ADVERTISEMENT

Who's your top breakout candidates (excluding true freshmen)

Jbone100

All American
Jun 27, 2012
Excluding freshmen, who do you guys like as our best breakout candidates on both offense and defense? Below is my list:

Offense:
  1. Najee Harris: Stardom is calling and he's ready to answer the bell, watch out nation.
  2. Alex Leatherwood: He looked so good at LT as a freshman against UGA. I'm thinking he claims that spot for next year and takes big strides. Some people think that it's easier for any OL to play guard versus tackle but it isn't always the case. I can see Leatherwood settling in on the outside this year.
  3. Brian Robinson: There's little doubting his talent or drive. Now he finally has the opportunity. Does he have the vision/patience to be elite though?
  4. Emil Ekiyor: One or two guys have to step up on the interior (especially while Brown is suspended). Chris Owens is also in line for a big role but I like Ekiyor as a guy who can help get our run game back on track.
  5. Tyrell Shavers: This one's no slam dunk due to competition at WR but could the expected sharp decline in TE targets open the door for the big bodied receiver to carve out a new role?
Defense:
  1. Patrick Surtain: Performed admirably as a true freshman but I have a feeling he really turns it on in year 2. Despite all the great CBs Saban has had at UA, very few (if any) have been as consistent as consistent as he was during their freshmen campaign.
  2. Labryan Ray: He's looked great in spurts but we didn't sub out our starters on the DL as often as in the past last year. He's ready to become a force.
  3. Phidarian Mathis: He was very active and disruptive against Oklahoma when Q got gassed and needed to sub out. We knew about his size/athleticism combo but he showed an outstanding motor this year too. Improve his hands a bit and he will be a terror.
  4. Chris Allen: Big, tough and versatile. He was closer than some realize to becoming a star before getting injured last year. If he bounces back he will find a big role somewhere, even if he isn't a day 1 starter.
  5. Ale Kaho: Started to go with Anoma or Latu here but decided to roll the dice on Kaho due to the idea that Allen will emerge on the outside (as a 3rd OLB behind Hall & Jennings) while the door is wide open for Kaho to step up and take an ILB position. Not sure that he will be a day 1 starter in the base D but I'd be surprised if he isn't at least a starter in certain sub-packages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News