ADVERTISEMENT

What to watch for heading into Alabama's game against New Mexico State

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

After narrowly avoiding an upset to LSU, Alabama will look to regroup this weekend as it takes a break from SEC action to host New Mexico State on Saturday at 11 a.m. CT. Alabama (8-1) is currently a 52-point favorite over New Mexico State (1-8), according to VegasInsider.

Here are five things to watch heading into the matchup.

Changes at center?​

Alabama is keeping its options open at the center position as starter Darrian Dalcourt recovers from a lateral ankle sprain he suffered during last weekend’s game against LSU. The junior sustained the injury following the Crimson Tide’s opening drive and did not return to the game. Wednesday, Saban continued to list him as day-to-day, stating he “can’t really make a call right now” as to whether the offensive lineman will be available for the game against New Mexico State.

“He dressed out today, didn’t really do a whole lot,” Saban said of Dalcourt. “If he can do some things tomorrow then maybe he can play in the game, but we’ll have to just wait and see.”

Dalcourt has started at center in each of Alabama’s nine games this season. Following his injury last week, he was replaced by Chris Owens, who slid over from right tackle while Damieon George took over the right tackle role.

Alabama’s offensive line struggled against LSU, surrendering four sacks while failing to provide much push in the running game as the Tide managed just 6 yards on the ground. Owens, who filled in at center for an injured Landon Dickerson during Alabama’s run in the College Football Playoff last season, recorded a season-worst 41.8 offensive grade from Pro Football Focus for last week’s game against LSU.

“I do think we have competition at the position,” Saban said during Wednesday’s SEC teleconference. “Chris [Owens] has played there before, but we also have some young guys that have played the position that have done very well. We want to evaluate and see what gives us the best chance to be successful in the game, and we’ll do that throughout the week.”

If Dalcourt is unavailable, Alabama’s most likely option outside of Owens is Seth McLaughlin. The sophomore has made 23 offensive snaps at center over five appearances this season but did not play during last week’s game against LSU.

“Seth would be the next guy up,” Saban said. “He’s made a lot of improvement, plays really well. He’s really smart. He’s tough, he’s competitive, and he plays with the intangibles we’re looking for at that position."

Another option would be four-star freshman James Brockermeyer who ranked as the No. 4 center in this year’s recruiting class. Starting right guard Emil Ekiyor Jr. has also practiced at center during his Alabama career. Although, moving him to the position would cause the Tide to reshuffle its lineup even further.

Depth at defensive back​

Alabama was also dealt a midseason blow to its depth in the secondary. However, it had nothing to do with injuries.

Monday, defensive back Marcus Banks announced his decision to move on from Alabama, placing his name in the NCAA transfer portal. The junior has since been removed from the team’s online roster and will no longer be a part of the Tide’s plans this season.

“Look, it’s our goal and aspiration when we recruit every player here to help them be successful personally, academically, athletically, and we wanna continue to try to do that every way we can with every player,” Saban said during Wednesday’s SEC teleconference. “But the circumstances that we have now where players can decide to leave the team and go someplace else, we have to adapt to that.”

Banks’ decision to transfer comes after Alabama elected to replace injured starter Josh Jobe with five-star freshman Kool-Aid McKinstry during last week’s game against LSU. Jobe did not start the game due to a turf toe injury that kept him out in practice earlier in the week. The junior eventually saw action in the second half after Jalyn Armour-Davis left the game with a rib injury. Both Armour-Davis and Jobe are expected to be available for this weekend’s game against New Mexico State.

McKinstry has performed solidly in his first season with the Tide, recording an interception and a pass breakup to go with nine tackles over eight appearances. Making his second career start last weekend, the Birmingham, Ala. native allowed a 13-yard reception on his only target of the night.

“He played OK in the game,” Saban said Monday of McKinstry’s performance against LSU. “I thought he did a good job. There’s always things we can improve on. Did a pretty good job of covering in the game. Didn’t make mental errors. He was well prepared. He didn’t do anything that was costly to us in the game. So he did OK.”

Outside of McKinstry, Armour-Davis and Jobe, Alabama’s depth at cornerback includes JUCO transfer Khyree Jackson, sophomore Jahquez Robinson and freshman Terrion Arnold.

“I’m encouraged by the players that we have on the team and very much committed to coaching those guys,” Saban said Wednesday. “So we’re making progress at that position, and I’m not discouraged at all by the players that we have.”

Dallas Turner's improvement​

While Alabama’s depth is dwindling at other positions, the Tide received a boost at outside linebacker last week as Drew Sanders was cleared from a hand/wrist injury that kept him out three games. The sophomore saw the field for just three snaps on defense and four more on kickoff coverage against LSU as Alabama elected to ease him back into action.

Fortunately for the Tide, freshman Dallas Turner continued to pick up the slack, tallying a season-best five tackles including his first two college sacks against the Tigers.

“I went up to him at the end of the game and I told him how proud I am of him,” fellow Alabama outside linebacker Will Anderson Jr. said after last week’s game. “Every day he comes to practice, he works hard. He watches film all the time. He asks questions, he wants to learn. Football is the most important thing to him. I’m so proud of him. He’s stepping up, taking a big role when we have people down. That’s all I can say. He loves football and he’s hungry.”

Turner joined Alabama over the summer as the No. 1 outside linebacker in this year’s class. The five-star defender has started two games over nine appearances this season, recording 16 tackles, including three stops for a loss and two sacks.

“Dallas is doing real well,” Defensive tackle D.J. Dale said. “He’s bought into the system, he’s surrounded by a group of guys that’s teaching him very well. He’s very observant, he listens and he’s just a hard worker. I feel like Will Anderson’s a good role model for him, and I feel like the sky is the limit for Dallas.”

Will Anderson's Heisman campaign​

While Turner shined against LSU, his performance was overshadowed by Anderson, who earned Bednarik Award Player of the Week honors after piling up a team-high 12 tackles, including 1.5 sacks and four stops for a loss. He also registered two quarterback hurries and a pass breakup on the night.

Through nine games, Anderson leads the nation with 21 tackles for a loss and ranks tied for second nationally with 10.5 sacks. His 21 stops for a loss are the most for an Alabama player since Wallace Gilberry recorded 27 during the entire 2007 season and rank third on the team’s single-season record list.

Along with his national recognition, those numbers have generated a bit of Heisman buzz for Anderson this week. While the five-star defender was quick to shrug off such talk following the game against LSU, his teammates were a bit less shy to sing his praises earlier this week.

“Oh yeah, I feel like Will has had an outstanding season,” said wide receiver Jameson Williams, who previously played with former Heisman finalist edge rusher Chase Young at Ohio State. “I’ve seen Chase Young. I’ve been at O State, I’ve seen Chase Young. But Will Anderson, oh yeah. He’s for real. I feel like he deserves everything that is being brought to him, Heisman talk, whatever it is."

Following the win over LSU, defensive back Malachi Moore showed his support for his teammate tweeting “Will Anderson for Heisman!!

“I think he’s very deserving of that award, in my opinion,” Moore said. “I feel like this season, Will has just continued to separate himself from the season he had last year every week, and every day, he continues to get better and better.

“He doesn’t let it affect him, though. He doesn’t let the outside noise affect, and he goes to work every day like he has a chip on his shoulder.”

Alabama's mindset​

New Mexico State is one of the worst teams in the Division I level and stands virtually no chance of upsetting Alabama this weekend. However, Tide players know better than to overlook an opponent as they are well aware of their head coach’s standards heading into matchups like these.

Saban didn’t harken back to his memorable “tin horn” speech when discussing this week’s seemingly overmatched opponent but did refer to New Mexico State as “dangerous” due to its passing attack which ranks No. 23 in the nation, averaging 278.4 yards per game through the air.

That message was heard loud and clear by his players.

“Definitely having the same energy no matter who we’re playing, where we’re playing, keeping guys honed in to what we’ve got to do,” linebacker Henry To’o To’o said when asked about the team’s focus level this week. “That’s our entire goal. We take every single week seriously. It’s on us to keep the team together and keep that same progress.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News