ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Loss Against San Diego St

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Absolutely crushing defeat. This was arguably my favorite team to ever watch at Alabama, just because of what this team had to face and always rose up to the challenge. This loss doesn't take away the fact they swept the SEC and had the best season in program history. With that said, it's arguably the most disappointing and frustrating finish to a season in program history. To have the #1 overall seed and lose like that with the path they had is tough to swallow.

Alabama was up 9 with 11 minutes to go and it seemed like Alabama was going to run away with it. SDSU called a timeout and then went on a 12-0 to take a 3 point lead. Alabama never led after that. SDSU is a veteran, physical team that never gave up and really pounded Alabama late in that game. Given, Alabama went 3-27 from 3 and shot 32% overall and having some really good looks for the most part. It's just a disappointing finish after fighting back to take a big lead. Brandon Miller's disappointing tournament run comes to an end shooting below 20% overall. You can't say it was injury, but that's the worst I have seen him all year for a stretch.

Not much else to say, but what an incredible season with a sour ending. Alabama will lose Miller, Clowney, JQ, and Gurley and bring in a solid recruiting class with potentially 2 transfer portal guys. It'll still be a solid season next year, but this team needs to add consistent shot makers. Preferably at the wing position. I will be updating the roster situation and portal contacts, but it's been an incredible run we got to watch this year. A lot better than those bubble/NIT years!

I knew this game would be the biggest roadblock to a final 4. Oates teams struggle against teams that can slow down the pace. Combine that with inconsistent 3 point shooting and I knew this would be a difficult ask. What made this team so good was the ability to defend and rebound. They did neither of those things in the final 10 minutes.

Fun season though. Miller is a generational talent a lot like Bryce Young. Every bounce has to go your way to win it all. I fully expect Creighton to beat sdsu rather easily (unless of course Princeton pulls off a miracle tonight). They can shoot.

NO is going to have to make some adjustments to his offensive philosophy for teams like sdsu. Reminded me a lot of ND last season and ucla the season before. Those type teams are his kryptonite

On the plus side I think Bediako took a big step forward in post season play while Sears and Miller faded away. jQ and miller took us out of the game with their numerous turnovers and JQs blocks in the paint.

Absolutely abused. Players and coaches alike. No confidence. No productive ball movement on offense, just panic mostly. Seemed we passed it to the other team as much as between each other. Brandon Miller just really didn't show offensively. What a disappointing finish.

Combine that with inconsistent 3 point shooting and I knew this would be a difficult ask.
Over the last couple of weeks I really thought we'd have a night where the threes just starting falling with ease but it never happened. I think we average hitting 10 threes for most of the season but over the last several weeks I think the most we hit in one game has been 6??

Always knew the 3 point shooting would finally end their season. Just beyond disappointing not to take advantage of this opportunity. Maybe it would have been different without the shooting and everything that followed. We will never know.

I thought you might discuss how inept Bama’s defense was against screens tonight and no adjustments made ...

SDSU is not a good offensive team, yet they could get an uncontested three or jump shot at the foul line at any time they chose.

I love the wide open offense Alabama runs.

However facing defenses like tonight and A&M and UT, the coaches do not have a team that can execute off the ball screens. Motion offenses literally mean movement

This is frustrating to watch.

While the offense is exciting, not having an organized approach can sometime play against you. Our players looked frozen at times.

I hope some tweaks occur there in the off-season.

The set play to Clowney in the beginning of the game is what I point to as having a plan when the other team punches you in the mouth.

The pressure caught up to Miller.

Not only did he shoot the ball poorly, but he was the number one contributor to SDSU’s resurgence and comeback with his bizarre turnovers.

We can argue whether Saban’s comments brought more eyes to the situation or were intentional, I’m glad that bama bball can move ahead without the scrutiny.

How many times did CBS have to reset the evening that the young lady was murdered?

I’m shocked bama played as well through the controversy as they did.

All in all a great season but one that I can honestly say ended as badly as possible.

Last edited:
You think Clowney is going pro? He does a lot of good things, but he doesn’t do anything great at this time of his young career...I know teams draft off of potential, but Primo was drafted early and is now out of the league..

Reactions: jmillerbama
You think Clowney is going pro? He does a lot of good things, but he doesn’t do anything great at this time of his young career...I know teams draft off of potential, but Primo was drafted early and is now out of the league..
You know primo would still be playing if he didn’t have an issue with showing his junk to women?

Clowney will be a good pro.

He has 3-4 atrocious tur overs and at critical points in the game. One of them started the big run by SDSU.
Bingo.. he actually had two that lead to points and then bama got tied up on a rebound in a free throw and SDSU scored there ..

19-4 run after bama took the lead …

Oats walks to the podium to discuss the game with media with most of his timeouts in his pocket

Reactions: Bhug
You know primo would still be playing if he didn’t have an issue with showing his junk to women?

Clowney will be a good pro.
He wasn’t playing before all that happened....He only played 4 games this year and 50 games the previous year (5.9 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 37%)

He wasn’t playing before all that happened....He only played 4 games this year and 50 games the previous year (5.9 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 37%)
Ok … lots a guys in the nba have those stats and a helluva paycheck.

Primo pissed his opp away.. I guess you can say he was a “flash” on the pan 🤭

He should have stayed and matured in college, but he got paid I guess or was his contract voided?

I thought you might discuss how inept Bama’s defense was against screens tonight and no adjustments made ...

SDSU is not a good offensive team, yet they could get an uncontested three or jump shot at the foul line at any time they chose.

I love the wide open offense Alabama runs.

However facing defenses like tonight and A&M and UT, the coaches do not have a team that can execute off the ball screens. Motion offenses literally mean movement

This is frustrating to watch.

