ADVERTISEMENT

Question of the day: Who is Alabama’s next breakout star on defense?

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
BamaInsider is looking to bring the discussion surrounding Alabama football to the fans. During our new daily feature, we’ll be tackling one question concerning the Crimson Tide while also allowing you the fans to give your take.

Saturday we saw a change in Alabama’s first-team defense as Christian Harris slotted in at Will linebacker during the team’s second scrimmage. The freshman could be one of a few new faces for the Crimson Tide’s defense at it looks to replace several key positions from last season.

Reloading on defense is nothing new for Alabama. Quinnen Williams’ breakout season last year is a prime example of that. While the Crimson Tide has the necessary talent to fill its holes this season, it will be interesting to see who the next breakout Alabama defender will be.

Today's Question — Who is Alabama’s next breakout star on defense?

Kyle Henderson: For me, I feel that LaBryan Ray is ready for a breakout season. In 2018 he was an effective pass rusher, and during the spring he again showed that he is close to becoming one of the best defensive linemen in the SEC. I'm not sure how healthy he'll be for the opener against Duke, but once he's 100 percent healed following an ankle injury he suffered over the summer, Alabama's defense will greatly benefit from his on-the-field presence.

Tony Tsoukalas: I’ll stick on the defensive line but go with D.J. Dale. The freshman nose guard already burst onto the scene this spring as he earned a spot between Ray and Raekwon Davis on Alabama’s first-team defense. Dale lost close to 25 pounds over the summer and is now listed at 6-foot-3, 308 pounds. The new weight should allow him to play with more agility while still maintaining the power he showed in the spring. He should also be able to take advantage of teams double-teaming Davis much the way Williams did last season.

What's your take?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News