ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama's two-QB set has players excited

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
iokujp5rffanqhyojpss

The newest wrinkle in Alabama’s high-flying offense has become quite the hit with its players. Quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts haven’t shared the field much this season, but when they do good things tend to happen.

That was the case during last week’s Orange Bowl victory over Oklahoma as Hurts joined Tagovailoa during Alabama’s third possession.

It started as the Crimson Tide split Tagovailoa out wide while putting Hurts behind center. On his first snap, Hurts completed a 10-yard pass to running back Damien Harris. The backup quarterback then carried the ball for a 4-yard gain to the Oklahoma 1-yard line before subbing out and allowing Tagovailoa to hand the ball off to Harris for a touchdown.

Hurts was back on the field to start Alabama’s next drive, this time lining up at receiver with Tagovailoa behind center. Going into motion, Hurts took a shovel pass from Tagovailoa for 9 yards. Hurts later moved behind center, handing the ball off to Josh Jacobs. The drive was eventually capped off by a touchdown as Tagovailoa retook his spot behind center and completed a pass to Jacobs for a 27-yard score.

“I kind of get excited because I know something good is about to happen,” Alabama safety Xavier McKinney said of the two-quarterback set. “Just to have both of these two guys out there on the field at the same time, that’s pretty amazing. Between the both of them, there’s a lot of different things that they can do in that one play or whatever they’re running.”

While Alabama has already shown plenty of looks form the unique formation, the Crimson Tide might not have even scratched the surface of possibilities with both quarterbacks on the field.

“We’ve had different things that utilize me in different ways throughout the whole year,” Hurts said after the game. “Some things weren’t used early on. Some things were thrown out…I am a football player. I like to play. Any way these guys can get me on the field, I love it.”

Hurts isn’t the only one enjoying himself in the new formation. Tagovailoa said he has no problem sharing the spotlight with his fellow quarterback.

“It’s really fun. I think it’s fun for the fans, as well,” Tagovailoa said. “You know, no one knows who’s going to get the ball. And if I get the ball, I mean, it would be unique because I don’t run as much. And when Jalen gets the ball, he can run and he can throw it as well.”

Hurts’ 9-yard reception against Oklahoma was his second of the season. He also caught a 7-yard slant against Missouri which set up a field goal. Alabama has primarily utilized Hurts’ running ability in the package, but the 6-foot-2, 218-pound quarterback could possibly serve as an aerial weapon in the future. While he’s only seen a handful of passes come his way during games, Hurts has been known to flash his receiving skills during warmups in practice.

“I think he has good hands,” tight end Irv Smith Jr. said. “I've never really seen him do too much but I feel like he has good hands.”

Regardless of how Alabama uses Hurts moving forward, it will provide one more thing for Clemson to worry about during next week’s national championship game.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban hasn’t been opposed to adding new wrinkles in previous games against Clemson. During last year’s Sugar Bowl, Hurts completed a 1-yard pass to defensive lineman Da’Ron Payne out of the goal-line formation. The year before that, receiver ArDarius Stewart caught a backward pass from Hurts before firing a 24-yard strike to tight end O.J. Howard. There was also the famous successful onside kick in the fourth quarter of the 2016 national championship game which helped Alabama pull out a 45-40 victory over Clemson.

"I think when you're playing against a very good team and you anticipate that it's going to be a really tight game that you're always looking for somewhere or someplace in the game where you can create an advantage for yourself and try to put your players in the best position to have a chance to be successful," Saban said. "You know, I think we do that for every game, but I think when you play in games like this, sometimes those plays can have a huge impact because it's probably going to be a pretty close game."

No. 1 Alabama will most likely find itself in another tight game as it takes on No. 2 Clemson for the national title on Monday at 7 p.m. CT inside of Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.

Don’t be surprised if the Crimson Tide has a couple of tricks — and quarterbacks — up it’s sleeve if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News