While the offense is exciting, not having an organized approach can sometime play against you. Our players looked frozen at times.

I hope some tweaks occur there in the off-season.

The set play to Clowney in the beginning of the game is what I point to as having a plan when the other team punches you in the mouth.

The pressure caught up to Miller.

Not only did he shoot the ball poorly, but he was the number one contributor to SDSU’s resurgence and comeback with his bizarre turnovers.

We can argue whether Saban’s comments brought more eyes to the situation or were intentional, I’m glad that bama bball can move ahead without the scrutiny.

How many times did CBS have to reset the evening that the young lady was murdered?

I’m shocked bama played as well through the controversy as they did.

All in all a great season but one that I can honestly say ended as badly as possible.
Bro, less words. This is a message board, not your senior thesis.

• Haha
Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
I know war and peace , right?? Look for my next novel after next years NCAA Tourn loss

I know noone reads it but I’m pissed and blowing off steam

I read it, and your post is completely understandable and I agree.

Pay no attention to trolls.

Reactions: Drcohen
STFU. You're a wannabe here and on TMB. An embarrassment all the way around. The next time you set foot in a classroom in Tuscaloosa will be the first time. Clown. I'll work you and you'll like it.

Imma literally fvck you up at every opportunity. Change your handle.
Hahahahahaha. Get a load of this guy.

Ironic that some of the Old Timer Stars of the NBA are coming out and saying these players should remain in college and learn how to play the game and I agree that although Miller is a Great Talent he and Clowney both know the money is not going away from the NBA and why not wait and hone their game at the college level for one more year.

Did JQ set a record for most shots getting blocked? That was pitiful. And Millers mindless turnovers were baffling.
This ^^^
Miller's TOs and JQ getting his layup attempts blocked killed us. Couple that with poor shooting and you have a recipe for disaster.

Ironic that some of the Old Timer Stars of the NBA are coming out and saying these players should remain in college and learn how to play the game and I agree that although Miller is a Great Talent he and Clowney both know the money is not going away from the NBA and why not wait and hone their game at the college level for one more year.
Even if Miller could, he would be advised to go for two reasons : lottery pick and the cloud that follows the bball program with the harris murder

Clowney could benefit more … but will take the money too

Reactions: vegas man
Bingo.. he actually had two that lead to points and then bama got tied up on a rebound in a free throw and SDSU scored there ..

19-4 run after bama took the lead …

Oats walks to the podium to discuss the game with media with most of his timeouts in his pocket
"Oats walks to the podium to discuss the game with media with most of his timeouts in his pocket."

I told my wife last night that Oats should have used his TO's when SDSU started to make a comeback. SDSU's coach called a perfectly timed TO to stop our run when we were up 9. I would have also yanked JQ and discussed all those blocked shot attempts.

Last edited:
Perhaps the 2 best teams Alabama has ever had lost in big upsets in the Sweet 16/ both games played in Louisville. ‘87 and this year.

Easy to feel it is just not meant to be.

Reactions: tidertimintn
Perhaps the 2 best teams Alabama has ever had lost in big upsets in the Sweet 16/ both games played in Louisville. ‘87 and this year.

Don't start that crap today

SDSU was Texas A&M west coast with a deeper bench of bigs…

The game showcased oats and staff’s inabiiity to get their offense to adjust to a physical defense coupled with 3 out of the 6 worst shooting performances all occurring in March

You think Clowney is going pro? He does a lot of good things, but he doesn’t do anything great at this time of his young career..
I'm sure he will as nowadays the NBA seems to put so much into 'potential' when drafting these days, which is one of the many reasons why the NBA is so watered down and painful to watch. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Clowney needs to work on being able to create his own shot. He's made a living off of mostly shooting wide open threes or rebound put backs.

Reactions: Watson_2
"Oats walks to the podium to discuss the game with media with most of his timeouts in his pocket."

I told my wife last night that Oats should have used his TO's when SDSU started to make a comeback. SDSU's coach called a perfectly timed TO to stop our run when we were up 9. I would have also yanked JQ and discussed all those blocked shot attempts.
I sure wanted him to take a timeout. The SDSU timeout turned the game completely around. I was hoping one might help us also.

I sure wanted him to take a timeout. The SDSU timeout turned the game completely around. I was hoping one might help us also.
Exactly! I kept yelling at the TV for Oats to call a TO, but I guess he couldn't hear me. 😥

Exactly! I kept yelling at the TV for Oats to call a TO, but I guess he couldn't hear me. 😥
This had nothing to do with Alabama losing the game.....The reason Alabama lost was 25/71 from the field, 3/27 on threes and Clowney, Miller, Quinnerly going 8/38, 2/16 on threes

This had nothing to do with Alabama losing the game.....The reason Alabama lost was 25/71 from the field, 3/27 on threes and Clowney, Miller, Quinnerly going 8/38, 2/16 on threes
Bottom line when you get to this level your star player has to play well and Miller for whatever reason did not. When that happened JQ decided he had to do it all and got about 40 shots blocked driving to the basket. We played like we were afraid we were going to loose. Early we could not handle their on ball pressure and I think they got in our head. We had a number of calls go against us and we let it effect is too much as well. When we came out with great energy in the 2nd half and built a 9 point lead and allowed it to evaporate in what seemed like 1 minute, I think we no longer believed we could win. Great season but disappointing ending to say the least. I still believe in Coach Oats and his system. You do not win 30 plus games in a great league with a flawed system.

Bottom line is: When you get to the Tournament you got to bring your "A" Game every game especially when you get to the Sweet Sixteen. Bama did not last night and SDS did.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT