ADVERTISEMENT

What we learned: Alabama shakes off adversity in blowout win over LSU

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
Not much went wrong during Alabama’s 55-17 victory over LSU on Saturday. However, the Crimson Tide’s trip to Baton Rouge didn’t come without complications.

A week after playing without Nick Saban on the sideline, Alabama was missing four of its assistant coaches Saturday as Karl Scott (cornerbacks), Freddie Roach (defensive line), Sal Sunseri (outside linebackers) and Holmon Wiggins (receivers) didn’t travel with the team.

While the reason behind the coaches’ absence was not revealed, Saban stated that the team knew Thursday that its staff would be short-handed and made adaptations to compensate. Among the changes, defensive analysts Charlie Strong and Nick Perry were promoted to on-field roles.

“It was a big challenge,” Alabama linebacker Dylan Moses said, “but we have really great assistants.”

While Alabama’s makeshift staff performed adequately Saturday night, the Tide experienced some added adversity before arriving at Tiger Stadium. According to Saban, the team’s hotel suffered a power outage that forced players and staff to make their final preparations in the dark. The head coach said the outage occurred as the team was heading into its religious service and lasted through the pregame meal.

Although even that wasn’t enough to deter the Tide en route to a blowout victory later in the night.

“You know, stuff happens, and everybody just keeps on keeping on because a lot of things happen,” Saban said. “I mean, I was out last week, we had coaches out this week, but our players just stayed focused. I think when you have good culture on your team and you establish that culture with your team, they can adapt and adjust to things that don’t go exactly like they expect it to. We certainly had a lot of opportunity to learn how to do that this season.

Saturday’s setbacks paled in comparison to last week when the Tide was forced to make do without Saban after the head coach tested positive for COVID-19. After being cleared to return to his team late this week, Saban said it didn’t take him long to get back into the fold.

“It’s funny. It was a really tough adaptation to stay home and do everything from home, and then I felt actually sort of out of place going to work,” Saban said. “But it didn’t take long. I mean, it was about 15 minutes and I fit right back in. Miss Terry wasn’t on me anymore, and I was able to get on other people in the office. It was good, and it was great to be back with the players.

“I really appreciate the fact that several players were happy to see me back. It was good, it was all good.”

Alabama gets its revenge

Heading into its matchup against LSU, Alabama did its best to downplay any sense of revenge stemming from last year’s defeat to the Tigers. However, even before the first whistle blew, it was obvious this one meant a little bit more for the Tide.

Hours before kickoff, several Alabama players took to social media, posting their feelings on the matchup. Freshman receiver Traeshon Holden wrote: “It’s always business but this one personall,” while also posting a video of Ed Oregon’s infamously profanity-laced version of Alabama’s Roll Tide chant. Fellow freshman receiver Javon Baker and junior linebacker Ale Kaho quote tweeted Holden, expressing similar sentiments.

“We all obviously remember what happened last year,” redshirt junior linebacker Dylan Moses said following the game, “but we all wanted to come in and do our job.”

There were times where emotions ran high. Moses admits the game was a little chippy, stating LSU players tried to get in Alabama players’ heads on a couple of occasions. The same can be said vice versa as Tide center Landon Dickerson vigorously motioned Tigers defensive lineman Jaquelin Roy after drawing him offside.

There were a couple of big hits as well. LSU safety Jacoby Stevens was flagged for a late hit on Najee Harris after tackling the Alabama running back out of bounds on a big run in the first quarter. Later in the half, Tide safety Daniel Wright was ejected for targeting.

“Yeah, it was most definitely chippy,” Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith said. “It wasn’t necessarily going out there and trying to do that, just trying to protect my teammates and make sure we get back to the sideline and nobody got hurt.”

Alabama players also had some fun following the win as sophomore defensive lineman Byron Young quote tweeted a video of a tirade from Orgeron with a caption that read “Roll tide what?” Fellow defensive lineman Phidarian Mathis also quote tweeted the tirade, stating “Get the Gat for that manne!” a reference to LSU’s viral dance video last season.

Louisiana natives had happy homecoming

Alabama boasts six starters from the state of Louisiana. All of them found their way onto the stat sheet Saturday night.

Smith, an Amite, La. native, stole the show on offense with eight receptions for 231 yards and three touchdowns. Meanwhile, fellow receiver and West Monroe, La., native Slade Bolden had a reception for 19 yards.

Alabama has three linebackers who played high school ball in Baton Rouge, La. in Moses, Christian Harris and Christopher Allen. Harris finished with seven tackles and half a sack, while Moses and Allen had three tackles apiece. Allen also had a tackle for a loss and stripped the ball away from LSU tight end Arik Gilbert for a fumble recovery. Mathis, a Wisner, La. native, earned the start at defensive end, tallying three tackles.

Tide bits

— Saturday’s redemption win over LSU brings Alabama’s record to 18-2 in revenge games under Nick Saban. The only time the Tide has lost to an opponent in back-to-back years under the head coach occurred against LSU (2010-2011) and Ole Miss (2014-2015). Alabama also avenged last year’s loss to Auburn with a 42-13 victory over the Tigers in this year’s Iron Bowl.

— Alabama’s 55 points against LSU were the most scored by either team in the rivalry’s 85-game history.

— Alabama has now scored 35 or more points in each of its last 22 games, the longest streak in major-college football history. Oregon scored at least 35 points in 15 consecutive games from Nov. 5, 2011 through a Nov. 17, 2012. Alabama’s last game of not posting 35-or-more points came in its 44-16 loss to Clemson in the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship Game.

— Saturday’s victory marked the first time Alabama had one player record three receiving touchdowns and another player record three rushing touchdowns in the same game. Smith’s three touchdowns through the air were met by three scores on the ground from Najee Harris, who ran for 145 yards on 21 carries.

— Alabama recorded a season-high five sacks against LSU, bringing its total to 19 on the year. The five sacks were the most the Tide has recorded in a game since last year’s loss to LSU where it also had five sacks.

— Dating back to last season, Alabama kicker Will Reichard has made 11 straight field goals, including all 10 attempts in 2020. The streak of 11 straight makes is the fourth-longest in the country. Arizona State’s Cristian Zendejas leads with 13 straight made field goals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News