ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting What it means: Isaiah Buggs

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
The commitment

Isaiah Buggs, five-star defensive tackle from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston, revealed his intentions to sign with Alabama on Tuesday. I've said for about a week now the momentum was shifting in the Tide's direction, and predicted Buggs to sign with Alabama on Monday.

This is a truly amazing accomplishment for the Crimson Tide coaching staff in landing the top JuCo DL in the country. At a position of major need. I've seen reporters from different sides say Alabama didn't even start recruiting Buggs until a month ago. Sometimes I don't understand where people get their information from these days. Most everyone on this board, and those who cover Alabama recruiting, have known Buggs has been a top target for Alabama almost the entire year.

Alabama heavily recruited him several months ago led by the efforts of former DL coach Bo Davis. Alabama actually expected to receive an early commitment from him back in the spring with Buggs heavily favoring the Tude. Alabama continued to heavily pursue Buggs after the departure of Davis, but knew it was on the outside looking in with having to put a new DL coach in place and re-establishing a relationship. Other programs such as LSU and Auburn were able to capitalize during the transition, and gain an edge in his recruitment.

You never can count out who I consider the best recruiter in the country, Nick Saban and his coaching staff. The Tide's performance on the field, Jonathan Allen's countless awards, and the unbelievable job the coaching staff did in recruiting Buggs and his family throughout the year helped land the elite prospect. No, everyone else, Alabama didn't just start recruiting him. It's called a year long recruitment without ever giving up on a prospect.

The player

"Massive kid who could play outside or inside and has rare athleticism for his size," said Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell. "Arrives with a thump, runs plays down like a smaller end and has excellent technique. His inside pass rush move is awesome and blows up so many plays."

The numbers

Well, you can stop worrying (as much) about the defensive line class. Alabama just picked up a massive one on the defensive line. This is a tremendous get for the Crimson Tide, and he will arrive in January ready to go to work. Buggs gives Alabama two commitments on the defensive front to go along with Akial Byers, four-star defensive tackle (who I expect to play DE) from Fayetteville High School in Arkansas.

Buggs is a great addition, but Alabama is still seeking more numbers in the class. Can they get another five-star in Aubrey Solomon, defensive tackle from Lee County High School in Leesburg, Georgia? He remains a top priority. It's a very close, intense battle for Solomon at this time. Alabama, Georgia, Auburn and Michigan are all in the race. I expect his decision to come down to Alabama and Georgia. He won't announce until closer to signing day.

Javon Kinlaw, junior college defensive tackle from Jones County Community College in Ellisville, is not enrolling in January. The former South Carolina commitment is still heavily targeted by Alabama. It will come down to Bama and South Carolina IMO.

I still expect LaBryan Ray, Rivals100 defense end from James Clemens High School in Madison, Alabama, in this class.

Josh Kaindoh, five-star defensive end from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, remains in play. He is expected to announce at the Under Armour All-America game. FSU still looks in good shape here, but Bama has closed the gap.

Alabama has felt pretty good about Phildarian Mathis, three-star defensive tackle from Neville High School in Monroe, Louisiana, for a while. I've heard some possible grade issues. Elijah Conliffe, four-star defensive tackle from Hampton High School in Virginia, is still recruited by Alabama. Just behind a few other guys right now.

No, Marvin Wilson and Tyler Shelvin will not sign with Alabama. Some have asked if Isaiah Wilson is considered by Alabama as an OL and DL. Answer- No.

I don't expect Chauncey Rivers, junior college defensive tackle from East Mississippi in Scooba, to join the class, unless Alabama just completely whiffs on all these other targets.

Alabama wil sign a great defensive line class. Just trust in Nick Saban. This is a very important position for the coaching staff, and they won't get to signing day with disappointment at the position in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News