ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama linebacker Terrell Lewis won't be back 'anytime soon'

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
gajxltivxs4wamiaksk6

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Not so fast. After a week’s worth of speculation, Alabama head coach Nick Saban poured cold water on the idea of linebacker Terrell Lewis’ availability for Saturday’s SEC Championship Game against Georgia. Lewis, who underwent surgery on a torn ACL less than five months ago, returned to practice this week. However, according to Saban, the linebacker is just in “the next phase of his rehab.”

“Every player goes through, OK, I can straight line run, I can run on the treadmill, I can start to cut and I can start to do football-related-type stuff. But that does not at all mean that he’s been cleared to play football or even has it been discussed that he would play football."

Saban said Lewis is doing some individual drill during practice but has not yet progressed to “football-related contact.” This week, the junior linebacker was seen participating in individual drills while wearing a brace on his right leg.

“When he passes this phase, we’ll go to the next phase,” Saban said. “And it’s a medical decision as to when he might be ready to play, but it’s certainly not anytime soon.”

No. 1 Alabama will play No. 4 Georgia on Saturday at 3 p.m. CT inside of Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The Crimson Tide will be vying for its 27th SEC title as well as a fifth straight trip to the College Football Playoff.

Reactions: StablerCountry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News