuming that there is no more turnover for Tide Basketball, it is safe to assume that we will only have three players back from the SEC Title team. In spite of that fact, Alabama has five incoming Freshmen and at least three portal transfers for next season. We lost three probable starters to the Transfer portal and one to the NBA draft that probably made an ill advised decision to leave. While the three portal transfers, to date, will probably ease the pain, we will definitely not be as good as last year at four positions.

There is probably no question that the Transfer Portal and NIL cost Alabama starters at three positions. I have absolutely no idea how coaches recruit in the future, with NIL and the transfer portal, as when you are recruiting in the summer, you have absolutely no idea what you will need to replace in April. All I can say is get use to the situation, as some University is going to be recruiting the best players on your team every spring. The other Universities will be coming with bags of money and enticements for your best players.

I definitely do not blame the players at the present time. "G" League does not pay as much as Arkansas. If you go after someone else's players with money, you present talent is going to be pissed. If you don't adequately compensate your present talent, you are going to lose the talent. I think it is safe to say that in the future you will have to pay a talented player, at least $100k a year, the first year, or you will never get the player.
Yep/ great for the game, is it not?

@G.O.A.T-23

Students are not yet employees/ so no. Then tax the damn scholarship and see how they like that.

The schools make the rules and delayed in making a rule on NIL so they got burned, the responsibility lies directly with the schools.
Also other students are allowed and encouraged to earn money. Why are some students allowed to earn a paycheck but Bryce Young isn't?

The schools make the rules and delayed in making a rule on NIL so they got burned, the responsibility lies directly with the schools.
Also other students are allowed and encouraged to earn money. Why are some students allowed to earn a paycheck but Bryce Young isn't?
Students not on full scholarship? Sure. But not paid just to sign with a school/ and that is the pandora box that has evolved like many of us warned about. And paying kids to transfer/ highest bidder.

Well at least we don't have to wait 2-4 years to be good again when we lose the majority of the team.

I'm not going to complain untill Oats is bad at this game...so far, he looking
If we have a competitive team this year after Oats losing his whole staff and all the surprises on the transfer portal it will show that oats is as good a manager as the goat next door.

Students not on full scholarship? Sure. But not paid just to sign with a school/ and that is the pandora box that has evolved like many of us warned about. And paying kids to transfer/ highest bidder.
The money is just too great to not give the kid's a taste. However, taking a NIL deal should come with some form of a commitment greater than 4 months. I hate it as much as the next guy but how do you think the staff at UAB or MTSU feels? You're 100% using your efforts and resources to develop kids for other programs.

Students that are on full scholarship are also encouraged to use their skills to make money.

Any player getting "big money" via NIL should not be on scholarship. They can well-afford to pay their own way. Receiving NIL money and a scholly is double-dipping.
“ Double Dipping” has always been the goal. From the very start.

“ Double Dipping” has always been the goal. From the very start.
Take away the scholarship limit. If we gonna have Wild West then there shouldn’t be any rules put on coaches. Open practice 365 days a year. Full time recruiting 365 days a year. If we gonna pay you then you will earn your money while your here. One other thing you can have as many assistants as you can afford. No restrictions or rules from the NCAA.

Reactions: Codie B
Any player getting "big money" via NIL should not be on scholarship. They can well-afford to pay their own way. Receiving NIL money and a scholly is double-dipping.
I agree. Good ideal! If it’s not about a free education a NIL player should be considered a walk on.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT