ADVERTISEMENT

we have had some good

mr4bama

All American
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2017
bama teams in the past. 1976, 1983, 1987, the early 90`s and the elight 8 run. if we ever get fully healthy i think this is our best team ever. its looking like miller and clowney will be 1 and done and bradley and burnett will not be far behind unless they get an outrageous nil deal. i hope recruits are watching how bama plays. confidence is at an all-time high for bama basketball. roll tide

I am very happy, so far, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. The ‘87 team is still, probably, the best in my time watching Bama bb. The team the year before the elite 8 run was definitely better than the elite 8 team. Clowney is a really good player for us, but I still don’t think he will be a one and done. Just my opinion. Burnett needs to get healthy. He has not shown anywhere near enough offensively to leave for the pros yet. This is as excited as I have been, at this juncture in the season, since ‘90 or ‘02. Miller is a special player that a team can really ride in the tournament when they need it. That is a big missing piece that most teams don’t have, which gives us a chance at a real run in the NCAA tournament. With that said, even if we are a #1 or #2 seed, after the 1st rd, the tournament becomes somewhat of a crap shot. Illlinois was playing as well as anybody going into the tournament last year, and lost to St Joseph’s in the 2nd rd. It happens almost every year. All we can ask for is a team with a realistic chance to win it all. It is looking good so far. 😃

I am very happy, so far, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. The ‘87 team is still, probably, the best in my time watching Bama bb. The team the year before the elite 8 run was definitely better than the elite 8 team. Clowney is a really good player for us, but I still don’t think he will be a one and done. Just my opinion. Burnett needs to get healthy. He has not shown anywhere near enough offensively to leave for the pros yet. This is as excited as I have been, at this juncture in the season, since ‘90 or ‘02. Miller is a special player that a team can really ride in the tournament when they need it. That is a big missing piece that most teams don’t have, which gives us a chance at a real run in the NCAA tournament. With that said, even if we are a #1 or #2 seed, after the 1st rd, the tournament becomes somewhat of a crap shot. Illlinois was playing as well as anybody going into the tournament last year, and lost to St Joseph’s in the 2nd rd. It happens almost every year. All we can ask for is a team with a realistic chance to win it all. It is looking good so far. 😃
i would love to have clowney back next year but he keeps poping up in mock drafts.

They say the 76 was the best ever. Got beat by the last undefeated team Indiana and we got a couple of really bad calls near the end or we would have won. Bobby Knight said we were the best team they played all year.
i think we were good enough to win it all in 76 and 87 but you also have to have a little luck. seems like our luck was bad luck back then.

They say the 76 was the best ever. Got beat by the last undefeated team Indiana and we got a couple of really bad calls near the end or we would have won. Bobby Knight said we were the best team they played all year.
The 76 team was my all-time favorite. I have been attending games since the Foster Aud days and they were so good. This team might beat them because the game has changed and that team only played 8 guys most of the time. This team has more overall talent but if you never saw Reggie King play you missed something special. This may be our best chance for a final 4 since then .

bama teams in the past. 1976, 1983, 1987, the early 90`s and the elight 8 run. if we ever get fully healthy i think this is our best team ever. its looking like miller and clowney will be 1 and done and bradley and burnett will not be far behind unless they get an outrageous nil deal. i hope recruits are watching how bama plays. confidence is at an all-time high for bama basketball. roll tide
I agree about Miller moving on, but not so sure about Clowney. He needs to work on his game a little more IMO.

I was stationed at NAS OCEANA in VABEACH and I remember vividly watching the 76 team in the tourney. I was highly disappointed in the outcome, yet proud as hell of the team.

I agree about Miller moving on, but not so sure about Clowney. He needs to work on his game a little more IMO.
I don't disagree with you but I think he gets to work on his game while getting paid and moving towards a second NBA contract.

I don't disagree with you but I think he gets to work on his game while getting paid and moving towards a second NBA contract.
My school of thought is: How much $$$ are you leaving on the table when you bail early? In other words, why settle for chump-change, when you can get paid a hell of a lot more being a high draft pick. I don't know his personal situation, so leaving early may be in his best interest, but if he could hang on for another semester, it may make a world of difference salarywise (see Herb Jones for example).

My school of thought is: How much $$$ are you leaving on the table when you bail early? In other words, why settle for chump-change, when you can get paid a hell of a lot more being a high draft pick. I don't know his personal situation, so leaving early may be in his best interest, but if he could hang on for another semester, it may make a world of difference salarywise (see Herb Jones for example).
Plus, with NIL, which I have no idea what that may be, it is not like you are getting nothing if you stay. If you are not a guaranteed 1st rd pick, your point rings all the more true.

Reactions: lainey2020
Plus, with NIL, which I have no idea what that may be, it is not like you are getting nothing if you stay. If you are not a guaranteed 1st rd pick, your point rings all the more true.
I may be wrong but I don't think kids view college as the last step before NBA any longer. It's a brief step towards the NBA or a multitude of other leagues that get kids paid now. No way to know what Clowney will become but JD Davison was the 53rd pick and his salary was $508k. I doubt Clowney slides out of the first round so he is going to be making significantly more. Havn't heard of any Bball kids at Bama getting crazy NIL money.

Reactions: lainey2020
I may be wrong but I don't think kids view college as the last step before NBA any longer. It's a brief step towards the NBA or a multitude of other leagues that get kids paid now. No way to know what Clowney will become but JD Davison was the 53rd pick and his salary was $508k. I doubt Clowney slides out of the first round so he is going to be making significantly more. Havn't heard of any Bball kids at Bama getting crazy NIL money.
I haven’t followed the NBA in over 20 years, but I know kids are getting one year $500k contracts in the G league if they aren’t 1st rd picks. Being a 1st rd pick used to get you a guaranteed, multi year contract. I imagine it is safe to still assume that. Like I said earlier, I have no idea what, if any, NIL $ there is for certain Bama bb players. Clowney still seems pretty raw to me, but the NBA doesn’t seem to care anymore if you have special talent. I just think if he stayed another year he is the type of player who could really improve his draft position/$. Even without me following the NBA, I still find it amazing that a player as raw as I still view Clowney is a guaranteed 1st rd pick, though I heard the same about Petty and Kennedy Winston their freshman years too. Primo being a mid 1st rd pick still surprises me, since he did really nothing his one year here, so who knows?

The 76 team was my all-time favorite. I have been attending games since the Foster Aud days and they were so good. This team might beat them because the game has changed and that team only played 8 guys most of the time. This team has more overall talent but if you never saw Reggie King play you missed something special. This may be our best chance for a final 4 since then .
i loved watching mule king play. one of the more underrated power forwards we had was eddie phillips. i think he is second behind mule on bama`s all-time scoring list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT